Tree of Savior Forum

Thinking of playing again, Is fencer still good?

Hey Guys! I’ve been thinking about getting back in game, I stopped at level 208 Fencer As Barb3>fencer build. Is using a fencer still viable? or is it not useful anymore?

I did receive a Rank reset voucher, will it reset my fencer back to swordie? Do you guys have any suggestion on whats the best PVE class now? Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Fencer is a great class, extremely good for bossing (if you build a fencer-shinobi); although not too popular because it is also quite expensive (not too good to farm either). If you really love the class, go ahead, I believe you won’t be disappointed :smiley:

(I recommend you to read a guide before resetting though, to know the new fencer meta)

1 Like

i see, I did try searching some guides but some of them are either outdated or So I have read in reddit that fencers are dead :frowning: so I’m partly torn On what to do…

By the way , I am S2>Barb3>fencer1 is this ok or should i just reset and choose another class route? i am not that rich either :frowning:

It should be strong as a boss-killer if you go Fencer3-Shinobi after that, though S3-Barb2 would probably be better for that. Fencer also needs a ton of investment what I’ve heard, you really need to maximize your crit rate to outperform others in dps.

I recommend checking out this thread if you haven’t: Guide to Fencer / Doppel / Bullet Marker [PVE]
@Lostac knows alot about Fencer and Shinobi builds.

I had an empty char slot left and decided to try fencer (didn’t have any swordsman in my lodge), but didn’t see any recent build either. People go the shinobi route, but I’d like to get matador instead, because it feels more themed for a rapier user. Old builds use s3-highlander2 or s3-peltasta1-corsair1 for the first 5 ranks, but differ a lot on what skills to get.

So yeah, since I’m not planning on getting shinobi, I’ll go peltasta+corsair.

As I read this post from @Lostac

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/guide-to-fencer-doppel-bullet-marker-pve/300257/7?u=jayz.stax

I feel like i should really reset, Since I left it was like CBTish era too. And it seems a lot of things have changed since then. May be I should… I’m looking towards a good farming and boss killer pve swordsman class. I’m not much into PVP, so i hope some of you more active players could enlighten me since I feel like everything has changed. I hope you guys can help me. Thank you so much in advance…

I recommend reading the discussion from below, most of the posts from early stages of the game are now irrelevant.

You can continue your fencer-shinobi with either:
SW3 - Barb - Corsair - Fencer 3 - Shinobi
SW3 - Barb 2 - Fencer 3 - Shinobi
SW3 - Pelt - Corsair/Barb - Fencer 3 Shinobi

If you don’t like shinobi I recommend playing something else. There’s VERY LITTLE use for matador but no one will stop you if you insist on going that.

It’s just that you’ll feel yourself being a deadweight hitting for sht against mob and do sub optimal damage against bosses.

You will lose a LOT of aoe potential (which fencer really lacks) and burst if you don’t take shinobi.

I’m talking from a DPS point of view, if you’re aiming for something like a tank, go with whatever that has pelt/corsair or matador.

You don’t want to lose your positioning as a fencer and want to stay in front of bosses so I mostly recommend SW3 builds to pair with it.

lastly, despite the changes expect yourself to blow off more money to make your fencer strong. It’s not a popular class because it’s really underpowered when you compare it to a doppel with the same investment.

1 Like

Thank you for dropping by to give out advice in game sir @Lostac! I really appreciate it,…
I kinda want to go Shinobi since i read it’s a really good.
But I don’t find much fencer+ Shinobi updated guides. And since I feel like i am starting all over again since so much has changed, I’ve been thinking of leaving the Fencer tree and start fresh with a more viable and up to date class tree as of now since A lot has changed since cbt.
Since I have a Rank Reset Voucher, I hope it’s ok to ask @Lostac and everyone , what viable pve class do you prefer now? Thank you!

I’ve done some research on what builds I can do. But I am not sure if there are some of them also outdated, or not viable anymore. Anyway here they are:

S3>B1>Cors3>Shinobi1>Matador1

S3>High2>Doppel3>Shinobi1

S3>Palt1>Cors1>Fence3>Shinobi

S2>Hop3>Cata1>Dragoon3

Lastly
s1>Pelt1>Hop1>Rod3>Shinobi1>Murm1>Hop2

What do you guys think?

Is this in general or just for swordsman?

don’t take cata on dragoon if you want pve btw.

Sword 3 > barb 2/hl2 > doppel 3 > shinobi
SW > Pelt > hop 3 > doppel > Dragoon 3
SW > Pelt 3 > hop 2 > Dragoon 3
Sw3 > hop 3 > dragoon 3

are common pve builds

1 Like

I want to make a swordsman base Main character.
I posted a couple of builds I searched, Are they ok? what do you think about them? I was hoping to go for pve late game character. :slight_smile:

Yeah, this in particular is okay, but you might want to try barb 2 instead of HL2.

HL2 was strong before bunshin cd nerf, and shinobi can copy cleave now which applies+50% slash damage debuff for all your bunshins

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you so much @Lostac!
I’ve also been thinking about your suggestions
SW3 - Pelt - Corsair/Barb - Fencer 3 Shinobi
and
SW3 - Barb - Corsair - Fencer 3 - Shinobi

but I’m doing my research now on S3>Barb2>Doppel3>Shinobi1

what are your thoughts on : S3>B1>Cors3>Shinobi1>Matador1 by the way? :slight_smile:

haven’t seen anyone use this yet on Challenge modes so I can’t really say what they can do

Also I haven’t touched matador ever since rework so you might want to ask someone with more experience on matador

Better just go Dragoon.
Its the best allaround cls from all.
Sw1>pelt1>hop3>dop1>dragoon3

You can farm/bossing and even do pvp with this build.
You can even tank with this build with a 1h spear-shield.
And if we get r10 in the next 9-12 months (XD) and this build will get shinobi too all doppel will reset to it lol.

for matador either go 2 circle or none, in circle 1 you don’t have many skill to use and damage is bad
if you like rapier as main weapon and shinobi (like i do), S1>P1>XX>Cor3>Fencer1>Shinobi
you have enough skill to burst thru anything in challenge mode(up to stage 5) during your clone duration, cor3 is strong af.

I have thought about going S3>Barb2>Doppel3>Shinobi1
But I will read more viable builds a little bit more. Because I’m looking for a good Farming PVE with AOE class.

Thank you guys for all your advice! :slight_smile:

I personally run this build. I must say, it is a very very powerful build (like the guy said above, Corsair3 is now VERY strong). Pain Barrier 15 right before clones is amazing and also Quick and Dead (old Pistol Shot) also gives strong AoE burst (despite the expenses with the pistol). Although, just like the guy said, I am thinking of resetting to Fencer 1 in the end because even though Matador gives nice crit chance and that taunt, there isn’t much more that it really provides, being rather weak as of Circle 1. If you don’t really care for chugging SP pots like water, SW3-Barb1(because cleave before Dust Devil/Double Slash)/Pelt1(another source of taunt)-Cors3-Shinobi-Fencer1 is your way to go.

As someone who has Matador2, I second this. HAHAHAohhh sad :sad: that was my last rank reset too. I blame that cheap +16 Primus Rapier I found on market. What a temptation.

@jayz.stax while I personally don’t have one, as I’ve seen from doing dungeons, CMs, ET and world boss, I found Doppel3 Shinobi to be the most flexible/all-around and possibly the best PVE swordsman build right now. I have a guildie who uses one for WBing and every now and then would get rank1.

1 Like