Tree of Savior Forum

Targeting System

I recently made an SR and am starting to see the flaws of the targeting system of this game. I mainly played melee, or stay-far-away range characters, so the SR’s mobile combat style and its inability to cooperate with the targeting system is what I want to bring to your attention.
First, I love the target locking and that it is optional. So many games make you have to stay too close for comfort or in a certain position to target one specific thing, which is some times really crippling. However, as good as locking target option is in concept, some of the flaws I’ve experienced were:

1. Ranged characters have a hard time targeting(there are times where it will not target anything at all,not simply the one I want to hit) mobs when they stay close. I think all characters do, but the melee classes don’t really target anything before doing their damage(targeting is more like telling them what they’re hitting, not a requirement to hit things).
  2. It is really clunky/difficult to switch targets in locked target mode. I understand that is the point, but instead of feeling like a single target mode, it feels more like boss target mode. And the distance it requires for the targeting to disappear is way too far. A lot of the times, I couldn’t even see the monster, but the ‘out of range’ message would appear when trying to attack.
  3. The first problem in conjunction with the second is a disaster; since, a lot of the times you target the wrong things, you are punished by not being able to target those things close to you.

I think this is a problem for this game, because:

1. it is a relatively easily(?) solvable problem(not a problem where decisions have a lot of backlash,etc),
  2. this isn’t a singular instance or a specific situation, this problem is connected to all of the game’s content, and
  3. this is clearly affecting mostly the archer class’ gameplay, creating an unbalanced experience on top of the ‘dps problems’ they apparently have.

One solution that I can see in other games is having a button for changing targets.
I don’t know if this is the best solution but the gameplay is so clunky and frustrating, I hope something goes through to improving this.

1 Like

Targeting is really bad.
The worst is in parties with minions: for some reason they disrupt your targeting. It’s like it tries to target them rather than the mobs. It’s pretty weird and annoying.

yep as an SR, its really bad. especially if you have low attack speed even switching targets when u kill a mob has a delay. i like having lock on, but its annoying when u leave your your attack range while you’re pressing c. otherwise no lock and u have to literally be right next to the mob to aim

Worst targeting is still Bokor. It’s so hard to hit the right target with Hexing…

Probably the best way to have archer class auto attacks and skills is to make it control more like using twin stick controls for both mouse mode and controller. Move with WASD or left stick, while mouse cursor location / right stick controls where you shoot., and instead of the auto weird targeting system that is currently in have it so the attacks go the direction of the shot, not targeting anything.

This would also mean many single target skills would need to be reworked, but its better than trying wiggle your character around trying to get the correct target for single target skills. (Though I play TOS purely with a controller so I don’t know if this is a real issue with mouse mode)

On a side note: In controller mode I really wish ground targeted skills started at a (Suggested) location further away from your character by default instead of trying to position it starting from where your character is standing. Mainly for quicker skill executions than having wonky wobbly placements. So many times I’ve misplaced ground targeted AOE.
:tired:

i have gone rage with that too @@ but fix this is simple
just change the “change target” hotkey (tab button as defalut) to another key (as me using Z as sub atk and C as target change) so if u target nothing just press C and it will automatictly target the closet mob
goodluck