Tree of Savior Forum

Some Feedback and Constructive Criticism (To IMC)

(This post is broken into two threads in order to cut down on the wall of text, the other will be in the community forum. Here is the link for the other thread, I actually talk about my view points on the grind in the thread Some Feedback and Constructive Criticism (To the community).)

Let me start off by saying that it was awesome to be able to participate in the beta test for ToS. IMC has a great start to a game that shows a lot of promise down the road as it develops. So now that the beta has ended I would like to offer some of my feedback and constructive criticism towards both IMC and our developing community.

To IMC:

This game is off to a great start, I am impressed by how well this has already come together. So far Tree of Savior has potential to be an MMO experience that is truly unique among the current genre of MMORPGs. The game has a lot of the charm of and feel of a classic style MMO while still retaining some modern elements; however, the thing that makes this game stand out the most for me is that it has a personal touch to it that really shows how much effort has already gone into this. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us.

Since there is still so much of the game that we have not yet experienced and I do not know what your plans are for the future my feedback to you is more concern than criticism. There are a lot of things to bring up but for now I will start with the two primary concerns I have at the moment, the first being the linear level progression of the maps and the second is what you guys plan to do with the cash shop.

I know that during the beta that there were a lot of maps that were inaccessible to players and that the regions we could go to only spanned a small portion of the overall world map, but I also explored just about every region that was accessible. What I noticed during my traveling is that a lot of maps progressed by 5-10 level increments with only one map for each interval until about the level 90 to 110 ranges where there were a few maps for a specific interval that started to show up. Can we expect to see more maps for the less than 100 level ranges when more of the world is made available to us?

The first closed beta just ended so it’s really early to be getting concerned about the cash shop but it is one of those things that has left a bad taste in a few people’s mouths one too many times. I am in no way opposed to the cash shop, since if implemented correctly it can be a real boon, but it is a source of worry. Do you guys have any plans yet on what you intend to put into the cash shop, and do you plan on getting feedback from the community about what will be stocked before it is fully implemented?

Again, this game is great and I really look forward to being a part of the world Tree of Savior and its community. Thank you IMC!

1 Like

Here’s a post on my ideas for cash shop with just 5mins of brainstorming.

Interesting, though personally I feel that we would want to avoid things like the recipes for magical items or the companions in this scenario. Even if they are slightly weaker then the best it means they are better then everything that is not the top of the line which from the way I see it, would make a lot of other things worthless. Also I would want to avoid the bonus xp cards, I personally support having a difficult grind and I feel like that would really just make the grind more unbearable for those who don’t want to spend the money. Basicly anything that could provide a mechanical advantage is not something I think should be in the cash shop. But this is only my opinion and I do not speak for others in this community.

On the other side I do think that having things like costumes would be great. Things that are purely cosmetic are awesome for a cash shop. I would advise putting in specialty cosmetic headgears, maybe even seasonal/holiday ones that are only available during certain times. Also maybe the cash shop could have special non combat pets (aka cute pets) that are just cool to have.

Basicly I think that if it is purely cosmetic then I have no problems with the cash shop, but once the items start to provide a mechanical benefit then it will also effect the meta of the gameplay which can lead to a pay to win kind of mentality in the player base.

Again, this is just my opinion on the matter.

Seriously guys, it’s not that hard to make a ton of cash shop moneys without introducing “convenience” items that make the game’s grind easier (like equips, pets, and bonus exp stuff)

Listen, listen guys. All you gotta do:

1. Draw sprites for super cute special hats
  2. Jam it into the cash shop
  3. ???
  4. Profit!!!

While I get the reference I hardly think the question marks are needed in this example xD

The special hats are used to jam into the cash shop… and well…

Some obvious stuff happens that we don’t really need to talk about… >//>

And then…

Profit occurs…

Not sure why you are against time saving measures that well help player progress faster. These aren’t mechanical benefits for PvP. These simply allow faster in game progress for those who are willing to spend (likely full time workers that have little time for grinds). 2nd best recipe doesn’t impact game balance, because if you are willing to work for it (grind) you can have the best from in game methods.

No one will complain about a +8 STR gloves when there are bunch of people with their +10 STR gloves, and the rest grinding for that best +10 STR glove.

You support a difficult grind but worry about a difficult grind (grind more unbearable)? Contradict yourself much? :sweat:

I apologize if I was unclear in my context, I meant that it would make the grind more unbearable as a mental thing, it would be no more difficult to grind than if the boosters weren’t there but it can then feel that way as a person watches others progress faster than them for no other reason than because they spent money. The words difficult and unbearable are not interchangeable in the context I am referring to.

I am not against measures that help a player progress faster, I am just against introducing things that would take away from the experience of a game like this. I find that with games like these the grind is difficult because that is part of what shapes the actual experience, for people who work full time or not how you progress through the game is and what you do in it is what makes it unique and fun. Unlike other games where the point is to progress to the end and partake in endgame content this type of style is more about the journey taken along the way, and there isn’t endgame content like in other modern MMOs.

This is what I think ToS will be like, now I could be wrong since I do not work for IMC nor do I know their plans but from what I have seen so far this is what I expect it will be like.

If this is indeed the case then the actual equipment or recipes or pets that would be considered the best in the game would be very rare, as in very few would have them at all and by providing something that is just beneath that quality you remove the purpose of any other equipments or recipes that would be normally used in the game.

That’s why I am against these kinds of things, its because there is no rush to get to the end because by doing that we will end up missing some of the best parts of what this game could offer as a multiplayer experience.

Yer, some legit concerns there.

Regarding the cash shop, I doubt any two people would ever agree on what they think should be in there so I don’t know if opening it up for community suggestions/feedback would be too helpful. But I really do think this is one of the BIG areas that IMC need to really get right.

If they spent money, can’t you accept that they will progress the game faster, but you’ll eventually get there too (with some hardwork). Personally I do not think that getting to endgame is the purpose of a social MMO like ToS.

I thought most people responded well to the motto “if i can’t pay for it, I will work for it”.

Yea but can’t you live with the fact that that dude actually paid to support the game, and so he can have a easier time with game progression? He still has to grind for the +10 STR gloves like everyone else if he wanted to max out.

Also I don’t know if you were in CBT, but items were all level restricted, so “the best” here applies only to items in a specific level bracket (e.g. 15-45), not end game equipment (I think this is too far away).

The best items will be rare yes, but you can grind for it. Dude who paid also has to grind for it if he wants it. If you don’t grind he has the better cash shop item, but if you grind he can’t surpass you. :slight_smile: