Tree of Savior Forum

TURN OFF SOUND to increase game performance, it will help a lot :)

Hello all, i just want to share something that I use to increase the game performance.

This tips is for the people that play TOS using lowspec computer or high ping that ranged from 0.1 to 0.3.

I play TOS with my lowspec PC, here is my pc spec:
Asus Mother board from 2008
Dual core 1.7 ghz
VGA GT 220
Ram 4 Gb DDR 2

I already use many tweak to increase fps such as changes user.xml and VGA control panel by following the step at this thread: FPS Optimizations and it helps a lot.

But, I still not satisfied with it, because although my fps increase, the game still freeze a lot, and I cannot walk smoothly with my char because every 3 steps it will lag.

What I means 3 steps lag is like this: STEP - STEP - STEP - freeze 0.2 second - Lag - STEP - STEP - STEP - Lag - Lag - STEP - <<< like that

At first I think it because of my bad computer and high ping (my in game ping is 0.15), but I stumble upon the article in google that said: “Turn off sound increase fps”. Just search that at google and you will find many article about that.

So after i know that, I immediately turn off the sound in game by setting all sound value to zero, and after i do that my game performance is increase immediately!

No more freeze, and no more lag when i walk with my char. Although it not increase my fps, but the game performance is far more better after i turn off my sound.

I still get lag when many people use skill at dungeon or in town, but now the game is not freeze or crash again when there are many people using skill at same time like in the dungeon, and no more walk lag again, so i can walk and run smoothly.

I think the logic behind this is when we set the value of sound to zero, our client side does not need to send request to receive sound command from tos server, and also our CPU will not need to process the sound in game.

Because almost all action in this game produce sound including walk sound (tap,tap,tap), and also we keep hearing other people skill sound too, so i think that’s a lot of process between our computer and the server.

By turning all sound off (set the value to zero), our client and server communication will be faster because there will be less process, and our CPU can focus to do other in game task. Just imagine which is faster : processing 100kb data or 115kb data? Surely, the less data that we need to process will result in more faster speed.

So that’s it, if you have low spec pc or high ping, just try to turn off your sound to increase game performance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Uuuuuuuuuh, I gonna test this tomorrow!

Thanks for the tip, man! :heart_eyes:

deactivate the best thing this game has

5 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Wow these salty replies…

/idonteven20char

1 Like

No need to disable everything. Just disable effects keep bgm on.

1 Like

I always keep all sound on the setting on and turn off sound on my loudspeaker, what i’m doing with my life…

Wait, people play video games with the game sound turned on?! I thought everyone was like me and just played their own music.

3 Likes

I think you are mistaking game sound with game music.
After listening to probably all SoundTeMP songs they have in the game (That’ll often repeat a lot during grinding) I turn off the game music and put on something of my own choice.

I do think however that he’s talking about all game sounds, not just the music. :slight_smile:

I have no problem with this since he’s talking about low-end computers. The guy is trying to help out and bringing a possible palliative solution. You guys don’t need to get all sentimental about it.

worth the try, although, turning off sound to make a game smoother is quite dumb to say at least…

it’s just mostly poor coding from developer to allow such thing to happen to the point we have to turn off the freakin sound…

Turning off sound does sound odd…I personally enjoy all of the music and FX.

Simple, because audio engine takes up cpu task. Thus, freezes happens because of hicups from your cpu. However, windows has a option called ‘‘systemResponssiveness’’ which determine an percentage to reserve for background task from your cpu. Setting it to ‘‘0’’ can help cpu 100% focused on a particular task. Fyi, TOS takes up alot of cpu usage than gpu usage.

You guys are crazy!
Everyone knows that you cant grind without some sweet old mega man soundtracks running in the background :wink:

just load the songs on something else.

Because almost all action in this game produce sound including walk sound (tap,tap,tap), and also we keep hearing other people skill sound too, so i think that’s a lot of packet that must be send via server, and our cpu will also must process that sound at the same time.

By turning all sound off (set the value to zero), our client and server communication will be faster, and our CPU can focus to do other in game task. Just imagine which is faster : download 100kb data or 115kb data? Surely, the less data that we need to download will result in more faster speed.

Nope it’s not sent to or downloaded from the server. It’s reading/processing/decrypting/unpacking/uncompressing the sound files that are located in data files in your own computer. Opt-ing to use SSD rather than mechanical hard drives should actually help the loading of the sound files be faster. The other way is to, as you’ve said, disable the loading of the sound files all together.

I’m guessing the sound files are too high-def and thus, the lag.

Having a faster CPU should help but that being said, I’m hypothesizing that the bottleneck is over at the hard disk i/o part.

And that being said, please note that having more CPU cores does not improve performance that much as ToS only runs on ONE CPU core.

2 Likes

how to apply that systemresponsivenes at tos client.exe ? maybe it could help to increase performance too, so the windows can only focus at tos.

It is not applied to any particular application. It is like scheduler. Before i continue, be minded than when you have no reserved resource available, and your cpu is not strong enough, cpu jitters can happen, for example your audio engine would jitter.

System Responsiveness Gaming Tweak
Exists in all versions of Windows from Vista to 8.1/10/2012 Server.

Multimedia applications use the “Multimedia Class Scheduler” service (MMCSS) to ensure prioritized access to CPU resources, without denying CPU resources to lower-priority background applications. This reserves 20% of CPU by default for background processes, your multimedia streaming and some games can only utilize up to 80% of the CPU. This setting, in combination with the “NetworkThrottlingIndex” can help some games and video streaming. We recommend reducing the reserved CPU for background processes from the default of 20%.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
“SystemResponsiveness”=dword:00000000 (default: 20, recommended: decimal 10 for general applications, 0 for pure gaming/streaming)

1 Like

High-def? LOL do you even check your client audio processing rate xD its only 22100hz, which is even low-def than mp3’s

This is 100% placebo. Sound is still being sent and processed through the cpu, all the volume controls are doing is reducing the volume, not removing any loading or processing of sound files.