Tree of Savior Forum

[Shinobi] The Real Tank of ToS

dude that’s only 6 mobs at video
not mention all non magic mobs and not dungeon mobs.

Bunshin was design for damage burst not for tanking
But if you think you can, thats up to you.

That is pretty much a standard DPS Shinobi build, with the difference on stat allocation.

I might have liked it way more with Rodelero so you could use Slithering and have immunity to more types of damage while you are under the effect of Bunshin to truly take advantage of it. At least you have your physical damage reduction is covered pretty well.

You will have High CON so with Aias+Finestra your Block is going to be pretty high, giving you more liberty to use something like Cloth armor instead (although the extra stamina from Plate will come handy for this build too, so you could test both of them out with Stamina pills and see what works best).

I would just stick mostly with CON though, since Block will be more effective than Evasion on this type of build and your Critical Rate is already covered with Finestra+gems, which means you won’t need that much DEX to cover the rest of it.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for people trying out new builds and ideas.
Shinobi is just so far into the game that if your build doesn’t work out, the time invested will be wasted, just asking you… if that happens please don’t make a fuss about it.

Guys, he never state that he is using bunshin to tank, please read properly.

1 Like

the post already edited.

@Cathexis

I was thinking about Rod, but really slithering is not worth it imo. It does not stop CC so, correct me if I am wrong, if hit with CC it stops, also it’s up time is not 100% so it really is just a bandaid until IMC does something about resistance. The idea behind my build is to, when called for, pop bunshin and actually be able to burst, and when I need to tank then I can tank.

There are actually some interesting things in the build like Jolly’s damage nullification attribute and stabbing’s RNGesus for mag dam. The specific setup was originally going to be a goon but toying with the shinobi Idea lead me to looking deeply into tanking when I just could not find a spec that could compete with top DPS alla wiz/arch.

Mirarara is right, I did not touch my original statement, I added in an Edit to clarify, Never did I once state I planned to tank with Bunshin.

as you said man.
but here some advice : be a gentleman.

@Cathexis do you feel cloth is even viable? does it offer enough mag dam to compensate for the loss of con? I am not very happy with resistance atm it is an extremely lackluster stat in the amounts that are available. It would be more appealing if cloth gave a greater straight reduction or offered significant amounts of resistance.

Also I think a 1:1:1 ratio is what I will try first (because I alreayd have Str, and soem str will lend to any damage I intend to put out, non-group content) based off calculator that lends itself to over 30K base HP vs 40k 3:1 con/dex[quote=“Ghrim, post:23, topic:225854, full:true”]
Don’t get me wrong, I am all for people trying out new builds and ideas.Shinobi is just so far into the game that if your build doesn’t work out, the time invested will be wasted, just asking you… if that happens please don’t make a fuss about it.
[/quote]

@Ghrim I could say the same for many who go Goon and realize that sword DPS is lackluster and tanking is a key role, which they can not perform. If you pick any circle at any point and it does not synergize with your build you have dead ended your character, rank 7 or rank 3~7 does not make much of a difference, at least rank 7 shinobi has a solid DPS skill in Kunai and my build can be resoecced to go a more DPS route if the need arose.

I did not pull this out of my rear, I spent many hours watching goign over DPs builds, all came to the conclusion that Archers and Wiz will surpass even the most extreme DPS builds of sword. This made me then look hard into tanking. I get the appeal of Pel3Rod3 or some variation there of, or goign for Fencer etc.

BUT the biggest issue then become even with maximum hate point generation you still have trouble keeping hate (low damage). Thus I examined ways to maximize hate point generation and Shinobi shined here. Ever skill EXCEPT bunshin worked well for a tank role. AOE hate generation and even range via kunai to spread that threat circle further out.

Further unlike most I work a full time Job and have 3 children a wife and many other responsibilities. This had lead to a slow progress, which has worked in my favor, It has allowed me to plan, plan, and plan some more. Toss out plans and come up with new plans, then plan some more. I have followed Cathexis’ threads, autentis, and even stormwolf’s. I have read the many Sword sucks, Tanks suck, Cleric can tank better, Archer/Wiz rule threads. I have Played the game, missions and dungeons mostly, sitting on tons of exp cards and well behind in quests. soon as I get the damn flower its time to stop procrastinating and I will find out if theory turns to gold, or lead.

1 Like

lol noob
/20lolnooblol

Brave man.

Here are the build that i’m gonna test.

STAT: CON/DEX 2:1

Just theory still long way to go.

Better wait some Shinobi bug or pvp fix 1st.

It doesn’t stop CC, but if you are CC’ed under the effect of Slithering you still keep on blocking the damage, so at least it has that going for it.

I don’t think the cool-down of Slithering would have been much of a problem, because you only want to cover the down-time of Bunshin, which is 20 seconds duration (on a 49 seconds cool-down). Which means that Slithering will easily cover half of Bunshin’s damage penalty duration but in practice it will be higher because you will use a few seconds beforehand to deal damage and you can cover the rest of the time with hiding or just kiting.

Slithering wouldn’t have to be used all the time either, just whenever it is necessary, so in the end it would be a pretty reliable way to help on dangerous situations.

On a very high CON build, I think it is worth at least a try (and a little bit more with Stabbing’s buff to Magic Defense). But on a 1:1:1 build, I don’t think it will be, but you could still try it out and see what you find.

@Cathexis

Thats one thing going for it at least, the wording made it seem like it would end if you were cc/ stopped. As far as Bunshin goes I was not thinking about that, interesting idea, not really planning to pop punshin when tanking however.

the 1:1:1 is more due to thats what I can do right now, I will test it first then decide because we only get the one stat reset, currently, and would rather test it out first b4 I fully commit to full Con or at least a 3:1 con build.

Question
do you know the numbers for how much each additional pirate member adds to the damage nullification attribute of Jolly Roger?

I honestly misunderstood this guy @nazrious from the beginning…until i got to understand his theories…
My apologies if I misunderstood you before.

"A Shinobi can tank without the Bunshin Clones. When the Shinobi uses Bunshin can deal burst damage as well."

He got an interesting theory here…
We have the same concept before…
and I was thinking about it before I created my 1st character.
Just like the Full CON Elementalist that I saw in youtube…that guy could wipe out almost all teams…
I’ll test the stat High CON Mid DEX…someday…

But I hope you will make it faster than I do…

#I deeply respect you sir.

1 Like

its all good @Stormwolf

I am currently camping the damned flower and will try and keep you up to date.

1 Like

Nope, we don’t have any proper documented test about this, but if I had to guess I would say that it is just 2.5% per Corsair member.

Good luck buddy :slight_smile:
Be always a ninja with a heart :sunglasses:

Thnks.

@Stormwolf

TY. Was talking to a ninja by the name of azhal(sp?) he says he can steadily out DPS Goon with ninja, he also said for magic boss he kite nd CC then bursts when safe zone is possible. Thinking about it perhaps all ninjas need a good healing friend. He does says even with a low con build he can tank but magic is hard to mob unless group can kill fast/ CC them.

Need a Kabuto for our Orochmaru lol.

@Cathexis
He also mentions that Kunai is something Like 72 strikes 36x2, does each use a charge on concentrate or just each use?

Edit: if clones benefit from it that is but even if not that is 12X concentrate+Blessing+offhand bonus.

The only concern now is damage taken. Even if 5x damage taken, but if damage taken only 100. Thats only 500. But if u taken 2k each hit, that will be insane. So it more risk than -100% def from deeds of valor lvl10, where the damage taken only got flat increase based on def. So even with full con, still need some precaution when to use it. All this just from what i understand. Btw, can we cancel bunshin after use it?

please see op, you do not tank with bunshin.

Bunshin allows you to dps even with crap str.

I do not think so, run out of stamina, thus why I say to open with clones > then SPRINT to corner or wall, it allows you to deplete stamina clones poof and then u can pop a pill if needed.

not exactly a auto match tank, you need to communicate with party especially healer so they understand what your tactics are.