Tree of Savior Forum

Simple thematic thing for Monks

Hey there. I’m aware this is something others have pointed out already, as well as giving their own thoughts on how to go about it. Consider this a +1 to it.

Simply put: … Monks should attack unarmed, PERIOD. Their skills clearly reflect that they’re the “Punch and Kick” class of Tree of Savior. It makes no sense that they do normal attacks with weapons, only to go unarmed for skills.

Now, what to do? Quite simple, an attribute.

Name: Unarmed Striking
Monk Circle: 1
Points Needed: 1
Toggle: Yes
Effect: Your character will attack as if unarmed, their weapons remaining in their “put away” positions. This attribute is purely cosmetic.

This way Monk players could get their unarmed attacks while keeping weapons visible for all the usefulness of it (knowing what weapon slots are active, equipment transparency in PvP, etc.). Also, and this is just me, but attacking unarmed while keeping your weapons on your back gives a “This isn’t even my final form” feel that many would surely love. I know I would.

Ideally, adding Knuckles/Fists as weapons OR a Skill/Attribute that would boost unarmed attacking would be the absolute best way to go about it, but those solutions imply making new assets AND a lot of testing/balancing work. Both require an amount of time MUCH greater than the solution I’m providing.

And that’s it. Anyone feel free to add your own two cents to my own!

Personally I would like a stance skill

while in barehanded stance monk gets 1 additional damage line, boost in normal attack speed, and recover sp per hit of normal attack.
Does not recover sp if the attack is dodged, blocked/safety zone etc.
It also has an attribute that increases range, halves recovered sp per hit

an attribute is fine too since it wouldn’t cost skill points

Thing is, as I already mentioned, making this attribute requires NO new graphical assets to be made (they can re-use an already existant icon, for all I care!), and no testing whatsoever (other than checking if the animation works as it should). Just script it, ship it, done.

I mean, When Monks perform their skills, their weapons remain visible in their back. This attribute would keep such things consistent.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つgif monk barehand attribute imc༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

1 Like

Oh, I might also add that with this attribute, if you have a sword equipped instead of a mace, your character would punch… WITH A SLASH PROPERTY! That’s some “Hokuto no Ken” s**t, right there! And coupled with skills like Hand Knife? It’d fit in perfectly!

Also, having a sword in one slot and a mace in the other, switching between them to take advantage of property types? That’d be just like switching stances, from punching to chopping, or whatever!

Now, sure, it might not be the most optimal, min/maxed, perfectly strategical thing to do… but this thread’s about theme, so buck it. :V