Tree of Savior Forum

Texture/sprite for White Ribbon Decoration Boater is inconsistent

Note: This inconsistency is not character specific to my knowledge and applies to all players, characters, and classes. Therefore, much of this information serves no purpose. It is extremely minor and more nitpicky than anything. It is possible this inconsistency can be carried across to other asymmetrical hats, but I have not confirmed this myself.

Date and Time: 20:10 EST (8:10 PM)
Server Name: Klaipedia
Team Name: Amaurus
Character Name: Falsia

Bug Description : If the player wearing the White Ribbon Decoration Boater assumes a set of certain orientations, they might notice that the position of the ribbon is inconsistent in terms of location. It’s not a serious issue in the slightest, but it wouldn’t be surprising if this bug carries over to other hats with an asymmetrical design as well.

In this explanation, I am assuming that North is the direction the camera is facing and if the player were to hold down their right arrow key, they would be moving East.

The consistent orientations are the following :
Character facing North, North-West, West, South-West, and South.

Inconsistent orientations are:
South-East, East, North-East

Steps to reproduce the issue :

1. Equip a White Ribbon Decoration Boater hat ( or perhaps any other hat that is asymetrical) and sit down (sitting down is not necessary but it makes it much easier to watch the hat)
  2. Tap the Down-Arrow or ‘S’ key multiple times until your character is facing south. (if you are standing you need to press the key a single time)
  3. Press the Right-Arrow or ‘D’ key so your character faces south-east. (If you are standing, press and hold your Right and Down arrow (S and D key) for a moment and release them at the same time)
  4. If you repeat steps 3 and 4 multiple times while watching the ribbon on the hat, you’ll notice the ribbon seemingly teleporting to the other side of the hat.

Screenshots / Video :
Icon of the hat

Character facing South

Take note of the Ribbon; it is on the right side relative to the player.

Character facing South-East

The ribbon has changed location and is now on the left side relative to the player.

Character facing East

Ribbon is visible on the side of the hat that is closest to the player.

To put the issue simply, certain sprites (or textures) for the hat are simply inverted across the Y axis. This does not translate well in a 3d environment. Fixing it requires re-drawing the inconsistent sprites/textures.

Game Control Mode : Mouse, method of movement is keyboard (WASD)

System

• CPU : Intel i-7 4770K clocked at 3.5 GHz
  • RAM : 16 GB DDR3
  • Graphics Card : NVIDIA GTX 770
  • Storage : Secondary 1-TB Hard-drive
  • Internet Connection : 8 Mega-bits Download, 1 Mega-bit Upload
  • Country, Region : US East
1 Like

I’m not sure I understand what you are describing. I think every single hat in the game mirrors like this? ie. flower pendant, ginko leaf, red maple switch to always show on whichever side of head faces camera

This was described in an early interview with IMC when they described their choice to maintain the static camera view (despite everything being a 3d model and that they’d previously allowed for dynamic camera rotations). They mentioned also their choice to always have the weapon face the camera as well, making all characters appear to be left-handed. I believe this falls in-line with their choice to retain visibility with a fixed camera =)

Q) Are the characters all left-handed? They were attacking with left hand then I watched a video clip.
A) When characters are using weapons on right hand, characters are hardly visible on the screen so to make them more visible, we changed the sides. I never thought you would notice this…

Please think of it as the image reflected from mirror.

Source: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/?p=115