Tree of Savior Forum

Translation quality checking and proofreading

Hi! I’m not quite sure where to put this suggestion, so I posted here. Although I am not in the beta, I’m watching a friend of mine go through the game and I’ve noticed how choppy and and unappealing the in-game translations are. When reporting translation bugs, are proofreading suggestions okay as well? I don’t see it in the description for translation bugs so I thought I should bring it up.
I feel it takes away from the game experience if some things aren’t clear enough to the player. The current text translation detract you from the world of the game. It’s really straight-forward text and gives none of the NPCs any personality, even for a generic NPC #1.
i.e. The NPCs seem to not take the situation as severely enough when the quest seems to tell you that it’s dangerous or something because the translation doesn’t have enough flavor.
Thanks for reading my suggestion!

I understand people from github did the translation so it’s not going to be 100% accurate so I’m wondering, is the translation going to get some changes in fluidity?

Yeah I dunno about changing the meaning or adding in lines, but the text does need a once over by people who are fluent and have English as their first language. I noticed a lot of natural flow errors and things being oddly worded, yet grammatically correct, when I was watching live streams (even though most people seemed to click away the text boxes at hyper speed). There was also some frequent missing “the” and “a/an” as well. But yeah it’d be wise to recruit a few folks just for that.

1 Like

I think part of the problem is lazy people using Google translate.

Another problem is, it’s sometimes difficult to translate on Github when you don’t know the context of the thing you’re translating. I’m fairly sure IMC mentioned that we would be able to translate things from within game… we’re yet to see such a feature implemented, it would help greatly with proof-reading if we did have that feature because we would be able to understand the context from the overall atmosphere that the NPC is in (and can compare to other NPC’s in the area).

1 Like

Here’s to hoping they implement translating in-game quickly, because as much as I like this game, those translations should never hit full release day and proofreading the text in game could take a long time. It would be nice if they had an official head-translator and/or proofreader(s) for the Github translations. Sure it’d cost money, but it’ll be good for the long run.
Leaving that aside though, I’m really looking forward to this game’s release. ^ ^