Tree of Savior Forum

US mentality behind regional servers

Im not, i know more words in spanish than french. Only french i know is baguette :smiley:

PS : insulting me or disrespecting my point of view wont move this conversation any further, its less helpful and reasonable than what i say and you keep undermining.

Can I now make a thread titled…

“EU selfish mentality behind self-entitlement”?

Or some other garbage thread name that isn’t in English.

2 Likes

First, no one thinks NA is the hub of anywhere. It’s just there’s safe, reliable server hosting here for a nominal cost compared to other areas and player density. When you factor in the load of people from just iCBT2, there has to be a balance between cost and efficiency. This was the solution. You also may want to actually look at the cost of hosting a dedicated server.

I’ve seen posts saying there were 150k players during the last test. I’m going to take that down to 100k. That would be around 25K players across Europe. Let’s say that the cost of on server that can handle 7k players is 100K per year in that country. So you’d need 4 servers, hoping that the population would spread itself out properly amongst them.

That’s 400k just in hosting fees. For a population that you’re not entirely sure is going to have enough long term, paying players to sustain itself. The initial sales data was also low because of the local community’s understandable hesitancy in preordering the game due to all of the concerns we see on this forum.

OR you could choose to focus on a different location with higher ping, but more players would have access and the server hosting is around 75K. For the same number of servers you’re paying 1/4th less cost (300k). You also have seen that the players in location B have been purchasing your preorders at a higher rate and higher average cost than the other countries.

Which makes more sense?

A) Take the financial risk of localized servers at a higher cost and higher chance for the population/monetization to die off. Yet you hope that the game will garner enough support to take off in that country, but it’s still a high risk.

or

B) Stick with the near guaranteed revenue and support from the population that has a higher initial response to the game, cheaper hosting, and provides a wider net of access to players (even if it’s sub standard ping for some areas). While doing this, you plan on monitoring the other countries and seeing if enough support/player base has built to take the financial risk and even offer to help them transfer characters should this happen if they are willing to show some support for the game.

Now this is purely conjecture and based off of some estimates from some Google-fu on my part about server hosting costs. I’ve used population and price #'s that are close but not anywhere near exact. This is in no way reflective of anything about IMC and pure conjecture.

I really, really, really hope you guys can get a EU server, and I hope it’s soon. However, “boycotting” or refunds are probably not the way to do it.

7 Likes

If you don’t believe them or that they won’t open a EU server in the future as they hinted in their announcement . Then I don’t see a point of you playing the game or ruining the chance other EU players who wants a server.Your complaining and asking the EU community to riot with you and saying that IMC is trying to trick us about a future possibility of a EU server.

Explain how would that encarouge IMC to open a server?

1 Like

I see no objections my dear

This person gets it. This is what I’m trying to get across TS.

1 Like

PS : insulting me or disrespecting my point of view wont move this
conversation any further, its less helpful and reasonable than what i
say and you keep undermining.

Well in fact in my post it wasn’t properly about you. But here (in france) we’ve a meaning about ourselves :
" Complaining is in French people DNA " (and i was thinking that you was french).

That’s why i was pointing out. But if you want a real answer to your post hmmm… Wait and see; IMC won’t change their plans 4 days before the servers launching. It’s over.

As an EU player myself, I am satisfied with their reply. If they do not feel it is worth it then that is fine.

They WILL be providing us with a free transfer in the event that a server is opened for us, as such we should be showing them that we exist by playing their game. Otherwise if all we do is refund and don’t play. Well then obviously they have no reason to open a server for us.

Also if you want a refund, contact steam they have a refund policy that you will have to go through, and yes it will be accepted.

Now, the ping for EU is completely fine, I avarage 110-120ms. Which is more than decent when it comes to playing this game smoothly.

5 Likes

The point is moaning and whining most likely won’t affect any of their announced plans regarding servers.
This discussion has been going on for several days now and that was the best compromise they could offer from a business point of view.

You have to consider effectiveness and cost efficiency, the truth is most of the shown playerbase can play with an acceptable ping on NA servers which is why it’s the most efficient for them to be hosting on at the start.
Later when they collected enough data (income through cash shop & locations) they might consider if it’s worth investing into accomodating players outside their base region with a localized server.

If you don’t have the patience to see what the future holds nor the willingness to support the company while enduring subpar conditions for playing in your region then you are better of leaving.

2 Likes

Hold on Sherlock, thats what i said, im reconsidering this ; O. If my post is enough for EU players to give up on ToS, maybe its not promising any more. I think it would be the best indicator of this games downfall. Stop panic, if something happens my part will be the least significant.

Lol listen to yourself,you really are salty and angry.

FRANCE : 103 ms (North of france)
I think it’s ok for grind as soon as i don’t go into pvp.

http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?range=30&show=452430
http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?range=30&show=451320
http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?range=30&show=451280

Those number , is that true? . EA sold too little , they can’t have enough money for launch a single server , not two.

Another rant… WHO WOULD’VE THOUGHT?!

Yeah debating with him is a waste of time, he just wants to pout in the corner. Might as well just flag him and ignore him.

Dont say that because it means there might be no EU servers. How are EU players supposed to give positive feedback and bring IMC sufficient data to open servers in EU, when there will be merely a few players from Europe that are either lucky enough to have “decent” ping or no DCs or desperate enough to play like cripples because of those issues.

Now start insulting me because you ran out of constructive ideas. Well and im the angry and salty one.

It’s not unusual to have a large portion of players playing an international game even when they are located outside the suitable server region.
Especially for a new upcoming game that has no contracts with localized publishers.

Who knows? Maybe if iToS is successful enough there might even be a regional release published by Nexon EU or others.

1 Like

Threaten me more, seriously. How mature are you guys that you cannot handle single discussion. Go ahead and flag me, since your suggestions ran out and you cannot simply leave

As I just learned about this game via the Massively OP podcast, I wasn’t aware of regional server issues till this morning. Skimming through this thread, I first thought that EU was getting a server and North America wasn’t. And I just want to say, my reaction to this was apathetic even though I live in the United States. In fact, I was quite prepared to endure a higher ping just to play the game.

I’m very rarely proud to be an American and think our nation causes a lot of undue stress to foreign countries. I’d much prefer to live in Ireland or Canada. But I really don’t think lumping all American citizens into a group of self-interested babies is fair. We’re not the ones making the decision.