Tree of Savior Forum

Rebirth Swordies

Scout uses sword/offhand.

Most skills scale with offhand. There aren’t that many that scales with mainhand.

The fencer penalty doesn’t exist anymore last I checked. They can use shields now without lost of damage.

But fencer had this attribute that increased pierce dmg when not using a shield, so in a sense using a shield did reduce your damage. https://tos.guru/itos/database/attributes/112001

This attribute is gone with rebuild though, so a shield would just be a stat-stick now in the same way a dagger would.

You can still get a lot of base CON with Peltasta, and Physical/Magical DEF with the new buff Hard Shield.

Might still be viable as a defensive option, if this is what you want from you character, even with Fencer negating the shield DEF. Block being negated is a problem, but if you can toggle Offensive Rapide off in a pinch situation, might still be useful.

EDIT: and if the Block effect of High Guard is not affected, you might not be entirely without Block Rate.

What I’ve heard is that Hard Shield does nothing with Epee on, because it drops shield def to 0. But I havent tested it myself, so I cant confirm this at all.

What I’ll do is play Matador without fencer. Either pelt-barb-matador, or pelt-murm-matador just for fun. That should allow me to play Matador(which I love), without losing any defensive abilities.

From wat I can tell, Aggression doesnt exist in rebuild, so the penalty isnt that bad. It’ll just be a subweapon you dont use like a dagger.

Also, A good mata build is pelt-doppel-Mata.

don’t forget that that petalsta buff thad adds defense and mdef based ony our shield still works with epee garde. that skill can give like 300% of your shield def as bonus def and 150% of that as bonus mdef. even if your base shield def bonus is lost, so there is that… either way, both knife and shield will be stat sticks and nothing more for fencers.

What’s up with the Dragoon Helmet skill, the SP consumption on that skill is crazy. The Cassis Crista seems to have its drawbacks removed completely, I think, but I’m not sure which skills are now affected by it. This patch is a mess.

I think you can have a combination of peltasta - fencer -retrarius now and be a thank than can guard and evade, the only problem with that is than most of your offensive spells are in the fencer class, so you will lack in DPS.

I’m assuming when you say “guard” you mean block, cause i can’t imagine a situation whereby you would take damage rather than just jump out of the way of an attack.

Then I just want to point out that retiarius’s dagger guard is only usable with daggers and gives you block based on a percentage of what you have, which with a dagger you have none of & dispells when the dagger is unequipped. It’s quite the defective skill. i.e. 0 base block + 150% of base block = 0 + 0 = 0.

But rather than block, you can simply capitalize on using fencer with a shield (the shield is mainly as a stat stick & to provide the additional defence for hard shield as sertralina mentioned) with pelt + one other class to your liking for your additional offensive fillers.

I’m pretty sure the new system allows you to use dagger block while having a shield equipped. I can have a dagger in my offhand and still buff up with Hard Shield, as long as I have a shield in my secondary offhand (I get the pdef/mdef bonus, just not the extra pdef from the shield itself).

I heard that might be “fixed” soon

Dagger guard gives you the ability to block with a dagger, using the skill makes you have the same block as if you were using a shield and add a % to that base amount depending on the lvl. it’s not 0+150% it’s for example in my case 500+ aprox +150% block

1 Like

Well what do you know, you’re right. Thanks for the heads up.

I gave it a go, and leveled my dagger guard to lv1 resulting in 606 block. Then leveled it to level2 which resulted in 606 block. Is this a bug then?

I know the answer to that, is one of those stupid TOS mechanics. As the skill only increases the chance to block physical hits (never-mind the attribute), the actual increase isn’t actually shown in the character UI. What you are seeing is your base block for both physical and magical hits, but your physical chance is actually higher. It’s the same thing with Finestra and critical chance.

If it didn’t work like that, you could, at least with Finestra, use the critical chance buff by equipping a spear in your secondary weapon slot and use the auto switching mechanic to abuse and buff the critical rate of your two handed sword.