Tree of Savior Forum

Rune Caster build - did I mess up?

So I have a Rune Caster presently, and hopefully I haven’t completely messed it up.

Anyway, here is my current build:

wiz > cryo 3 > link > runecast

I was planning to go Thaum for transpose (currently rolling full CON), but it seems like I NEED to go psycokino at some point to use PP + Ice Wall.

I plan to go Sage at R8, so I have R7 left. DO I have options, or is Psychokino the only R7 that makes sense? Also, was linker a mistake? Help with what to use for cryo skills (currently I’m full Ice pike, full ice wall, and 5 in each snow rollinw / frost pillar, with 15 points to spare)… should I skill reset? I seem to see some interest in using Ice Blast recently…

thoughts?

Thanks! :smiley:

pp icewalls are kind of overrated tbh. 2 minutes cooldown…and the damage isnt really amazing either. and theres also the setup. you would have a much better combo with linker + sage (hangmans knot + micro)

the good thing about the build you already have is subzero shield+missile hole…means you are very very very resilient against anything that does physical damage (missiles+melee)

the bad news here though: you dont have wiz3. means you have neither quickcast nor surespell. which makes your combatrunes (RoD and RoJ) almost useless in combat.

this leaves you with 3 options: KINO for icewall pp, wiz2 for surespell (6 seconds casttime are still too long imo) or linker2 (which makes you an overall good support already but your rune of ice and therefore the whole runecaster not very useful in your build).

in the end its your decision what you want to play.

What’s the best option to spare the Rune Caster. Is Thaum straight out of the question? I’m not too concerned about cooldowns, just looking for the strongest character I can make… mostly burst damage w/ good aoe. Going Wiz2 just for surespell and a bit of a reduction in cast time doesn’t wow me that much. Damn… wish I’d have done more research before doing a reset. xD

Thanks!

Yea, definitely dont go wiz2… the surespell seems good on paper, but what we really need to be aware of is that CC will still ruin our day.

I read somewhere that sage’s cloned ice wall wont shoot shards when PPed (anyone can pls confirm?)… if that is true, i’d consider enchanter to make the magic missile lightning elemental (which will work nicely w/ joint penalty attribute)… Also, extra 400 dmg (per shard) by enchant lightning for the icewall PP combo would be nice too.

In your current build, Wiz Cryo3 Link1 Kino1 RC1 Enchanter1 could be good… but if Cloned Icewall can shoot shards too, then definitely go sage.

Linker in your build wont be such a waste, I read somewhere that the icewall + ice blast combo only have low AoE ratio (like, 1?)… So, doing JP first and HKing before blasting can help tremendously to boost damage. Need people to confirm on this too.

" currently I’m full Ice pike, full ice wall, and 5 in each snow rollinw / frost pillar, with 15 points to spare "

There’s no way you have 15 points to spare since you have spent 40 points. But the skill distribution isnt bad, and 1 point in ice blast is enough…

no…you are right…6 seconds casttime even if you dont get interrupted are just too long. and i dont see thauma1 as useful in any build.

so…

if you pick linker: you will have an easy time against multiple enemys and most of your damage will come from the sage skills. you can still use boosted icespike for bosses which hits pretty good since they have a big hitbox. you will have missile hole and archers (the wizards bane rly) can be laughed at. its also easier to find a party with linker2 and pvp as sage+cryo will be fun aswell.

as for kino: well ye…you will have the almighty icewall combo, and i know ive said the damage is not amazing…what i ment was “its not amazing for a 2 minute cooldown”. it isnt bad actually and lasts a while. party wise you will probably have a hard time linker1 only links 5 targets and you will have trouble setting up your rune in crowded fights like ET or grindfests that require you to move constantly. all in all its probably more damage though.
in pvp it can be really tricky to set up a icewall and shove it in the right way, but there you also have stuff like teleport and swap as kino.

thats so far what i can tell you gameplay wise. linker will be much easier in general. and as kino you will have more damage at the risk not being able to set it up properly.

its not like your build is broken…its just abit scattered^^

I would suggest going Linker 2 then Sage

Yeah I screwed that up somewhere. It’s currently: full ice pike, 5 ice wall, 5 snow rolling, 5 frost pillar, 15 to spare.

I’m planning on 15 ice pike, 15 ice wall, 5 snow, 5 frost, 4 ice bolt, 1 ice blast (1 is only needed?)

@Alyosha dnt put Ice pike at 15…5 is enough you have link right? If I were you put ice blast combo with link. Just balance your distribution and max Ice wall frost pillar snow rolling. It should be okay.

Ice blast im not sure if 1 level is enought because if you want to deal damage with rune of ice+iw±ice blast the damage get better at more levels in my case i will go for at least 10 levels of ice blast.

Ice blast will increase you 4,8k damage per blast if you go from lvl 1 to lvl 15 with 100% attributes and rune of ice. I’m personally doing 30k per ice blast, having 4,8k more per blast would be ok, but, not worth investing 14 points of other op cryo skills.

@Indygo PP + Ice wall doesn’t do great damage? sorry to interrupt but i do 30 Milion, on 5k MATK only (there’s ppl already rolling 14k with chapparitions). Ice Wall + PP is great because of it’s scaling, every bit of damage you get becomes a lot more in scale. OFC a full con build without great investment is never gonna do damage.

For rank7 alternatively you could go Warlock: 1 good damage, 2nd Mastema synergy with new rune of justice (mastema increases damage taken by holy property and new rune of justice is gonna be 2 overheat and holy property), but yet again, you are not wiz3, and having a 6 second csat rune of justice is shitty.

AS far as i know , cloned ice walls don’t shoot shards, but can be ice blastes.

Ice blast has 1 aoe attack ratio, taht’s true, and linker would make you hit all targets with ice blast, but you are not gonna do marvelous damage without nice MATK. AS i said, i have 3k MATK, with lvl 18 ice wall (ice wall gem) on a single target i can do around 400k. With rune of ice + chapparition around 1,6 Milion damage, reaching 5k with chapparition. With linker 1 you are only gonna hit 5 targets, with a 1 min combo which won’t kill rank8 mobs by itself. I don’t knw your MATK thought,

DPS (try to save you) builds:
If you wanna cast runes you may as well consider going wiz3.

The ez DPS oriented safest route i think you could get is Warlock + Sage or either FF2 since you are full con and thankfully FF2 has hp scaling skill.

Still the warlock rune caster combo with a slow rune of justice is kinda questionable because of the lack of quick cast.

You skill points should be 10 subzero, 5 tree 5 snow 15 ice wall then 1 pointer ice blast, and share the otehrs between ice bolt and pike. Pike doesn’t even scale that well with skill level.

The other route is going supportish as everyone said, linker sage would be the easiest for you and makes most sense. CC from cryo, link and hangman, and missile hole.

Thaumaturge is out of the question, thaumas are worth if you are full int, not really for full con.

2 Likes

I can’t go wiz3, as I’m currently wiz>cryo3>link>rune already, unfortunately?

With that said, it sounds like psychokino might make the most sense here from what I’m reading. I feel like going linker2 might be cool for the extra links, but I’d miss out on that potentially huge pp + ice wall combo, assuming of course I don’t absolutely need wiz3 to make that useful.

I’m currently full CON (had originally planned to roll Thauam and transpose if necessary), but plan to do a stat reset if need be. I’d then be going mostly INT if I do, and about 30 points into CON.

Thanks!

@pereyraibz ye ive said in my second post that its the cooldown and setup that is the problem here. if you are in the middle of a fight…you set up your icewall…and suddently the boss moves on the other side of the room…or you are beeing flooded by mobs, or you have to move constantly in a grind. thats kind of the biggest flaw to it. you have great dmg potential…but it can be very inconsistent. like if you setup your stuff with a druid and the boss moves somewhere else…you lose 1m dmg and have to wait 30 seconds for the next cd. yes ofc its different if you have a coordinated party…but thats an IF

I’m sorry for joining your conversation, but the reason why i do that, it’s because I on the way to roll the same build, but since had breakfrom playing game, stopped at wiz - cryo - cryo. Does it worth to go further as cryo 3 and then 2 more wiz and then RC? I had as an option to switch in to sorcerer, but heared they aren’t as good and more useful with another base ranks. Or something else there out with cryo to do?

hmpf…cryo without frost pillar is not so effective i suppose. wiz 3 works pretty good with runecaster too. i think the problem about cryo3+wiz3+rc is…you have to choose between kino and sage in the end…hard decision really

The problem as i see of the RC+cryo+kino build is kill a big number of mobs, but you can go with sage but you still have the problem with grinding mobs.

About have W3 with rune caster i dont see that much problem if you have blink it gives you some time to cast and set up against bosses.

Thank you guys for your advices!
What do you think if I drop rc and pick warlock on the end? Maybe it’ll be more effective build to play with. Such as w - cryo3 - kino -… -warlock?

Yes Frost Pillar and Snow Rolling you really can’t not get them.
I mained a Wiz3Cryo3RC before resetting and it was either Thaum, Kino or Sage at the end. I think I would have went with Kino.
Lotsa skills to rotate, lots of Sp pots consumed, it was fun all around if you dont mind sudden skills not casting or glitching lol.
I miss Wiz3 a lot, so effective.

Wait… why thaum? I thought it was either linker, kino, or sage?

^ Oh it was for the buffs, mainly for supporting.

picking a low circle class for rank8 is not recommended if there’s no synergy involved… The specialized build will feel a bit “scattered” .

If you choose Linker for the rank8, beside an enabler in most situation, this class also has synergy with the ice wall + ice blast combo (since they have AoE Ratio of 1, linking + HKing first help a lot). During the downtime of icewall, you can still MM those linked mobs.

For Kino, beside the famous IW + PP combo (which also benefit from surespell in your arsenal), you can also swap boss(es) into your ice prison for the ice blast.

For Sage, i heard 2 different feedbacks…
Some said the cloned Ice Wall wont shoot any shard.
Another said cloned Ice Wall can still shoot shard, but the direction is messed up and not the same as your character’s. (need further testing on this)

Even if the cloned Ice Wall works perfectly w/ PP, due to this path not having any kino, picking sage is then because it is a rank 8 class w/ a nice defensive buff (missile hole). Not much on the synergy i suppose.