Tree of Savior Forum

Since Bots are a hot topic, inform yourself before comments/rants/threads

Here some papers about professional work against BOTs in MMOs, I want you before any replies/threads/comments/rants read those papers or maybe even more to inform yourself about the subject and don’t vomit everything you think is true.

• Remember, BOT creators are smart, graduated, they don’t like the game, they don’t play the game, they don’t do this to get better gear to beat you on PVP, they only get their hands on raw data and make their program to sell it for those that will put them to use.

• The fastest and “easiest” way to defeat any BOT and BOT dev is to make their work not rewarding, by not buying from them, not using their tools to take advantage on others. But because it’s impossible to take away the selfishness and greed of those who use this kind of tools, we have to deal with it in a non-optimal manner, thus the struggler.

KEEPING BOTS OUT OF ONLINE GAMES (SMALL PAPER)

RESEARCH ARTICLE IDENTIFYING MMORPG BOTS: A TRAFFIC ANALYSIS APPROACH (BIG PAPER)

OPENKORE

GLIDER

@Staff_Julie @STAFF_John

7 Likes

My money on “Regularity Test” to identify bots and then sue them like Blizzard did. Hit them in the wallet, is where hurt the most.

Blizzard vs Bot maker:

The paper on traffic analysis is particularly good reading. That’s the sort literature that a good bot-hunting task force would be trained on.

2 Likes

I’m impressed there exists academic level research papers just on botting. Great stuff there if you have time to read it.

2 Likes

Nice articles. I’ll work through them for the next hour or so.

2 Likes

The problem with this is that the only reason Blizzard was able to sue him was because he had a legally registered company in the US that he was developing the bot under. The developer made several million dollars and got cocky because of it.

Most of the time you will not be able to track down the bot developer to sue them.

1 Like

Seems like the forums won’t have any rest until the EA and OBT starts, eh?

Damn… one can only hope

Thanks for the insight.

+1 :heart:

I just crunched the first article.

Nothing really applicable for ToS except for reducing the incentive / extending the bot busting duration. They couldn’t offer a really strong CAPTCHA without using physical (i.e real world) devices.

Working on the second…

1 Like

The second that’s the good one, first is only there for those that dislike reading…

I’m professional at bobbing.

It will become only worse after the start, if anything.

As much as I agree that bots are a serious problem and discussing the ways of making their life harder is useful, I still wish people would keep it in one thread instead of 20 all around the forum.

1 Like

Wanted to read the first article, saw catpcha highlighted in big letters something which is a complete no-go in scientific articles. Read the conclusion and saw the proof that it is bullshit.

The second article is about traffic which is interesting.

Still none mentions end-to-end encryption which is the death for every halfway decent bot.

1 Like

I’ll just put it out there now. The only true bot detection you only need is to detect for extremely high levels of activity (activity defined as movement state outside of town). You will still get false positives of players sharing accounts, but to have success in this game, every account (I emphasize account because it is a rare instance for people to share accounts as that is trending a gray area in Steam’s terms of service) must have an “equal” chance (equal in quotations because of early access) of enjoying the game without being ruined by harsh economic conditions caused by botting.

Limit the use of time, and you’ll have less players complaining about how bots are greatly destroying the game. As for who decides on time, that is up to IMC, but I highly doubt that many human beings are willing to hit an average of 18+ hrs/day for a month.

Nice info, thanks. Sadly I think IMC gave up with the bot problem :disappointed:
Because this message:

We’ve come up with this initial access to prevent numerous Bot Accounts from the early stages of service and to provide a stable in-game environment to our users.

End-to-end encryption will not solve anything. The client is still encrypting/decrypting the packets so DLL injection bots are unaffected.

Halfway decent written it shouldn’t be easy to get the encryption key. Especially with modern IT we have now.
DLL injection is a problem because of that shitty windows code but VAC can sniff that. And weekly updated encryption keys are a huge pain for botters.
But in the end it costs more money and therefor will never find its way in.

Nothing about that message even implies they gave up. In fact, there are several very recent posts from staff members that thank people for all the input on bot fighting, and they’re looking into solutions

[quote=“nuriomarayana, post:18, topic:153284, full:true”]
Nothing about that message even implies they gave up. In fact, there are several very recent posts from staff members that thank people for all the input on bot fighting, and they’re looking into solutions[/quote]
They are admitting there will be lots of bots and that they can’t do nothing about it :confused:

An absolute nonsense claim. You’re looking at evidence and drawing the exact opposite conclusion. If I were to tell you I have 3 sisters, you’ll go around claiming I have 2 brothers