Tree of Savior Forum

Upcoming Legislative action to ban loot boxes

I’m surprised no ones brought this up… But loot boxes maybe becoming illegal soon in some places… Several states in the USA are also considering laws like what Germany is on about. Is IMC paying attention to this? These laws would apply to ToS.

“In the German debate this term [loot box] refers to a broad variety of different in-game or even just game-related purchase systems with more or less randomized items. Hence one cannot say that ‘loot boxes’ violate German laws, as each integration has to be evaluated as separate case.”

I think law makers are just looking for ways to implement it so it affects games in the way they want.

There is another article… about USA:

2 Likes

They can pretty much IP ban these countries, or even easier, shutdown iToS and keep doing k/jToS as usual.

If the game was made by a western company, then things would be different.

2 Likes

Or IMC will just find a way around these laws and still have some kind of RNG box in the shop, like most game companies will do.

The problem is, even if the law let it pass, some customers might not, complains enter, and so the law is reviewed and become more rigid.

As I always said, Gachapon work well on Asia, P2W model work well on Asia, why?

Because they have less time to play than us, the stuff there is more cheap than for us due to monetary differences.

Then again, IMC is not smart, they are happy with the pocket money they get from the whales who expend heavy on Gacha.

IMC is smart. They dont do what you/me/many want but they are not dumb or reta***d.
They’ll find a way and others will too.

These laws will not stop RNG boxes, but probably change the ‘type’ of boxes or the ‘way boxes work’, possibly in a positive (or less bad) way for the users.

It all depends on what they want to do.

Unfortunately, the previous time someone posted links like these it was only about actually paid games, not free to play - so the old ones wouldn’t affect ToS.

If the law just won’t cover f2p games, there isn’t much to legitimately do >_<

Also, it would be actually fun to see how creative would companies be to get as high income as loot boxes/gacha with alternatives :thinking:

2 Likes

It makes me wonder if they’d actually move to direct item selling, but everything is priced higher.

1 Like

i remember loading the same amount of money to direct buy costumes as to getting 258 medals from 30medal items (8.6 items)

300 tp is more expensive now due to exchange rates

It definitely is, moving to Canada from America has given me some perspective on that. And other people have to deal with an even bigger difference.

I also used to rely on the medal shop, but it really is quite the wait for items to get put in there. I also miss silver chests. Not sure why they removed them.

2 Likes

because of this Bots winning lots of silver from lottery chest

2 Likes

Ah I wasn’t aware of that…it’s a real shame.

im ok for the wait ‘w’ i actually just bought the pre-christmas costume this week. even though it’s been made available for more than a month

or was it 2?

i forgot ‘w’;;

i’m a pretty slow buyer, so i dont mind the wait

besides. everyone’s wearing them on day 1 makes it feel a bit like attack of the clones XD

2 Likes

In all honesty, I find it stupid same way tho, people aren’t idiot, well they are, but they know what they are getting into.

Also, it’s the responsibility of the parents to monitor what their kids are doing (in underage cases).

About the costumes, I’m not in favor of medal shop, that yes, I find like a huge scam, we already had to buy TP, why after gamble we have to recicle stuff we get for something that cost more than it would in TP?

Ya, it’s pretty bad, especially for neets/non-whale/etc (audience that I think that mostly spend hours on games).

Not worth gambling if you can’t really afford it. If you can afford it can be fun to some extent… but if gambling was actually a boring thing, it would never turn into problems and addictions.

About kids and loot boxes… also parents’ responsibility to keep track of where their own money is going. lmao

But it’s actually hard to deal with it.

I think most parents that actually let their kids get into loot boxes stuff without limiting money/etc wouldn’t actually think gacha-like stuff is bad. I think the same goes for most people spending on them.

I don’t doubt some companies will actually try to appeal to these users that likes gambling on loot boxes to actually try to prevent these laws or stuff like that by using social media and with heavy sales. lol

1 Like

You’re a fooking mind reader bro I had the same in mind after reading op post !
:100: agree on that. :+1:t4::+1:t4:

1 Like

Well, gambling is already a problem by itself tho, but it also won’t disappear.

I just think that, instead of providing it with Real Money method, it should be done with some kind of in-game money (tokens or items of some kind you collect during automated events or dungeons), but only for who is VIP (or in ToS case who have Token stats) and by a limit per week or month.

The Cash Shop should limit itself to the already items they provide, except gear related stuff (recipes, mats and enhancements of any kind), the normal ones you already get from NPC, the special ones could come from events like they are doing now.

Things related to in-game items should be:

• Costumes - Already in-game.
  • Costumes Dyes - Could be implemented.
  • Boosters (EXP and drop rate) - I’m completely against this, but many don’t find it bad.
  • Pets - Already in.
  • Pet Costumes and/or Skins - This would sell lots.
  • Non Combat Pets - This also would sell lots.
  • Skills skins - I find this interesting, I’m sure a bunch of girls (Not G.I.R.L.) would love to have a Hail of hearts lol.

Things related to services should be indeed with Real Money (in our case TP) like:

• Character Slots - Already in-game.
  • Renaming - Already in-game for both char and team names.
  • Server transfer - Not implemented but it is possible.
  • Storage expansion - It’s in-game, but imo it’s a damn scamming one, if it was like PoE I would gladly pay for it tho, they sell tabs not slots.

There are probably other stuff but I don’t remember now.

1 Like

I’ve been speaking my mind and criticizing the the crap out of cubes in this game for years. The devs have said that they appreciate good useful criticism. I know I am only 1 out of thousands of other people, but I do think that me and other players have spoke well enough about how the cubes were not a good idea. I even gave examples of how other games use cosmetic microtransactions better, and examples of how IMC could do it better. Nothing has changed what so ever. They just filled the exchange shop up with more costumes. A handful of which were WAAAAAY cheaper years ago.

I still think players would be happier, and the game would be better if everyone could simply buy whatever costume they wanted. Players WILL pay for it if it’s what they want. It is sustainable. But a lot of players still in the game didn’t mind it, and buy cubes anyway. I really want to play the game more with friends, but those cubes turned me away.

mfw i had enough medals to buy a costume with the same price of one in TP

and had 2 headgears left from it

i remember i have to buy the 300 tp to buy one costume back then and had a few tp left for misc spending

300tp +10tp bundle = 10+1 cubes = 330medals at max -258medal costume = 72medals = 2headgears+12medals

needless to say by opening cubes, you get a chance to get items that has high value that you can sell that to buy cheap headgears that you can convert for 30 medals each

:distinguished:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.