Tree of Savior Forum

They called it 'Team Battle League'

But you can’t make Teams. IMC, Team Battle League is fundamentally flawed since it is random queue, and it is time that you addressed it.

There is a reason why Clerics are so over-represented in the top ranks, since you are likely to win more if you are a cleric. If you are going to be introducing Legendary cards, Costumes, and other rewards to TBL then you need to consider allowing people to queue as a TEAM.

This will allow non-clerics to participate, since they will know they can get into matches and have the support they need to win, instead of facing down the barrel of 1-3 clerics with none on their team. Heck, if a team WANTS to be without a cleric and try to win it will enable that too. It will make this content worthwhile and fun to do.

When you normalize gear as you mention in the Popo Post, please re-consider team queuing. Make it a requirement if you need to, people will form groups and play. Individual random queue S U C K S, and TBL is dying in part because of it.

3 things need to happen, and 2 of them are happening.

• Normalize Attack and Defense - GREAT
  • Nerf Froster Lord Card - GREAT
  • Allow team queuing - DO IT
7 Likes

Have already had many people suggesting this but apparently they do not want to do … sadly

Normalize Attack and Defense - YES
Nerf Froster Lord Card - YES, thank you for already doing this in Ktest
Allow team queing -YES, checking the match making every game just felt like scratching a shitty scratch card u bought at the corner store, would be great to pre-make teams

3 Likes

Here I will even throw out some ideas of how to implement this.

• On the TBL window have a ‘Create TBL Group’ button. When you click it you assign a TBL name, which you can keep or disband at will.
  • Can invite to TBL group like a friend request or party request, max of 3 people in a TBL group. (maybe make it a max of 5 people so you can have some people sit out?)
  • Assign ranking and match making rating based on TBL Group. If TBL group disbands their rank and rating remain where it is until the weekly reset.
  • TBL group will be considered Queued for TBL when 3 members on the team are searching. Once match is found it acts similar to how TBL works now, i.e. you can’t see who you are facing until the match has started to avoid abuse.
  • At the end of the week, award points to the individuals in the Team based on their Team Rank.

Open-ended question to the community.
Should the TBL group be Character Bound or Team Bound? Meaning you could switch chars in the middle of a week or no?

1 Like

I’d be down for this as a separate queue at a separate time maybe once or twice during the weekends but not as a replacement to the current queue. Not even close to enough real pvp players for this to be balanced and will probably just be 1-2 teams dominating. Clerics will always be good but it wasn’t until Frosterlord that they just became almost the only thing worth playing. Team queue would be fun though just alot of things need to happen before its viability.

1 Like

Why do you think all the other real pvp players left? =P

As opposed to the 1-2 players dominating currently? Ill take that over the current garbage any day.

Good idea, but it won’t work in the current state of the game. There will be 1-2 teams constantly fighting eachother and people who don’t have a static team to play with wont be able to play. Fun for 6-9 people, but sadly with the current player base this will not work.

Mentioned this in my guilds post, because I think it would be a vast improvement to both guilds and TBL. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think also, the MMR system needs to be completely reworked. The current system rewards people who play every day, and that’s just not possible for more than a couple people to do.

Wins should be worth slightly more than losses, but the point value received from a win should be based on the point value of the people you are winning against, or losing against. This is how every other MMR-based system functions.

If I start at 1000, and I beat someone who has 1500, I should get 2-3 times more points than if I beat someone who has 950 MMR, for example.

Also, and most importantly, MMR should reset to 1000 if a player disconnects from a match. 90% of all the “oops I DC’d” or “oops I VGA’d” are actually “oh ■■■■ they have clerics and we don’t, see ya.” If you’re really afraid of people being upset, give them a 1-2 match buffer. But people need to be punished for bailing from matches. It’s fostering a terrible environment. This, the MMR imbalance favoring queuing every day, and the random teams are why people don’t even bother queuing–it’s why you see the same small handful of people doing so, which even further discourages others, because they feel like there’s an extreme barrier to entry.

edit: oh yeah the times still suck fix them to be 9 PM to midnight. thx

1 Like

So what is your solution? Do nothing? Give us some ideas.

Many people left the game because they wanted to team queue, this would bring people back.

Team queuing would be cool; make TBL times 9-12 once a day.

There done

1 Like

Honestly, as a hardcore tbl player that quit because clerics a while ago, i think just normalizing the Attack and Defense fixes it and this is why i came back to the game. The main problem was that with enough money clerics were virtually unbeatable and this along with the healing nerf fixes most of it. And to top it all archers will go back to being usefull again with the revamp so yeah, things are looking up for PVP!

Queuing as a team is nice and it will come eventually, the devs are struggling to find PVE content first because thats what keep players playing and they took a right turn on velcoffer, but they will need more than that so expect 2 or 3 more raids before we get a real PVP revamp and content. But it will eventually come!

1 Like

Some suggestions:

Team Battle League

Mechanics:

• Team Registration on sundays then competition will be monday to saturday
  • Teams created will be fixed for the week
  • Matches are limited to X number of times a day.
  • Allow reconnection but for the next round

Contraints:

• No same class can be on the same team.

e.g

allowed:
    swordsman + cleric + archer
    cleric + archer + wizard

disallowed:
    cleric + cleric + wizard
    wizard + wizard + swordsman

• Consecutive matches with the same two team will not be possible just like from the old gvg system

e.g

not possible:
    match 1: Team A vs Team B
    match 2: Team A vs Team B

*in order for Team A to fight Team B again, Team A needs to fight Team X first.

• Only companion related characters are allowed to use pets inside

Duelist Battle League (hehe)

Mechanics:

• one vs one
  • 5 rounds, best of three, player can yield at any round
  • standardized gear
  • class locked
  • unlimited matches
  • no reward, only week title?

Contraints:

• all consumables are not allowed
  • consecutive matches with the same two character will not be possible just like from the old gvg system
2 Likes

Only thing I don’t agree with is limiting matches. If you want to reduce the MMR gained after certain matches that is cool but limiting gameplay is never a good thing.

Yeah ■■■■ hunters and falconers amirite!

Indeed it may sound negative and anti-fun but limited matches omits the queue rate advantage of fast phased/dps matches over dragged/sustain matches thus RNG will have lesser impact on the competition. Else not, it would be no different from a lottery ticket, more matches you’re in results to more chance of gaining points.

Would also like to suggest adding 1 second cooldown on jump.

fixed. :stuck_out_tongue:

If the MMR properly rewards wins and properly docks points from defeats, then you would not have to worry about rate advantages or quick matches.

Reviewing the block chance formula is important too. I can only play PvP with my Lancer or with one of my Wizard characters if I want to have something that I’d call fun in TBL.

:tired:

If nothing can be done about how block chance is calculated, then make CON not give block rate anymore, so people will have to rely on their skills, attributes, gear, gems and maybe Molich cards.

For TBL in specific they just need to remove stat interactions with Block, Accuracy and Block Penetration. Once the meta evolves past all PVP = full CON, then we have a winning formula.

In GVG stats were more varied because you can get away with full offensive builds in a pool of people if your movement and skills are good.

1 Like

That’s not fun if you are not able to block anymore.
It’s better if they do away the block penetration so you can actually survive longer against physical builds like Lancer.
Every PVP mode in a game suffer because there are notorious cancer Classes (Appraiser, Corsair, Plague Doctor, Lancer, Murmillio) that distort/warp the chances to win tremendously.

Clerics are not the problem.

Rather, it’s the opposite: Because Clerics are there, PVP is more fair.
Imagine you don’t have heal or damage protection and the enemy just hooks you till you die.
Or Lancer just lynches you with his status resist, block penetration and silence on hit.
Murmillio becomes unkillable because block>all.
Psychokino keeps you cced for 100% of the game.
Appraiser removes all your defence&attack from transcendence.

TBL is more like troll battle league. 3 people vs 3 people is never going to be balanced as long as trolling- and OP classes can just destroy you with 1-2 skills. Just wait for Piper, he’ll make you Kossak Dance till you drop dead.

You can’t save PVP, this games balance is just not made for it.

It’d be better if they scrap TBL and rather make something new like that Crystal Mine Feud instead with more participants and a larger area covered.

Or a base defence mode where the players all have 1 HP and attack&defend with summoned monsters rather than on their own.

Hot takes central here. Murmillos? I can’t remember the last time I saw one in TBL. Murmillos get blocked all day unless they stat for DEX and then they are squishy.

You are right. Clerics are not the problem, being able to block the majority of physical attacks unless the swordie or archer are super specific builds IS the problem and it is easy to solve. No one is proposing to get rid of block completely, just remove its tie to CON. You can still get block from the ‘block’ stat. Similarly, removing accuracy, evasion, and block pen from stats will convince people to find gear with those specific stats instead of focusing all of their energy on stacking CON.

Point for point, CON gives you the best chance to win in TBL. More HP and block combined outperforms offensive stats in small scale PVP. In GVG it doesnt matter as much due to the volume so you can keep it there.

The problem isnt the class, its the gear. When someone is rocking a +26 primus rod with block and CON, and can 1 shot you from full screen with Dimension compression (sorry bhikku) it distorts the meta to absurdity. IMC is taking steps to fix this, by normalizing gear in TBL and by nerfing froster lord.

I would prefer to take the road of suggesting ways to fix it, rather than being defeatist about it. Other MMOs can do 3v3, so there are ways to fix it.

1 Like