Tree of Savior Forum

"Steam must be running to play this game. SteamAPInitfailed."

When I launch the game from steam the patcher appears, gets to 100%, then disappears. 2 seconds later I get the error message “Steam must be running to play this game. SteamAPInitfailed.”

Why do I get this error, when steam is clearly running? When I launch the game on steam, my computer automatically asks for my permission to run the game so it’s not a “run as admin” problem. I tried starting the patcher directly in the game file but when I do that nothing happens.

I know the servers are not out yet, but from what I’ve read we are supposed to be able to at least open the game, and since I plan to pay 50$ for the EA I want to make sure I can open it before paying.

1 Like

Try restart Steam, sometimes it lose the link with the Steam server and don’t do the verification, if it keeps, delete steamapi.dll on the game folder and verify the game integrity.

Ok. I tried both now and I still get the same error than before. Thanks for the info though.

Oooh I had to start steam is admin. I thought starting the game as admin was enough but apparently not. Problem solved!

Just to make sure, install the DirectX from this folder: Steam\steamapps\common\TreeOfSavior\release\patch\DirectX10

Make sure you installed VC Runtimes.

Please try the following steps.

1. Install/run TOS on a PC with specifications matching the game’s system requirements

2. Install Visual C++ (first, check what version of Windows your PC is running)

1. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (x86) / 32-bit [LINK]
  2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (x64) / 64-bit [LINK]
  3. Visual C++ for Visual Studio 2013 Redistributable [LINK]
  1. Update your graphics card drivers and DirectX

this didn’t work for me

just run steam as admin

Run steam as Admin worked for me. tks guys! hope to see you soon in game!

I tried all nothing happen other account that I signed in work but the new accounts didnt but its verified. Solutions?

i tried using admin too but it did not work but when i log out then log in again that works for me.

1 Like