Tree of Savior Forum

Wizard SupportTank Theorycrafting

Obviously this is a bit strange, but what if it were possible to have a basically immune Wizard Support?

W1 - C1 - L2 - Thaum 3

Cryomancer Passive attribute gives 125% of your Shield Defense to Magic defense and Ice Property Defense.

Wizard Gives Lethargy debuffs + Slash buff.

Linker 2 gives you better grinding + group appeal.

Thaum 3 gives +271 Physical and Magical defense with a Shield.

2x Elements Dance gives +294 Fire, Ice, Poison and Lightning defense properties ( -210 Magic Defense ).

Guardian gives +25 Fire/Ice/Poison defense.

Aspersion gives +68% defense?

With decent gear/ehances, your looking at around 1400 physical defense, 1000 magical defense, 500 Ice Resist, 325 Fire/Poison/Lightning resist.

Even a boss in one of the resist stats will hit you for peanuts.

You can stat pretty much anyway you want.

You have decent group appeal being L2 + Thaum 3.

Just a thought.

For PvM, defense and magical defense actually scale pretty horribly. Monsters won’t hit you for bonus dmg depending on your type of armor/element afaik, so defense is just a flat -dmg, where the dmg reduction is equal to your defense.

Elemental resists work the same way.

So if a monster hits you for 5k (common in endgame), assuming the hit is magical, it’ll go down to 4k… not worth it at all.

(Lethargy’s base debuff also falls off really hard endgame, to the point you won’t even notice a difference. It’s only worthwhile for its attribute.)

I recommend you read the current mechanics guide, the damage formula is listed there. It will also support you in your endeavors for theorycrafting.

https://github.com/vyne1/tos-mechanics/blob/master/ToS%20Mechanics.pdf

Monsters do have damage types on their attacks.
You will at times take more damage for wearing plate because you are being hit by Strike type damage, and you can rectify this by switching armor types.

Oh, I didn’t know. Thanks for the info.

Point still stands that defense scales very badly in pvm though. If Strike-type is a problem, you can have an advantageous Leather/Cloth top prepared, and still get the 3-set Plate bonus.

It depends on the mob to be frank.
Multi-hits count defense multiple times, so against multi-hits your defense is a greater factor.

Even relatively speaking defense is still significant when you wager that 300 defense you got from Plate top, bottom and Shield, is 10% of a 3000 damage physical hit.

However for OP’s deal I think its off. Thauma is a support that is boosting everyones defense, the Thauma itself gets no more benefit than anyone else in the party and it doesn’t really imply them to be a tank. Casting Lethargy is conceptually nice but its just a waste of cast time later. Even still Thauma can shrink mobs to reduce their physical/magical damage 75%.

I think the overall issue is the consideration of passive defense over active defense in a game that is overall action combat.
Passive defense is nice for damage you can’t avoid and enemies you can’t CC, but most of the attacks in this game can be avoided and the enemies can be CC’d. Focusing too much on passive defense and you lose sight of how you should be playing.

Against multihits yes, def’s decent, so it’s not like it has zero significance. I just don’t think it’s worth it building everything around it, rather than some other form of mitigation.

In Earth Tower 7F, for example, mobs easily hit you for 6~8k dmg. What is 1000 def going to do in that case? You can’t dodge everything either, so you need some form of control or mitigation (in this case the mobs are just perma-CC’d), but if you’re going to mitigate then it’s much better to go with something like Shrink.

I understand your point though. But well, support is support… the DPSs’ll be the ones doing the dodging most of the time, it’s a support’s job to supplement them when they fail or can’t dodge.

Going from 9k damage to 8k is a 12% reduction. That’s not bad at all especially since its all passive.

But like I said this game is about active options, if you focus too much on taking attacks with your face no matter who you are, you’re going to make life harder for yourself :slight_smile: