Tree of Savior Forum

The Factotum "Class"

For starters, what is a “factotum”?
It is a latin word. Literally, it would mean (to) do [fac] everything [totum]. People who did all sorts of jobs could be called in that way.
And what has this to do with this game? Well, nothing, since it doesn’t exist yet. But it could.

A Factotum would be different from normal classes - mainly because it wouldn’t be a class in itself.
Rather, it is a way for a character to use all and only the four base classes, triggered by some (hidden) quest.
A Factotum would be able to freely choose one of the four base classes to advance at every rank (but still retaining the “three circles” limitation, of course). It would also retain the ability of purchasing attributes from the relative masters.
In addition to those, the Factotum master itself could sell additional, special attributes to add synergies within the different skills of the classes and give several bonuses (so that it can be balanced properly even in the later levels, despite being made only of the first tier of classes).

In a way, it would resemble a sort of “super novice” of RO, albeit in a way that makes use of the particular rank system of ToS.
It isn’t supposed to be some competitive character, but rather just a fun one, made for people that just want to do a bit of everything.

This is not a good idea.

1. your super novice reference - super novices have always been bad why copy a idea that was a flop?

2. that would give you access to very few skills which would make you next to usless. unless your proposing they get access to 1-3 for each base class in which case it would give you access to effectively 12 ranks worth of skills/attributes rather then the 10 everyone else gets and that would be broken.

Basically no matter how you approach this you will ether get broken or garbage.

I’ll reply to the second paragraph first.
2) It would have 10 ranks as every other char, with the “3 circles” limitation that every character has.
But you’re free to spend those ranks in any of the base classes. You could be 3 wizard/3 cleric/2 swordman/2 archer, or 3 swordman/3 archer/3 cleric/1 wizard, just to make a couple examples.
As i said above, the only difference is that you can freely choose your next rank between all the four base classes (the ones you haven’t maxed yet, at least). That’s done to avoid the possibility of a character ending up with a composition like 1/1/1/3 circles in a class, as that would end up with no spare class to level.

1)I did say that it would resemble a sort of super novice because that’s the most easy comparison i could think of.
Sure, super novices weren’t that good. But that’s why i also mentioned having additional attributes available via the Factotum Master - it gives developers a way to make it feasible and balanced, despite using only the base classes.

Thus i can’t agree when you say that it will either get broken or garbage. It can as well end up balanced, after all.

Its not entirely a bad idea, but weapon restrictions in ToS are different as in RO.
I like the idea of hybrid classes, but only if they are balanced.
The only viable builds I can imagine are combinations of Cleric + Other class. ClericWiz, ClericSwordie, ClericArcher. Other combinations just wont work at all.