Tree of Savior Forum

[Suggestion] About the area map

First of all, this post is totally about my personal opinion, so you may think that I’m a bit self-centered. I’m really sorry if I offend some of the readers but please take your time to give it a read.

This has been on my mind for a while. I’ve explored all the maps from Klaipeda/Orsha to Fedmian and walked across them a lot of times. But I can only vaguely remember the scenery and the terrains. I wonder why first, but now I think I have found the reason.

Yep, as the title said, it’s the area map of this game.

So, why it’s affecting my memory? For easier understanding, let’s compare the Tree of Savior (ToS) area maps to its famous so called “predecessor”, Ragnarok Online (RO).

Tree of Savior - Klaipeda (Town)

Ragnarok Online - Izlude (Town)

Tree of Savior - Knidos Jungle (Field)

Ragnarok Online - Border of Papuchica Forest - cmd_fild05 (Field)

As you can see, ToS maps are just plain maps with symbols and in contrary to that, RO maps are very detailed. You can see the grass, cliffs, water, bridges, and other terrains pretty well here. They look like they’re taken from satellites.

So why the maps are affecting my memory, again? For example, if there’s a quest that request me to come back to a lower level XXX area to look for a specific location for an item. The first thing I need to do is open the world map and search for the XXX area map. But what awaits me is a plain area map with nothing on it. I’ve fully 100% explored the XXX area but there’s no memory of the terrains at all. Or more specifically, I can’t recall any details of that area. It’s because looking at the plain yellow-color-only map gave me no hint.

Furthermore, if the request is to look for an item near the shore of a river for example. If you look at the ToS map, you’ll see no river. In contrary to that, the RO map do this nicely.

It’s very boring looking at the maps of ToS. I’ve came across many places in ToS that have very nice scenery. But now I’m like staying at Fedmian and wonder where those places are. (I guess posing and taking pictures in some in-game places also one of my hobbies, lmao)

Conclusion, what I request is please draw more detailed maps. Or you can just take photos from above and edit them a little bit.

Thank you very much for reading my post!

Also, sorry if there’s any mistake in spelling/grammar. I’m not an English speaker.

3 Likes

This is such bullshit. ToS map is totally awesome and easy to remember as fork, Kappa322 <(") <(") <(")

I agree! All the maps seem lazily done. Details would help a lot, and one major problem is that we could have a better “fog” for the unexplored area of the map that we need to look for 100% exploration, this is one problem that everyone that i talk about already experienced.

comparing 2 diff games~ duh :sleepy:

yes ToS maps are just plain maps

Having each map be hand drawn would look incredible!

This definitely should not be anywhere near the top of the priorities list… but if ever one of the artists has some spare time, I think it would add a lot to the game.

I aggre

/202020202020

@ArtisanKing Can’t see what’s the problem comparing two games. After all it’s your old experience against your new experience. It’s called “selecting” on your side (user) or “improving” on the developer side. If something works better it should be taken into account.

For instance, this is one of the bad features that I noticed starting playing ToS. It was a really bad impact considering the other gaming experiences I had. Then I faced it, got used to it and now it’s something fine, or “acquired”; but still, should I say which one I prefer I’d say I prefer the detailed RO-like map. @Hinotama got the point with that reason: it’s not just a fancy thing, it’s about in-game memory and game interface experience, which is better not to understimate. Despite that, I must add as for the situation is now the priority goes to other things, indeed.
In a long term period I’d consider it as a change.