Tree of Savior Forum

Poll: Forum main page

For more lively discussions to take place in the Forum, which would you want as the Forum’s main page?

• Category List
  • Latest Topics
  • Latest Topics, excluding posts from Off-Topic

0 voters

7 Likes

Can we just have an option to choose between both Category and Latest Topic? Or is that too difficult at the moment?

2 Likes

Latest w/out off-topic sounds really nice. I don’t think discourse allows user created default options for the forum so the polls a good idea.

I think the most useful at the moment is the latest page. But for new users and perhaps for when the forum becomes a lot more active, the category page may become more useful. I agree that an option for choosing which page is your default is probably the ideal solution. You guys are all about player freedom right? :wink:
give the freedom for people to choose their own default.

1 Like

what is the point of vote “Latest Topics, excluding posts from Off-Topic” ? you gonna kill the off-topic because no one gonna post there after that.
So my vote is for " Latest Topics" :thumbsup:

Everytime I click forum, I just click latest topics anyways. So changing it to latest will save me one click!

Or just let us pick from our preferences.

Thanks for the poll, @STAFF_Marikim, it is very appreciated that the Forum Admins read our suggestions.

Category List doesn’t make sense for now, there aren’t enough people on this forum yet, so there is no real need to categorize the posts. Also we can’t see clearly what post is new. With only few posts per hour on this forum, it is important to distinguish where people are posting.

1 Like

I think the Home Page need more pictures and video and information such as classes and circle.
Right now, if I’m new to the game, I’ll have no idea about the game at all. :confused:

As for Forum main page, I think it’s fine atm.

you mean advertising right? XD

well, the game is not out yet and still in beta test… so i think so too its fine atm… but what about later? @_@

1 Like

I’m gonna vote for Categories because it will help the new users to understand the forum’s basics.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t think is a good idea having a forum with latest post. When the game comes out, there will be a lot of guild recruitment post, trades, etc. If you want check the latest, you already have a button on forum home page which you can add to bookmarks.

Honestly in the end, categories would be the smarter choice for an international community, because most of the international community is used to traditional forums as opposed to bbs boards in Korea.

However, latest view is very intuitive and something I think the West should adapt to.

Why?

People only view categories when they want to focus in one or two. People who prefer latest view means they want to see everything regardless of category.

It makes sense to have the latter as the preferred option, since people that want to view category will naturally have more clicks to deal with if they want to focus in on one or two categories. They’ll also be clicking the categories button to constantly switch between categories if they plan on viewing multiple categories, or they’ll never leave the one category they put most of their attention to. This is opposed to someone who uses the latest feed and never really has a reason to look at categorical view.

But really, we just need a Discourse plugin to allow users to set their preferred option.

Reading through my entire post also makes me think it’s pretty silly having a serious discussion on which view we should see xD

2 Likes

Yer, its not really important. They could just put a setting in preferences called. “Set home page” <_>

In regards to some people liking to use the latest page only. I bet that becomes a less attractive option when the forum picks up and you get tons of pages in that view overnight. In a really busy forum, that view will lose tons of recent posts in the massive scroll down XD

I agree that for now “Latest topics” is more interesting, but when the forum has more users “Catergory List” will be better.

At first we got the “Latest” as default and there was some people complaining about it so IMC changed it to “Categories” as default. :sweat:
But I guess now most people already miss the “Latest” / Redditsh style. Uhmm, for me I would like to check everything posted/hot topics so… “Latest” it is. :+1:

I’m just gonna put my post here because only less people seemed to be looking at this particular topic:

Or is this really hard to implement atm?

Discourse doesn’t support it naturally.

Admins are the only ones that can setup the default view.

However a plugin may be able to do the job, doesn’t seem like any are available, but maybe someone can look into it.

I doubt that there is actually a plugin out there that is capable on doing a custom feature like this one. I mean, I only knew Disclosure (LOL srsly me? I meant Discourse) from this website. Before, I haven’t got any clue about this forum’s package.

So, if that is the case, then I would choose the category view since latest topics view seemed to be a massive scroll parade and its appearance isn’t something that has a wow factor. The current category view is really great aesthetically and will surely bring more people to come into this forums. Just my two cents though.

I think a category list, where the latest topic within each category would best cater to everyone. It would allow the players to look at the category which they are most interested in and just look at the latest stuff there.

Fact is some categories will be more popular than others. If you prefer the off topic or general discussion pages, then you are in luck, because they will most likely be the most updated sections of the forum. Followed by probably community. However if you just want to look out for guild recruitments, feedback/ideas, updates by the staff and so on. Then the latest updates page will probably have nothing to show for most of the time, and you will just have to filter through the category lists.

I also feel that a latest updates as the main page will make the forum too convoluted and jumbled, it offers less structure and makes it harder to dive through the forum quickly as you need to read the title of each new topic because your not sure if the contents even applies to your interests.

Those are just my thoughts~

1 Like

I think we need to seperate our view from being like reddit.

Fact is the game isn’t out yet and there’s alot of speculation on the game. Even I, a person who really doesn’t focus on much of the forum side of games have found myself clicking on almost all the latest topics. However this is not reddit, because eventually we will have a game to deal with.

Once the game is out, I think people will be spending a lot less time reading everything and anything that’s on the forums. Especially where there is no “upvote” system like reddit, and the games player base will spike. I believe a more structured approach would be smarter, not just because internationally we are more used to the system, but also because it just makes more sense. Segment the website into groups, make it the main page for easy access and don’t bombard the players with hundreds of new updates in which they would need to read through each title at-least to understand if it’s even relevant and worth reading.

Offering the choice of both is clearly the best outcome, or offering a latest updates on a “watched category” would also be awesome. However out of one or the other, I’d pick Category, not only for myself, but the community as a whole.

(sorry for double post)