Tree of Savior Forum

Tree of twisted mechanics

I just wanted to create a topic to discuss on the logic-twisting mechanics of Tree of Saviour.
I bet everyone has got several things they came across during playing the game that made him wonder why it is this way in this game…

where to start…

Ok, first about the map design.
Maps in general are feeling way to restricted for my taste. There are so many spots on the maps where you feel :“Oh,I can jump down/up here to take a short cut!” only to realize that you have to take a detour because you can’t jump simple 50 cm over a certain stone but can jump down several dozen/hundred meters from those cable car-like machineries…

Then there’s bad skill design. Sadhu is a good example for this. Out of Body especially. Why is it that your body starts levitating after casting the skill and your soul/Astral Body has to run around with legs? Normally I’d expect the opposite, the soul levitates and the body stays rooted to earth…
Also,if the soul is limited by the body but the body floats,why can’t the soul drag around the body?

Then there’s total logic defiance regarding weaponry. Why can’t you attack with melee range weapons while running but you can with bows/crossbows? Did you ever try to fire and reload a bow/crossbow while running?(I’ve tried because I have both at home and it’s so hard that it’s nearly impossible, forget alone aiming and firing…). That’s logic-defying enough alone. All melee classes have to retake their every education if they can’t use a mace/staff/sword/dagger while running around [even small children can do that].

But that’s not all.There are one-handed bows [yeah ftw 1handed bows… How the heck do you even load/fire them without using magic? With your mouth&teeth?] and there’s Hackapella that uses a sword as a subweapon. Hackapella can’t reload his Crossbow/Bow at all if he’s got a sword in his other hand. That’s even more unrealistic than Date Masamune wielding six Katanas in Sengoku Basara; it’s sheer impossible unless he grows another arm to do so. More like Hacker/Hackamutant than Hackapella…

Then there’s the attack logic. I know that everyone who played RO doesn’t really notice this much, but have you ever thought about the evasion mechanics? There are basically 3 ways to mitigate damage:

• dodging an attack with dodge rate
  • evading it by running out of its AoE/jumping
  • negating it with a skill (Safety Zone e.g.)

However, there is something twisted about these mechanics,too.
You can evade physical melee attacks by relying on your RNG-dodgerate without moving even the slightest. However, even if you move, magic standard attacks and arrows will change their course and follow you around until they run out of their hitrange, then simply dissimilate into thin air and hit you. They are like thermo-guided rockets if you ask me,especially those arrows that can’t be outrun at all. So, why is it that you can negate damage while doing nothing standing still but can’t evade ranged damage by moving around? I’d normally expect it the other way around, that you can’t dodge melee without moving [an evading animation would be cool like the Taekwons “Tumbling” skill in RO] but can dodge ranged by moving…

I’ll come up with more later as I’m tired atm, time for you to shine :smiley:

That always happens on most games not just TOS, where logic doesnt apply most of the time.

1 Like

hope to read more…

yeah, but here it isn’t about logic-defying, it’s about twisting your logic. Basically things are the other way around than they should be.
More like a “madmans theorem” than a game. It would be interesting to see the game having its own logic/natural laws/etc., but that’s not the case. Instead, we get to see something that’s exactly the other way around for both sides.