Tree of Savior Forum

Rune Caster [And how I would rework the class]

My main was Rune Caster, and I am gonna explain what and why I would change from this class.

1st. I’d globally decrease the cast time of runes from 6 seconds to 2 seconds.

The reasoning is simple. Rune caster is somewhat of a wizard3 limited class, because of its high cast times, having also great compatibility with other classes such as Cryomancer. Having such big cast times punishes non-wizard3 builds. This change is in order to bring more variaty (and I know what you may be thinking; he just wants to make rune of giants far more overpowered in the upcoming future, sorry but, that’s no my intention, keep reading).

2nd. Reduce cooldowns on runes.

For example, i’d propose offensive runes like Rune of Destruction to 35 seconds and Rune of Justice to 24 seconds. Rune of Protection and Rune of Ice to 100% uptime to their current duration. (No, I don’t want to speak about rune of giants yet).

3rd. Implement a Rune Crafting system and Rune item requirement for skills.

This is the backlash i’d introduce for points 1 and 2, and also makes Rune Caster more “Unique” I guess. Reducing Casting Time in battle, but moving that time to Crafting before battle.

The system works right now in a way in which you buy Blank Runes from Rune Caster Master, and then you cast the rune. I would suggest a system were you still buy Blank Runes from Rune Caster Master, but then you Craft Spell Runes, which can be unleashed in battle. You actually write the rune. (pretty dope right).

So you buy a Blank Rune -> Make a Rune of Destruction out of it. Skill consumes 1 rune per cast.

4th. Rework Rune of Giants.

It’s simple, Nexon is doing work trying to “balance” rune of giants, but the point is, skill usage is gonna be broken as long as rune of giants gives you 100% uptime on huge defense statuses.

I suggest a Restoration Rune, a rune imbued with the power of life, able to restore a character to 100% HP/SP when fully mastered.

Skill: Rune of Restoration

Effect: Recovers 4/8/12/16/20% HP and SP every seconds for 5 seconds. Cooldown: 50 seconds (Same cooldown i’d consider to put on Rune of Ice and Rune of protection). (Imma keep going bois)

5th. Consider reworking Rune of Protection.

This one way more simple. I’d suggest lower effect duration but adding pain barrier effect / Reduced % DMG taken, something following this.

Pain barrier effect: 5/10/15/20/25 seconds
Cooldown: 50 seconds.

Damage taken reduction: 10/20/30/40/50% for 25 seconds
Cooldown 50 seconds.

After all this writting and reading. What would this make out of Rune Caster.

Rune Caster would become a more viable class for many builds, mostly cryomancer3 builds with no wizard3.

Rune Caster would also be able to have a role with other classes, such as Warlock’s Mastema holy property damage increase + Rune of Justice and being able to choose from a variety of useful runes.

It would also fit inside many other builds bringing self-buffing with Restoration and Protection and also some offensive skills.

Basically, all rune caster builds are right now about 5 points in Rune of Destruction, and then, depending if you are Cryomancer you go 5 points in Rune of Ice, and since Rune of Giants is situational and Rune of Protection is in a weak spot, you may aswell pump points ni Rune of Justice.

That is why I recommend modifing our actual Rune of Giants and Rune of Justice.

Hope you enjoyed the reading.

TL:DR; Rune caster -> craft skill specific runes (reduced Cast times and Cooldown). Rune of Giants becomes Rune of Restoration (Heals HP and SP instead of ridiculous hard to balance skill) and Rune of Protection with more personal utility. Rune of Ice 100% uptime for tryhard Cryomancers (who are never gonna match Pyromancers).

4 Likes

The biggest problem of RC is sinergy with wiz 3, you can use quick cast and surespell but other skills are useless.
For example if make a match against the four class base (wiz3 - archer3 - cleric 3- swordman 3) maybe the most weak are wizard… quck cast attribute in rune caster skill like destruction or justice are already add in the entire damage of this skill (because IMC think that wiz3 is a prerequisite and in also between rune caster attributere we can find the possibility to auto-cast quick after a rune skill).

Another problem is Rune of giants with new patch and enable only wiz 3 and rune skill, maybe IMC have already the project to add also cryo (because rune of ice affinity) and make rune as a support class, but rog in this moment is weak and only for fun. In fact when we use this “buff” we have one increase of hp, def, m. def (+ 100%) and range (or only visual effect) but with a lot of hp without recovery its, is another problem.

Rune of protection… only for spr build, buff with no sense. Too much short and useless. IMC maybe will better to change (like reflect shield) but more powerfull or make another damage skill instead of this.

Rune destruction is wonderful, do a lot of aoe but… why in skill description there isn’t none annotation? And reflect damage on multiply enemy isn’t a way to say (reflect shield)? So there are some incosistencies.

Rune of justice (great with rework) but bad with wiz 3 affinity or other class (another skill for fun), now with holy make more damage and give a buff damage from warlock mastema… wait! There isn’t time to do this combo because also a full con build have already kill boss xD
(And most difficult to direct the ray)

So casting time slow, bad affinity with other class ( why only rune of ice and not one rune that give elemental damage?) and others problems, make this class only for lovers of this playing-style.

I have five rune with differents builds and I hope one day staff rework again in the last and definitive Rune Caster where this class can finally compete with game meta.

pain barrier would be amazing, class SAVED

not sure how giant rune synergies with anything. i play RC but idk about wasting skill resets to test. but would being giant add anything at all offensively?

what about psychic pressure? or other casting skills? would giant rune make youre area of effect 2x larger? i just wish i knew how i could utilize giant rune with its recent “buff” which i cannot understand, yes youre giant, yes its an amazing skill when used on another player. but in a solo environment i wish to know how it could help offensively (if any) because with rune of protection getting a big buff id consider that to be good enough and not bothering with giant rune UNLESS it also has some sort of offensive capabilities (even something small… well besides that silly damage caused when jumping which does literally nothing)

Restoration Rune would be Perfect!!!, maybe sounds like it was OP. But hey, Cleric can do something like that twice with their heal skill !!!.

Beside of that Iam not agree with the cast time, unless 3 seconds that would be nice. And Iam more into the 30s>Cool Down> 80s, for the RC’s CD time.

Iam also love your suggestion about that blank rune. Because Iam thinking you have already make your own rune in the first step, why you didn’t make one?.

So in my opinion, RC needs a major rework. Because RC is a ‘Red Banner’ class, and also a hidden class that have 1 circle (of course). So RC suppose to have all of his skills are damaging skills, or at least one. I think Rune of Giant and Protection that needs a replacement.

Rune of Restoration would allow you to also recover full sp, could be useful to heal full hp/sp in a very short time (5 seconds), it’s more of a sustain / emergency heal, that’s what i wanted it to seem. A skill which can be used for sustained grinding, and also to save your ass in some special situations, but not being overpowered. That was my whole idea.

the reason i would reduce cast time is to offer rune caster for more space in build crafting, personal building, not requiring wiz3.

Also if some people think Rune of Restoration is OP, there should be attribute that makes RR can effect the whole party. Example full party gives 20% HP and SP Recover per character (100% divide by 5 members, including the caster).

Ah… would be nice if they really add this, or something more exciting :sunglasses: .

For now I think only for affinity with cryo and psycho would be great with … instead of only wiz 3 skill and remove rune of protection with other (better damage skill because rune is a dps class not a buffer >.<)*

*See the red symbol of this class xD

Edit: and remove ice with elemental rune (like ice, fire, light, poison(?)) but make its dosen’t stackable with agny(or remove definitly). There are a lot of way to change rune in better, we must only wait in future if IMC will change the opinion have on wizard tree.

That would be OP as ■■■■, all elements multiplied.

The intention of IMC is making rune of giants 100% upttime. Rune of Giants gives +100% HP/DEF/MDEF and +20 movespeed. And they want to allow you to use ALL spells while giant. Not an offensive skill maybe, but being a lot more tankier you are allowed to play more offensively.

Nope if you remove agny necklage.
Tell me which skill of light, poison or earth have wiz tree
(elementalist eletrocute ? damage is weak, featherfoot bsucking and bbath ? work only with type of mobs)
For earth property we have only earthquake xD

I’ve been searching a little bit, they are some rune that actually more interesting than rune of giant and Isa.

details=Read Here
Rune that I think will possibly exciting: Uruz, Ansuz, Kenaz, Nauthiz, Eihwaz, Sowilo, Berkano, and Laguz. It’s also mentioned the Blank Rune.[/details]

speaking of Elementalist, I wonder why they skills generally have ice and fire property, there is even no earth property dps skill in Elementalist skill tree :sweat_smile: .

1 Like

light: rune of justice. Posion = all feather foot skills, also poison can be amplified by 50% via Joint Penalty.

Wiz3 Link2 RC1 FF2 meta huehue

I would like to have a rune that works like the old divine might (lvl 5 giving ONE skill 5 Levels)

That would be perfect, cause Iam using that build right now.

Btw, I think you should change this post title to make itu more attractive :+1: .

I think if they make a system for hidden classes to have more skills, this skill balance problem could be minimized, maybe.

Good suggestion, but i like the current Rune of Giants mechanics, except for the crippling skill restriction. There are other ways to make RoG work with all skills, without making it imbalanced - say, how about applying a speed penalty rather than boost, and possibly some other penalties (cast time for example)?

Well I just though if they could make RoG like the combination of all Thaumaturge’s skills and speed boost (5-10), and of course for the thaumaturge effect has reduced effects.

yeah that’d be something too

Rune justice is holy property.
Wiz 3 Link 2 RC1 FF2 is weak now because rog + levitation don’t work anymore and with full con do less damage against boss and with full int you can’t resist against aoe. This build is good for grind but not more

btw FF is good class but link against boss ? (pyro already shot boss)

well that’s sad, Iam using that build right now :sweat: