Tree of Savior Forum

Theory about the VGA crashes

I can’t say for sure what is the contents of the logs, if it’s useless info, why even bother sending them in the first place right?

As for overheating, some laptops structure are like mine, the heat sinker is one thing for both CPU and dedicated GPU, so my GTX660 is always over 50ºC when I use the CPU for other things that doesn’t require GPU processing, due to that.

3 Likes

I meant that users on well made desktop are crashing too. My nvidia for example almost never goes higher than 40°C when playing TOS, and users crashes with almost same setup (or better) than mine ><

2 Likes

I know for a fact the overheat thing is not causing these crashes and vouching. At work but I posted before in an optimization thread my cpu use and ToS can barely use 50% of an FX8350 over 4 cores. Meanwhile this game called Toukiden currently maxes everything out and BSOD or crashes which is a known problem.

It has something to do back in January with optimization, blocking VM boxing, or something with how they changed chat.

3 Likes

well CPU and GPU are separate things and as we all know most korean MMOs use 100% of 1 core while the other 7 cores are at 1-10% usage which is pretty typical and is the case with ToS most likely. So for example while overall it may it’s using say 25% CPU it’s actually 100% of 1 core, and 0% for the other 3 cores.

The recent optimizations make it so it will try to use other cores more, which could potentially present some issues though.

You really don’t need legacy versions of Visual C++ on your computer, in fact that could be causing issues.

Any program that requires an older version would just re-install it if you run it from Steam neways.

1 Like

anyway if its really a gpu overheat issues, it shud come with screen freeze / bsod / restart those issues 1st anyway instead of a vga error joke.

tos literally wont hit 60degree on my gpu, gona take around 85degree for my specs to start whinning /crash / whatever.

well if u want another mmo comparisons, I’m playin bdo rite now which is way more resource intense compare to tos and I’m doing fine.

I have some old software that is not related to Steam also, so I leave it there for now, in fact, M$ should cut this crap of various versions and make one single thing or just integrate it on the OS, only keep it disabled until a software that is installed require it, then it could just turn the modules required on enable state.

Well, it’s working fine on my laptop so if anything, I remove when necessary.

Do the 2015 suites really not offer the same functionality of legacy versions? lol

all I know is that I have never gotten a vga error until very recently

1 Like

Not sure if completely, since some legacy symbols seem to be removed or forgotten to be included on the newer versions it seem.

I remember a software I tried once crashing left and right until I installed the 2005 version, I had the 2010 one (it was the latest one at the time).

I gave up on trying to understand M$ way of doing things, same for IMC LOL.

I guess most people lose their imagination capabilities as they grow old, good thing I still kept mine at my age LOL.

3 Likes

They do not even get a chance to install and error moving on with the way I install them. That is why I do that and use the discrete way of installing this stuff. Once you do that only Flash and Java need updating which one day will be on their way out like the older runtimes.

3 Likes

VM blocking has nothing to do with errors inside the lua wrapper. Prolly can be related to optimization or other things since January tho.

This is kinda true, plus some functions are really changed. As much I dislike Microsoft I understand that you can’t keep blindly supporting old versions for 10+ years all the way.

If things needs to be changed for better performance or usage, sometimes you will need to do those big changes. Keeping endless backward compatibility can be really complicated, especially when one given application may use some specific set of functions or choses lower level functions (more likely to change/break) instead of using higher level ones.

If it’s related to optimization can’t they just uncheck the “Optimization (Beta)” or force it to run on 1 core in task manager and completely avoid the VGA error?

I mean, that’s what I would do if I got the VGA error.

Purely anecdotal, but I deleted every legacy version of VS C++ distro and reinstalled 2015 for 32 and 64 bit, and I did not VGA error for the whole day.

I will post my findings if I continue to VGA error afterwards. I do ET alot so that seems to be the biggest culprit.

2 Likes

They did ask users to disable “Optimization (Beta)” (tickets) to test if it solved the issue until they bring out a fix for the error. It doesn’t completely solve the issue but might reduce the frequency you get the errors, maybe. At least reduced them for a friend but won’t completely solve it.

As well you don’t simply kill all optimization progress because one thing that can be fixed. One could decide to temporary make Optimization disabled as default but the harm would be worse than trying to fix it, in my opinion. (Is it the majority or minority of players who have crash issues? I don’t think it is the vast majority to justify breaking something to fix another.)

(As well VGA error isn’t a “VGA error”.)

@fatedhour as well the game works solid for me here. Even on Wine/Linux. I can’t even test to try to provide any data I could get :<

I actually have multiple partitions set up on my box, like windows 7, windows vista, and windows XP. If I had this particular VGA error I would be able to try it on 3 different OS [holding the hardware configration constant] to see if the OS itself had anything to do with it.

Well it’s rock solid for me though.

i like this one, short and sweets, thanks lunar for these information.

no more wall of text in the future~~

1 Like

I can get consistent VGA errors when I am ingame with

CTRL + ALT + DELETE to start task manager. Is it due to desync?

My ctrl+alt+delete always used to work before this patch. Before patch, ctrl+alt+delete ==>and back to game screen would give me 1-2 seconds frozen screen delay but the client would not crash. After this delay ToS works again.

Maybe related to vga crash.

@STAFF_Yuri :
In this topic someone has a VGA error there is a log entry shown that seemingly shows a Lua error.

TOS “recently” got multithreading when IMC made this optimization update, correct? Do these multiple threads access the same Lua state? For example, if you have a rendering thread that needs info for the UI and a gameplay thread that needs info about skill mechanics, do they get their data from the same Lua state?
I ask because Lua states are not thread-safe/not multithreading-safe. If you have multiple threads accessing the same Lua state, even if it’s just reading data from the lua state, it can seriously mess up the Lua stack and cause crashes or wrong data.
It might not always crash/produce wrong data, depending on how often the different threads access lua, and sometimes you can be lucky and not see errors for a long time, but the possibility is always there.

If the problem came after you implemented multithreading then it’s definitely a thing you should check out.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.