Tree of Savior Forum

Some rulesets that I'd like to be seen

You know, i kinda love being punished hard and steadily.
I know that most people don’t like dying and such, but being able to do a good performance on a hard environment provides a real rewarding sensation.

However, I know this kind of suggestions are pretty impossible to accomplish, but hey, this subforum is here, so i might as well share my thoughts.

Ruleset examples:

• Trash mobs with increased defenses depending on their armor type (Cloth, Leather, Plate, Ghost).

• Trash mobs with increased movement/projectile/attack speed.

• Death forces the character to remain in city for the next 12~24hs.

I want to talk a little bit about death, feel free to avoid this if you want.
Dying in a RPG was, most of the time, weird. You lose your health, and magically resurrect to try again later.

I remember reading a post long time ago, of someone who had a different vision on health and death. When you are low on health, you are still able to run around and jump, you know, stuff that shouldn’t be easily done by an almost dead person.

This guy believed that health points (HP) was in fact the ability of the character to avoid a serious injury. After the Health goes low, the character is more likely to be fatally struck, and thus dying while still being able to perform at his/her best until the very end.
It made sense to me, the character wasn’t just taking damage, instead he/she was avoiding being hurt in a way that would affect the battle.

So, where am i going?
In my vision of this semi-permadeath feature, being locked in town means that you fell in battle, an adventurer (if in a dungeon) or an NPC (if on the field) would find you and take you back to town.
You are forced to stay in town until you recover from your injuries.
But you are the protagonist, the character is blessed by the goddesses and all that silly stuff, so you’ll fully recover after a day, or half a day. Even if you lost way too much blood or got your arm chopped.
(Could be 12 or 24 hours depending on the damage that ‘killed’ you, if it was an overkill or not.)

So well, I could continue, but i guess that this post is way too long for a suggestion that involves big changes, I’m mostly doing it to share this vision and that i love when a game makes sense.

We all know that it’s a game and it’s not necessary for a game to make sense, but didn’t we all already had waaaay too many adventures on silly environments?

I would do a TL;DR, but i believe that i everything i wrote was important to me, so well, I’m sorry light readers.

1 Like

there was a game, where if u died there was a chance u would have to start from scratch,(lose ur character) also players were able to kill other players in town

Maybe you are talking about the godly Wizardry, it was a nice game, but actual permadeath on a MMORPG was too much for me, still, the game was great.

I mean I read what you wrote and everything and while it is an interesting idea it’s also extremely boring as well. Like who really wants to wait for 12-24hours before they can actually do something again, it would never work well. :confused:

It’s just permadeath… Some people like me love it, it makes you engage into difficult fights with fear. And that’s a damn lot of fun if you ask me.

A hard enough death penalty makes things fun. Otherwise you’ll run through all the content like if it doesn’t matter: “Oh i died, lost a little bit of EXP. Moving on.”

Forcing the character to remain on town means that you don’t have to die, just like that, and that’s the feeling i want to have while playing a game.

Also, i didn’t just say ‘permadeath’ because it would make all your previous effort completely useless, you might die because of lag or disconnection. That happened a lot on Path of Exile’s hardcore league.
There is always room for inconvenience, but what matters is how much fun you are having.

You won’t lose your all-time progress, you’ll just be unable to use the same character again, which i don’t think is that bad, since you can still trade in town or play with another character.
Given the amount of classes available and the fact that you can’t change your choises, I’m pretty sure that i’m not the only one that will play a second character at some point.

For being a permadeath feature, Its pretty soft in my opinion. Anyways, you shouldn’t really die that often.

Well I have nothing against punishing features but I don’t think it should that heavily affect the ability to play, I dont think anyone would want to keep on making new characters as all the other ones happened to die.
I’d rather have alternative solutions to this but I got to say I’m not really a fan of perma death either.
Maybe some kind of debuff that gives unpleasant conditions to make everything a bit more annoying or harder to do for some time to somewhat resemble being injured or something. Not for 12hours, it’s a video game so everything should be somewhat faster in comparison to the real world to keep people interested. So maybe like a 30minuted to an hour, it should annoying enough to not want to die.

Perhaps if there is no field boss with few ten levels higher that would aggressively attack players?

Best is if you get a high chance to run away, because there are times your party get disconnected, and you are forced to take additional monsters. Remember, not everyone have a stable Internet connection when the players are world wide, and you don’t know where your pug from (or if they are irresponsible for your death by disconnecting for dinner).

If you are limiting to some dungeons, maybe that could be a good idea. Would you also be restricting resurrection by then?

I don’t really have anything against resurrection, and i like how it works in this game, instead of casting a spell, you avoid dying while also getting a nice chunk of health.
Still, ‘resurrecting’ people automatically in middle of combat is a bit broken in my opinion.

As i said about Path of Exile’s hardcore league, deaths by lag are a real thing, but that doesn’t mean that their ruleset bad.

Maybe i went too far by implying that the ruleset could be used server wide, it could be nice too if there were in certain dungeons.
Going again with PoE just because i love how GrindingGears play with the rules.

In PoE, you have this ‘corrupted areas’ on which the ‘mini-dungeon’ gets different properties (monsters with high movement speed, burning ground, earthquakes, falling rocks, thunderstorm, etc)

Special properties on enemies at certain dungeons are also nice.

The game allow you to solo in Path of Exile, which is the difference. In an open world, it is more difficult to enforce it. Not I never play PoE, but it would be different on how you can do it in a community base game.