Tree of Savior Forum

Steamworkshop implementation for artists

@LaScoot

You make very interesting and real points, thanks for your time and contribution.

Having some experience contributing and successful publishing dota 2 workshop items within valve,

In terms of quality control, in the end the community are the ones that highlight the items most wanted in the game, no scrounging through a ■■■■ ton of admissions. You’ll see the most popular to implement into the shop at the very top, and that’s what Valve looks into and confirm or deny the creation. They look at what’s popular at the very top not every creation that comes in or at a consistent artist/team that keeps developing high end stuff that got accepted in the past.

This is IMC Games, they have a business department within the company, and the items that do get accepted, are accepted because it fits all of their criterias and not much finalization in the model/art is needed; that’s the job of the artist or team to get right off the bat or very close to.

You’re right comparing the two was kind of silly, but I believe a community content related system can work. Of course there are problems that need correcting. You can disable selling from the community marketplace and keep everything in game on the shop at IMC’s prices period.

There will always be that fear of ideas being taken or used by the company, you just pray they have the integrity not to, I took that chance with Valve and I haven’t regretted it so far.

Reading through, what I just wrote is basically you’re alternative which I was trying to explain from the very start.

That’s what the steamworkshop is pretty much.

I think having concept art/illustration even 3d ingame assets made are perfectly fine. You underestimate the flexibility and talent a lot of these artists can do. Have faith haha. Either way the developers have the final say if it’s in or out.

I don’t think I’ll be able to play this game if everyone suddenly starts to wear pony hats…

It’s a cool idea, but it can also hurt communities, as Team Fortress 2 shows.

Valve originally set out very strict thematic design guidelines for Team Fortress 2. [Link][1]

It’s very simple to moderate what content is chosen to include in the game.
[1]: http://www.teamfortress.com/workshop/

I do not doubt the skill and ability of people.
It is the moral integrity of humanity I find questionable.
Steam Greenlight has been in a horrendous state until the recent refund system.
(and still has a few kinks that most publishers may suffer severe losses from, though Valve is not most publishers)

I have no additional rebukes or details to add.
The problems I listed, the solutions/reasoning to your reply… they’re for IMC to decide and IMC knows better than we do if this would work or not.

p.s. Workshop has shared a few problems with Greenlight for a long time now.
I do have to agree that it would be easier if done this way, though again, that’s for IMC to decide if that much trouble is worth it.

I’m worried about this too, if rather the game have its own action house using in game money which you must earn like everyone else