Tree of Savior Forum

Thaumaturge for group PVP and PVE

First, sorry for my english.
I want make a Thaumaturge good in PVE and group PVP.

I have two builds in my mind. I wish read yours opinios about them.

Wiz > Cryomancer > Linker > Thaumaturge 3 > Warlock
or
Wiz > Cryomancer > Linker > Thaumaturge 2 > Sorcerer > Warlock

I will go full inteligence and use Transpose for hp.

Do you have tips and opinions to share? Tx for your help.

useless for pvp, nobody like for pve also, don’t even have slot in partys, since u must have 1 each class to bonus exp (taunt,arch,wizard dps, cleric) , so 1 slot left that usualy belongs to a chrono/linker , that is a lot better than thau c3

1 Like

Thaumaturge is really underappreciated. I went with Thau C1 in my build for iCBT2 just for fun, and I liked it so much I decided to use it again for OBT. I only went C1, but C1 alone is a ton of help if used correctly. I can’t speak for the C2/3 skills but I’ll give you some tips for the C1 stuff (PVE-only, since I don’t PVP at all, sorry).

Swell Left Arm

A decent buff, though it uses hard numbers so it probably won’t scale very well in late game. It also takes up a buff slot so if you’re in a party I wouldn’t recommend using it unless you have a Krivis with Daino since there are better buffs that could be used. It does, however, have some additional debuffs it can apply when attributed and combined with Swell/Shrink Body, so it’s not a bad skill to carry. Just keep in mind that both Swell and Shrink can’t be used on bosses, so the debuffs are only good against regular mobs.

Striking an enemy with the Swell Body debuff on it will lower their attack. The weakened attack debuff can stack up to 10 times (not sure how much each stack it lowers it by, unfortunately) and lasts a total of 32 seconds with the attribute maxed.

Striking an enemy with the Shrink Body debuff on it will deal up to 140 additional damage with the attribute maxed. Again, since it’s flat numbers it probably won’t scale well in late game, but the extra damage could be very handy for early game if you’re into that.

Transpose

Swaps INT for CON, however it doesn’t heal back the HP you gain, so going full INT and using Transpose for defense is a bad plan. It takes a second to switch and in that time you’re either already getting one-shot by whatever attack is coming at you or you’re wasting time with low-INT doing no damage, which defeats the point of going full INT. The Equilibrium attribute (INT and CON are equalized instead of swapped) is also bad for this reason.

However, I wouldn’t say it’s a bad skill. Actually, I use it very often. Since Transpose swaps CON and INT, you’re not just increasing your defences and HP, you’re also boosting your natural HP regen. HP regen also affects how much you heal from potions to a small degree. Instead of using it for tanking, it’s best used when you’re at low HP and need a moment to heal—switch on Transpose and use a potion, and wait until it’s done recovering before switching Transpose back off. You can also use it before sitting down by a campfire to speed up the healing process even without a potion.

That said, all you need is 1 point into Transpose. 10 seconds of downtime isn’t a huge deal when you’re not going to be staying in it for very long.

As a side note, in a pinch it can also be used to boost your carry limit if you pick up too much stuff by mistake but don’t want to dump it until you get back to town or whatever.

Swell Body

This skill is amazing for crafting and questing. It doubles EXP, silver, and items dropped from any debuffed mob. An important thing to note is that “double” doesn’t mean the % chance of an item dropping is higher. All item/silver drops are predetermined. If you swell an enemy and kill it and it would have dropped an item, instead it will drop 2 of that same item along with double the amount of silver/EXP it was set to drop. If you swell a flashing mob it will stack with the lucky effect and double the already boosted item/silver/EXP rate as well, for the record. It is godly when it comes to farming annoying drops, and you can make a ton of silver by farming with it.

There are a few downsides to this, of course. Firstly, enemies debuffed with Swell Body have their HP doubled for the duration, and unlike with Transpose they do heal back the extra HP. If the debuff wears off, their current HP will not be scaled down, so for example if you do 50% damage to a mob, swell it, and wait for the debuff to wear off, they will have full HP after the swell ends. Second, it only lasts 10 seconds at Lv5. This means that you need to have either good burst damage to be able to take advantage of swell, or a good party to back you up (or to only target really weak/low level enemies). If you go for C2 or C3 you could put some more points into this for a longer duration. However, as a C1 Thau I don’t have too much trouble with it. You get two charges and reapplying the debuff before it ends won’t “heal” the mob, so if it’s a tanky monster you can save the second charge and reapply the debuff to break through the last bit of HP.

Besides the attribute that pairs with Swell Left Arm, the other attributes you get with Swell Body are:

• Deal up to 60% of your magic attack upon casting Swell Body. The description is worded strangely, but it’s not a debuff that increases the damage the mob receives or anything like that (as I once thought back when I first tried it). I’d actually recommend not using this attribute as it makes it trickier to lower an enemy’s HP before swelling.
  • Decrease enemy movement speed by up to 45%… but also increase their magic and physical attack by 60%. Bad idea. Would not recommend using this at all.

Shrink Body

I don’t actually use this skill much myself, so my info might not be the best here, haha… That said!

Shrink body shrinks the enemy’s size, obviously. Without any attributes, that seems to be all it does, surprisingly. Unless I’m mistaken enemies still deal the same amount of damage and have the same amount of HP/defence, so if anything it’s a detriment since the targets are smaller.

EDIT: I did actually remember something, enemy size affects damage for swordman/archer attacks so swelling/shrinking could also be used for support in that sense. If your teammates do bonus damage against smaller enemies, you could shrink the mobs so your team does more damage.

It is more useful with the attributes, however. As stated up above, it has a debuff when paired with Swell Left Arm that deals extra damage to shrunken enemies. The other Shrink Body attribute increases the enemy’s movement speed by up to 30% in exchange for lowered their physical/magical attack by up to 75%. Like Swell Body, it can’t be used against bosses, so the uses are a bit limited… but it’s not a bad skill, so putting a few points into it wouldn’t hurt if you have nothing else to spend them on. It could be used on tanky/powerful mobs to weaken them so you can take them out, so that might actually be really useful for later parts in the game where enemies get stronger and more dangerous.

I wish I could go more in depth for the C2/C3 skills for you, but I’d only be regurgitating ToSBase without any personal experience.

For reference, the build I run with is Wizard C1 -> Pyromancer C2 -> Thaumaturge C1 -> Sorcerer C2 -> Chronomancer C1 (eventually, might take this before Sorc C2). Since Chrono can also double drops by reincarnating mobs, my plan is to try and abuse both that + Swell Body to make tons of money.

Sorc’s summon helps a lot with killing enemies while you’re swelling if you don’t have a party to help, so if you want to put Sorc in your build I’d recommend it. You don’t get the control skills for Sorc until C2, but if you’re using the summon for close-range swelling assistance you’ll want it following next to you anyway, and you can kill mobs SUPER fast if you get a Templeshooter with a high star count. Linker will also help you a ton with killing swelled mobs—you can swell a cluster together, link them up, and only need to worry about hitting one of them to do full damage, so that would be super handy! With Linker you honestly might not even want or need Sorc, but that’s up to you. Since Sorc would come later anyway, you can always just try it out without the summon and decide if you need it or not when you hit the next rank.

If you have any other questions about Thau I can try my best to answer! Hopefully a C2 or C3 Thau can chime in, though. Thaus are hard to find ;u;

1 Like

Tx for your opinion, Lady. Help me a lot. :slight_smile:

Blue, your analysis is fantastic, tx so much for your hard work. I forget about the limit of buffs slots and the fact that his scales not so good in late game, these mistakes are terrible for my plans. =(

Anyway, I will try make a Thaumaturge for soloing PVE for fun. I will go with the build of sorcerer.

Tx for your help. If anybody want give your point of view, I will be glad.

I’m doing Wiz C3 - Thaumaturge C3 myself, planning for Warlock > Shadowmancer path as dark wizard i think, by utilizing the Quickcast’s attribute, enhance matk and dark damage % in warlock.

Thaumaturge C2’s Reversi is amazing, especially boss who use ground skill (magic circle), you can turn the ground skill and damage back the boss themselves which is very high damage. (I don’t recommend to flip peoples’ ground magic during Boss hunt =X it is unethical. But it is a nice trap in GvG if you flip enemies’ magic circle and your enemies still think it is their own)

Thaumaturge C3 is a bit underwhelmed, beside +90 damage on both hand, Swell Brain +INT (45+100) doesn’t seems great overall but only attract more girls to talk to you =X it looks cute

Full CON Cryo3>Thaumaturge3 seems a very strong tanker with high def (swell right arm + subzero), while ability to controls mobs with shrink body, snowball and frost pillar.

But I believe the Thaumaturge will be buffed eventually, I hope something like enlarge fireballs for x2dmg or able to grab fireballs/icewalls/bosstraps to throw, add more damage to Rune of Giant’s jump, swell your own pets/summons/skeletons/bats for x2 damages. The idea is really interesting there.

1 Like

Yeah, Thau isn’t a staple for the current endgame stuff like Earth Tower or world bosses, so they’re not very popular sadly : ( But I do think it’s a really enjoyable class, and the C2/C3 stuff is pretty interesting as well, it just suffers a lot as well due to the flat number boosts that don’t scale for future ranks and level caps. The only skills that don’t have scaling issues are Swell Body and C2’s Reversi, I think.

Swell Body is more than enough of a reason to take at least one circle in it tho, IMO. At the very least it makes for a potentially great silver-hoarding alt. Nightrain’s points about Reversi’s uses are solid as well, I imagine it’d be a great skill for PVP if you want to try for that.

Good luck with your Thau! \o/

1 Like

Tx for your help, Nightrain and Blue. :slight_smile:

Hey, Guys, can I tank good with a mage? I can keep the aggro? Do they will want me in a party?

I am thinking in this build:

Full Con Cryomancer 3 > Thaumaturge 2 > Psychokino 1

Maybe I can combo Ice Wall, Transpose and PP for a strong burst damage.
Can work fine? Any tips?

Tx for all your support.

While i doing my quest i found gold shining mob and after using swell body its give me 200k silver +8 recipe(demon prison). And second time i meet gold mob (lvl 160+) its gimme 600k silver + 8 recipe. Yea ease money)))