Tree of Savior Forum

PSA - Joint Penalty can still double AoE Damage

I already posted this in a comment way way back but I keep seeing people say “Joint Penalty does not multiply aoe damage” so here I am bringing this up again but now as a thread so it’ll maybe get more attention.

##Joint Penalty can double the damage of non-land deployment AOEs
or at least some of them

Here’s a video of me using Gather Corpse on linked monsters. Gather Corpse is a single-hit AoE attack

Monster HP: 11,192

Monster HP: 9,237 = it took 1955 damage
And you can also see that there’s some overlapping numbers

And here’s an image with Energy Bolt

You can also see that there are overlapping numbers. This time it should be more obvious that some damage was shared.

I also tested this scenario back then:

A, B, C, D are monsters
A, B, C, D are linked with Joint Penalty
B, C are standing close to each other such that you can hit both of them with an Energy Bolt even if they were not linked

If I cast an Energy Bolt that deals 100 damage on C:

• B and C take 200 damage (doubled)
  • A and D take 100 damage

Oh and I want to point out that hitting 3 monsters does not triple the damage; you can see this on the Gather Corpse image/video.

1 Like

Theres nothing unusual with this, joint penalty doesn’t do “double damage”
its just the damage of the ability adding with the damage from joint penalty.
(I hope this diagram is understandable)

Monsters 1 2 3 and 4 are linked,

Link only applies one instance of damage on each linked enemy

If energy bolt is cast in either 1 or 2, both will get damaged,

3 and 4 will get damage only by the link

1 is hit by “A” energy bolt and linked damage from 2 ( 2 instances of damage)
2 is hit by “A” energy bolt and linked damage from 1 ( 2 instances of damage)
3 is hit by linked damage from 1 ( 1 instance of damage )
4 is hit by linked damage from 2 ( 1 instance of damage )

Its that simple~

And of course, it doesn’t do triple damage because the link only applies one instance of damage per hit taken on every linked enemy.

1 Like

And magic missile still creates a mini black hole when you throw it into hangman’s knot.

@Arkova
Same for one of the Wugushi skills, except it’s brown for some reason

@Imagination
Yeah I just chose to use the verb “double” to simplify things, as in “it took the damage coming from the attack twice, therefore the damage taken from the attack was doubled.”

What’s unusual though is that it doesn’t work for a lot of skills, not just land deployments. It also didn’t work for Flesh Cannon and Psychic Pressure.

To be fair doubling down on flesh cannon would be crazy powerful.
On the subject at hand, I didnt know people didnt…know, that Joint still doubles the hits.

Just tested this interaction using JP + HK + Blood Bath.

Seems that link will effectively double ticking debuff damage as targets receive individual debuff tick damage + link damage. Not sure if this is the interaction that will be fixed in the upcoming patch for debuffs such as the burn from ignition.

You should check out the linker thread on reddit