Tree of Savior Forum

[Poll] If the ToS cash-shop were to become costumes/vanity only (MK2)

Sure… but I guess I’m just saying what you’ve described reminds me more of:

http://www.aeriagames.com/

than of:

http://2p.com/32550132_1/Weekly-Charts-Top-20-Most-Popular-MMOs-and-Most-Anticipated-New-MMO-In-The-West-by-JoeLW

(of course the exception in that list is Trion’s ArcheAge, but I would argue that their brand name is like a sinking ship at this point…)

(>polygon)

I’ll probably buy tokens and a costume here and there… Not much is in the cash shop.

They really should make the costume system like tera somehow
(pay to fashion)

1 Like

The only time i have spend money on cosmetics in an mmo is if had some left over currency after buying vip access.

spending alot of money for cosmetics is kinda stupid. its doesnt add to your enjoyment of the game.

the only reasons why people want a cosmetics only shop is because they dont want to spend any money, and if there are those that do spend, they shouldn’t get a benefit over the free player.

vip status makes most sense. although $20 a month is a bit high, i would pay ~$10 for a mmo that i enjoy

2 Likes

I’ve avoided posting in topics like this in the last few days, but god… I can’t agree. You sure have the right to discuss everything about the game here, so don’t see this as a rude comment, but instead as my arguments to why, in my opinion, those things shall held no value.

First, you should never put a personal opinion before the poll. Put it as comment, or at very least after all the other text in your post.

Second, the links you give. In mega thread, the first question already have this: it asks about changing magic scrolls. The two links you give are from topics that defend the changes, which is highly unfair.

Third, this poll here doesn’t talk about the difficult in surviving from cosmetic-only shops in MMOs. Some people don’t know how it works. Some people don’t know how much it costs and some people think it shall just pay for server costs, and don’t remember the developing costs. Giving one successful result does not guarantee anything. Remember ToS has a niche playerbase.

Fourth (is it written this way?), the way options are disposed often leads to wrong votes and interpretations of the whole situation. It’s better if you concise into few options here. No opinion should never be an option, and something else is a problem because a lot of people don’t bother explaining and prefer to just choose the “less worse” ready option in the poll.
Take a look at “If you had to choose one thing for imc to make a major focus for the next ~1 month of development or so what would it be?”. There are some comments that get a lot of praise, and if these options were in the poll, we would have a different result.

Fifth, if you intend to give information on the context, give complete information. You say tokens are estimated to cost around $20 and give advantages for players. That’s correct. But you use the expression “over free players”, and don’t talk about those tokens being sold in the market, at actual affordable prices.

Finally, as you admit, we don’t have enough information yet. We don’t know the exact shop items and their prices. We don’t know what they will implement in the next months.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Ok go open a f2p ro privet server and sell venity items for 1$ fir item. See if you even get what you need to run a orivet server ir ro.
Poe was a game lots of people waited for abd it was in no development hell (tos is in development from 2010 as long as i know).
Cenitys problem is its a one time pay.even if they give you 10 items a day you may not like hiw thay look and not buy them. Then what imc get?

That is subjective. Personally fashion > everything else.

What? I want both cosmetics and items that give me benefits.

Real talk they should sell premium hats for 5-7$, there’s not enough hats in the game.

1 Like

Good point, I’ve moved it to my second post. Thank you for pointing out my bias.

I will work on adding an opposing viewpoint as well. If you’d like to suggest a post to combat any bias I have that would be ideal.

It’s not clear to me why ToS has a niche* playerbase.

Regarding development costs, while I get what you’re saying, we should also note that the steam DLC pre-sales have the $49.99 founder pack selling quite well and I would be surprised if imc don’t make quite a bit of income. Additionally, they’ve already had their Korean launch so we should not discount revenue from that if we’re going to be thorough in our accounting. What I find odd though is that tokens are set to cost $20, I’ve seen many mmos with higher production values than ToS that don’t have such a high ‘subscription’ I’m curious as to your thoughts on the gap.

I’ve gone ahead and added information to fix this.

Well, to be honest these polls are my way of trying to prod imc to have better communication with their playerbase. Yes they did hold a poll after the 3 month founder fiasco… but they really shouldn’t be trying to get community feedback only when the house is burning. So yes, your criticisms are noted, but you should be asking why doesn’t imc make these polls then? Presumably they should be developing a product with their customers in mind?

EDIT: I think even this poll has value, but perhaps maybe not in the way you might think. For example it shows likely price points which forum goers would be willing to spend on vanity items. This would be useful for calibrating iToS shop costs for costumes and the like.

EDIT: Here’s an example of a decent feedback system where the devs offer two overarching development visions that the playerbase votes on:

EDIT: Thank You for your feedback

EDIT: Everything I do, every idea I put out there, I do so because I believe it will truly be better for the longevity, fairness, and appeal of this game.

1 Like

Actually I think there should be 2 more poll options:

1. I will buy tokens every month and occasionally buy vanity items

2. I will occasionally buy vanity items and not buy tokens

Your current options make purchasing vanity items a monthly commitment. I think people in general tend to be more fickle and only make purchases when some new vanity catches their eye or if they just feel like splurging a bit at that point in time.

Maybe you could make your options for purchases over a range instead to make things easier. After all, having too many segments makes any potential planning more difficult . Something like $0-$10 range per option might be more viable.

1 Like

Good points, but that just means that the results shown are a conservative measure (that is to say, whatever results the polls show, actual revenue would be higher, additionally there is no good way to quantify ‘occasionally’ so even having it as an option isn’t super helpful/informative).

My main goal for this poll was to get a lower bound estimate for how much imc could earn every month if they made their cash-shop vanity/costume only.

some people grow up, some not. Do you have any constructive idea to say?

What you say is true, it doesn’t really provide any helpful data. But honestly though I do think a fair number of players fall into the “occasionally” option. These “occasional” players that select one of the monthly commitment options will end up bloating profit projections if IMC decides to base anything off this poll.

I apologize for not being able to provide any solution but I wanted to make the issue known either way.

Feedback is always welcome! Thanks for your input.

EDIT: I don’t know how “occasional” players might respond. As you say, some of them might select the monthly commitment options, but in my mind they might not select anything or “other” too.

EDIT: Regarding the $0-10 range it means that people who say $1 are weighted equally as people who say $10, which is equivalent anyways to ~$5 since it’s the average.

I don’t pay unless they sell a freaking kawaii thing.:dizzy_face:

2 Likes

This “developers need to eat too” mentality is what’s killing the industry.

If they want to eat they should put out a product that doesn’t rely on predatory practices to the consumer to make money. Making games borderline pay2win to force people to spend is such a stupid concept and yet so many people still feel compelled to pay for a game like that.

If you stop being worried about their wallet and instead act as a rational customer that doesn’t waste his money on obvious cash grabs then they will eventually be forced to come up with a fair monetization system for the customer.

2 Likes

I like how Team Fortress 2 does things. Hats on hats and funny dancing taunts. Maybe IMC can learn from the model that made TF2.

constructive? i can’t even bring myself to try.

you’re part of the community, some of your comment are genuinely great such as about homonculus and etc, man how i want homonculus but. you’re just! whatever. enjoy your forum trolling.

Nop, it’s not stupid, if people enjoy then why not have? lol

exactly…kinda hard to make a proper poll about this - probably 99% of the votes cant be taken serious - cause? we dont know how most future fashions look like…nobody is like “i WILL pay 25$ on fashions this month no matter what happens” ive never met a guy who payed 25 Bucks constantly on fashion each month - it varies on what kind of fashion is being included monthly - if theres “monthly fashions worth 25$” i even doubt that - as another guy mentioned its limited for a game like ToS - look at ragnarok and how many headgears they had in shop

somebody talked about tera - well ya 200$ to get a new ride x.x “sounds good” - youve seen maybe 3-4 of these mounts on each server - or invest a couple $ to gamble for one - 0,00001% chance per try to get it…“sounds good” people forget that such packs included costly and rare in game items as well - reason enough for a new “p2w” thread from people who claim everything in shop is p2w

2 Likes

I got you
no need for long explain, we’re all free to say whatever lol.

i will literally pay $100 if i could buy every cute thing in the shop. if all of its ugly fashion like in some games, i will pay nothing. why can’t they just have cute stuff in the cash shop?