Tree of Savior Forum

Two cents on the game

Long post, but these are just my thoughts on the game now that the beta’s ending. As a brief background, I mainly play 3D F2P MMOs like TERA, ArcheAge, Vindictus, PSO2, Eden Eternal, etc but have also played the likes of Diablo 2, Trickster Online, Maplestory, Dragonica, etc.

Overall, Tree of Savior’s been an enjoyable experience for me, even as a casual player. Once I got used to the controls, they were pretty tight and responsive, at least compared to how stiff it can get in some games. I was lucky enough to come across a blue mob early, so I didn’t hit the grind wall as quickly as others. But even upon hitting the grind, it still ended up being more fun than other games I’ve played recently.

The major reason for me was that, imo, IMC’s done a great job on hit effects, sound design, and damage ratio. It’s very satisfying hitting monsters because they generally go down quickly with an impactful explosion at the end. But like others, I eventually got stopped by higher-level monsters that did too much damage for the time it took to kill them.

But if it hadn’t been for this grind wall, I don’t think I would have had as much fun. My first reaction like others was to party up to get over the wall. It was easy to interact with other players because of this, although the broken friend system kind of made anything long-term difficult. I spent a good amount of time just socializing, but decided to solo up to actually play the game more.

Figuring out ways to get over the grind wall ended up making me explore and utilize more features in the game. Using TERA as an example, there’s no point in enhancing your equipment or even bothering with gear drops at all because the quest equips are guaranteed to carry you to the next set. There’s also no point in kiting or evaluating mob strength because you can just cleave through everything. In the end, all the difficulty is at the endgame, where the difficulty and gear expectations ramp up because of the level cap.

In ToS, I explored the map for hidden quests to get all the EXP. I hunted for gear drops to upgrade from the quest gear (as I wasn’t strong enough to fight in the next quest area for a while). I then anvil’d up and socketed to squeeze a bit more out of the gear. Studied attributes to improve my damage output. Incorporated jumping and maneuvering more to dodge mob attacks. Started weapon swapping to take advantage of extra damage by type.

These kinds of features aren’t unique to ToS. But in most games that I’ve played, they’re only relevant in the endgame, because that’s when things like maximizing damage output and varying your play style matters. But imo, these parts are really fun because it makes you feel like you’re making actual progression rather than just following the quest chain. I was surprised to find how easily I was able to slip into grinding on ToS just because of these little things.

Throw in the shiny mobs and EXP cards and, even playing casually, I was able to progress from area to area without spending too much extra time. The minibosses were a nice break in-between from grinding and also let me test out other ways of mitigating damage and maximizing output. The class system wasn’t too complex, but it kept things smooth and easy to pick up by minimizing hotkeyed skills and enhancing them instead. Achievements with actual rewards instead of just titles made me go out and grind even more!

So, in the end, my hats to you IMC for such a fun game. It’s been great in the beta, even with all the bugs. Whether deliberately or by accident, I’m glad that you forced me to try out as much of the game as possible instead of just WASD+click. You know a game’s just being tsundere when you start lagging so much that the boss attacks are invisible and off-timed, but you still have ways to kill him.

9 Likes

DUDE I love you lol. Finally someone that can see how good this game is and not rant about the exp rates. Also I agree with your points about how the game forces you to get gear/up it to get easier progress/pacing. I remember going back to hunt that stupid morning star QQ.

2 Likes

Funny thing, I was about to toss the Morningstar, but ended up keeping it because the sale value wasn’t very good at the shop or the marketplace. Using it in weapon swap ended up making it much much easier for the grind, since the next area I went to ended up having lots of mobs weak to magic attack.

I do agree grinding is fun the the place and lvl of grinding is really bad. Like your force to grind area higher lvl than you ok but the mobs easily kill your if they are ranged because they have lock on skills making grinding a chore. Follow by the fact that your grinding with no skills to use and forced to use tons of potion and mostly spam auto attack is not very fun at all. I enjoy a good grind but it needs to be a good grind which means there is good amount of mobs, the mobs are satifying to kill, not a million people ksing you, and you have the ability to kill and protect yourself. Now ToS now does the first two really good but the last two its failing because at the lower lvl there only 1 map for each area so you got everyone one 1 map ksing each other making grinding a pain follow by lack of skill and force to grind on higher lvl area making ability to kill and not die also a pain.

I don’t necessarily agree because in my experience, this ends up happening anyways in endgame for most current F2P MMOs in NA. The problem there is that since its at the endgame, there’s no incentive for the grind and there’s no sense of progression because you’re already at the end. It’s even worse than the ToS grind because endgame also means you need to lengthen the time between levels. For example, in ArcheAge, it takes almost a week to grind 5 levels to the level cap with a double EXP rate happening. And that’s with decent gear in place and constant all day grinding.

I think the way ToS spreads it out is much better than just stuffing the grind all at the end, and it serves a better purpose too as players are forced to seek alternatives from the general mindset of tank-and-spank on mobs.

As a side note though, I can imagine the pain wizard classes feel…the SP regen is pretty abysmal (but mitigates skill spamming and makes them feel more “valuable”, so I have mixed feelings).

I have zero dmg w/o skills, and as a pyro at this point i have 2 skill that does dmg once i use them up i can’t do anything for 20s beside weak auto and one rotation takes away half my sp. Also this game have new ranks as you lvl up so even near the end you never feel no sense of progression, you need to be like 170+ for rank 6, grind can easily start past 100 once people are like rank 4 have skills to play around with and then turn in to a grind. Remember current cap is 200 but there content basically up until 500 with class ranks going up as you lvl as well.

Loved your post. I am very happy to see that ToS isn’t all about reaching the level cap and run some set of endgame dungeons over and over. I think that keeping the leveling phase relevant on its own is very important, as it makes the whole game count and not just the endgame.

1 Like