Tree of Savior Forum

Paladin sanctuary

Does someone knows how it is supposed to work because the tooltip seems inaccurate or false.
If you have 1000 armor and 1000 magic defense how does it translate into “property” damage and what is the scaling?
I tried 5300 defense and 3000 magic defense but it buffs only 1100 damage, Am I missing something?

Now try with high enhancement/trans.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I was hesitating to gear up the char.
From the comments someone said physical defense buffs physical skills and magic defense magic skills for oneself.
Does it work properly for entire team? if yes, I’ll bring it as damage dealer in velcopter raid.
I only have trans 10 ausura plate chest / legs / gloves / boots.

I can’t tell you exactly how much holy property damage it deals (because I didn’t test it enough) but I can tell you the holy property atk is certainly not worth it.

The defense/mdef increase is really nice but unfortunately the need to channel the skill, along with 10 sec duration 30 sec cd, makes the skill really underwhelming.

Yes, as long as they remain inside the blue circle. The area is exactly as big as the blue circle’s effect.

The holy atk is pretty underwhelming. The def/mdef boost can be interesting given you already have pretty high defenses. Barrier: Devotion depends on the paladin’s defenses and not the person taking damage, thus, if you have insane defense/block, you take very little damage and act as a sponge to soak damage for everyone.

For Velcoffer as a Paladin, I would either make a Paladin 3 Kabba 3 or a Paladin 3 Diev 3 Miko.

Kabba 3 gives very nice support skills (Ein Sof, Healing Tree) along with the ability to block magic (hold C to boost your block by a lot). Very nice support build as you can also stick in Priest 1-2 for Ress and/or Revive/Mass Heal. With 1300+ block you get 90% physical and magical block chance (a.k.a. nearly imortal).

Diev 3 Miko is very heavily focused on Barrier: Devotion. If you stay inside Barrier while atrib is on and you have Ausrine buff, you negate damage for your whole party (as long as they stay inside). However, Velcoffer can break magic circles so Barrier might not be too reliable.

Both builds are very support oriented and fully focused on mitigating damage. Sanctuary is nice to have (as you might end up with leftover points) but it’s not the focus on neither builds. If you have a lot of money I would advise Demolition over Sanctuary and have both 1h mace and 2h mace. Use the 2h mace against enemies that can’t penetrate your insane amounts of defense / hp.

1 Like

afaik the block chance is capped at 80%, and I still got no answer about how high the magic block chance can get.
If you’re unlucky, it will be locked at half of 80%, so max 40%.
And you don’t need to hold C to reach 80% block at Velcoffer, enough CON and a Block potion is enough to achieve that (holding block is overkill, especially considering that you won’t be able to do anything else).

Best build options for Paladin are Zealot, Inquisitor and Druid, with Druid being hybrid and Zealot/Inquisitor being physically offensive.

Druid is ± a better option than Kabbalist, because you have Sterea Troph and Sanctuary to rotate for survival, while Kabbalist has high downtime on his skills (+ Ein Sof only affects 1-2 of 5 party members).
Druid also has nice transformations for extra damage boost and/or defence&HP boost + decent damage skills.

Judging from the videos of Velcoffer Nest, you don’t even need a high defence to survive, but with the current events, it’s so very easy to reach a high transcendence on armor (~ 8k of one and ~15k of the other defence value is more than possible, prior to buffs), which make Velcoffers attacks tickle you a little (if he hits at all; block&evasion are your best friends here).

I don’t see a reason why Kabbalist 3 should be required anymore if the team is decently geared (over 8k defence on both stats with buffs and at least 70k HP), it would be better to go for a more offensive approach on Paladin so you can at least deal damage,too [Nahash and the buffed Merkabah aren’t enough to convince me…].
And as transcended gear is now trade-able via Team Storage, there’s no longer a reason for someone to run around under-geared; Even if it’s a Solmiki Cloth set at T7, it’s better if the e.g. Musketeer equips it rather than dying with a badly upgraded/transcended random 350 armor.

This also applies to Sephiroth Tree afaik as it’s a ground target magic spell[can’t be Reversied,though].
You have to bait his magic circle destruction attack with Cure/Heal so you can utilize Barrier/Sterea Troph without problems.

My build actually is Cleric3 paladin 3 plague doctor 1 inquisitor 2. My downtime from skills will allow me to use sanctuary.

When I tested I was naked with only pardoner magic defense that does not apply and asked a wizard to auto attack in dungeon.
My defense is almost 14 000 defense and 14 000 magic defense, using this weapon

I plan to use level 10 green gems x 3 and invest heavily in attributes.

Even if it’s team storageable, while doing a lot of challenge (sausys room9) I notice most random players from fediman server don’t bother to use trans weapon or armor, I even saw an ■■■■■■■ 170 weapon and virtov telling me he already had my build so I should switch char…
I have 6 weapons trans 10 at least and 7 armors trans 10.

So how much increase with that 14k def? I didn’t get the chance to explore more on sanctuary post armor upgrade.

Well,if people do multiple challenges a day, some might not take the time to trade their equipment.

And yes, non-upgraded, non-transcended equipment is still sadly the norm;
Not everyone takes the time and investment for even one single set of armor to be useful for endgame contents. In fact, that still seems to be the absolute minority.

This is essentially why people still die.
They don’t care or they have played too many MMORPGs where bad equipment can be supplemented by “support” Classes/skills.
This is what gave birth to the PriestC3>Kabbalist C3-meta, and what most likely caused the fall of Kabbalist with the latest balance patch that resulted in a heavier focus on Heal&support rather than debuffing.

Just look at all those Velcoffer parties showing off on the Korean servers with members that don’t even have 6k defence with buffs. This is just horrible.
I wouldn’t want to wreck my build to become able to resurrect someone that could’ve survived with proper investment.

Cleric C3+ Paladin should be more than enough to “help” your teammates in endgame content.
Any more than that will be pampering unhealthy attitudes on the team while providing a bad experience for yourself if it significantly weakens/breaks your character.

1 Like

I’m waiting to reach 360 1st and make new tests to see the “scaling”.
My 1st test was a fail because I was naked + emenguard shield trans 10 and pardoner defense magic so no wonder the result and tooltips were confusing.

It’s true “the” majority of players play low or 0 attributes chars (with shameful gear) and are trying hard to leech parties or their guildmates.
While I understand priest 3 because of 5 soul crystals limits, kabbalist 3 should not be meta or mandatory there unless you have to carry 4 glasscanon @ 26 000hp or 35 000.
I get it that lot of paladins play support and even sponge hp (barrier + angel guardian), but that was my choice to go the dps route.
I took cleric 3 as filler because priest 2 after rework makes no sense in my build and the low level ranks have nothing good to help my paladin physical dps + inquisitor.

I cannot test with every class and skill obviously, but sanctuary seems to work properly with 1 ratio from defense / magic defense ( targets have defense and magic defense of course).
I tested with my breaking wheel, it went from 7000 to 21 000 uncrit.

I was in a lot of different groups to test random builds, I performed rather well with my paladin gimmick finally!

Now I can say for sure Velcopter phase1 sanctuary adds flat damage that ignores more or less 90% of any defense of the boss for my teamates.
At the end I was the only one alive for minutes.
I made the combo:

• (10% bonus damage judgement inquisitor2) / conviction that is a nice debuff damage / incinerate / cure / sp pots (glass moles)n / breaking wheel / sanctuary under barrier + safety zone + gazing golem proc + resist elements. In the phase3, I could deal almost 100 000 damage per sec all piled up ignoring 90% of the boss defense for myself.

My build is gimmick but sanctuary channeled for 10seconds is used as support when my skills are on cd.
If I was monk1 for dps instead of plague doctor1 I would be dead a lot of times actually.

1 Like

Hey! I think I’m leveling up the same build as yours! I’m going cleric3>pala3>pd>inqui2, can you share stats/skills/equip with me? I’m lv 260 but I still have invested 0 stat points because I don’t know what to do, I was thinking full con because I had in mind to pvp with this build but I also had hopes to do well in pve and here you are!

I skipped resist elements, did it prove useful? this would be my skill distribution https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#4111bbbegg.1f2f345a61.1e8a9a6575.2135415365.7a41678a1191 (1 point in paladin since I don’t know if restoration is actually useful)

as for equips I have a +11 primus cloth set with con/spr that I use for my thauma and that I plan to bring to T6 before the end of the events (mainly because I can’t decide on a single character and transing weapons too much is detrimental since I switch a lot).

for weapon I was planning to use 2h mace + 1h&shield and to swap when I needed to use sanctuary

I’m a PD 2 -> Inqui 1 myself, I prefer this setup over PD 1 -> Inqui 2 as you can have lv 10 Healing Factor (really good coupled with high CON paladin) and Pandemic attribute + Black Death. Sanctuary works better with this build since you can poison / incinerate mobs and use sanctuary to boost your DoTs (however do note sanctuary is still quite lackluster).

I can’t really see much advantage to Inqui 2 aside from pvp.

Resist Elements is often overlooked but it’s actually among the best defensive buffs in the game. The reason for that is because it provides 40% damage reduction to most elemental dmg (except holy and dark) which is applied before your physical/magical defense. Many mobs have elemental dmg, the ones that deal physical attacks often have an element associated with them (thus it’s reduced by Resist Elements). And let’s not forget the nullification chance the buff provides, which is about as good as Murmillo’s Cassis Crista magic nullification.

If you’re looking to stack defenses, Resist Elements is a must.

As healing skills, I’m not exactly sure how the healing rebalance will affect us clerics, so Guardian Saint, Restoration, Healing Factor, and other healing skills might change a lot on how useful they are.

I can’t tell you much about the rest of the skills because I’m not into pvp myself. I can tell you, however, that Smite is still pretty weak. I have mine lv 15 with lv 100 attribute and it’s a really sad skill against non demon/mutant mobs. Against those, it deals about as much damage as God Smash, but in a terrible area if used without wheel.

1 Like

@MrFioz

I agree with @mrshadowccg. Imo @lunettesrouges build is too specific to certain area or ‘gimmick’ as he said. While pd2-inqui can function well in wider area and probably on par, if not better for velcoffer.

1 Like

@MrFioz 's build is focused in pvp, however, therefore Inqui 2 is a very reasonable choice.

@lunettesrouges the reason I dislike Sanctuary so much is because other classes can achieve just as much or even more defense penetrating damage by using other buffs. Sanctuary is not reliable at all, it has a huge cooldown compared to duration, you need to stand still not doing anything else, can get knocked down if gazing golem did not trigger, allies need to stay in circle, etc.

Meanwhile, skills like Transmit Pranah are super effective at piercing enemy defenses because of the additional psychokinesis damage (that scales considerably with your magic atk) and can be easily achieved 100% uptime with one circle of diev or using Melstis from krivis 3. Blessing/Sacra/Last Rites with a full SPR build can also be a huge difference in penetrating damage as it gives 30% more bonus than pardoners in town (and you guarantee yours will be a high SPR one too).

well as someone who have answered some question of the use of sanctuary in val raid in other treads and who believed it was possible to do so, i happy that it really worked and where i do believe your equips are fair above the standard equip of a normal high end players as the comments you have wrote before i still believe that a good pally could still pull this off with a little worse grade of equips than you as well, so i happy about this but what i do not like on pala is the need to use shield or two handed mace for the new skills and a lot of other minor things , this really skills a little of paladin, because after all the tool kit from pala is a little good now but there is simple too many problems to operate with it as well and thus it turn it in a “gimmick” build :frowning: , like the need to change weapons if you want to do dps too, and so on, there is a lot of problems for pally full tank today and because of this having pally tank like this being labelled as gimmick build still makes me sad, since the day i started playing tos i always had many chars but the ones i consider my main ones always have being chars with the focus on tanking and even before pala received the rework i already had playing with it as main with the hope of using it as tanker, but still is too far to have pally being worked as good tanker in tos in my opinion, even more now with recent changes of pelta/rodelero, I know is too late to ask for another rework of pala but if i could, i would ask for something like a overall tanks ability rework of pala,

a few things i would change to help pally tanker better with sanctuary

like removing/modifying/adding c3 attribute for sanctuary and resist elements for example : put resist elements on C block skill from pally , similar as how pelta gain block+defense when using C, pala would gain effects = as resist element, like reduction of elemental damage this would not make it too much OP since as right now resist elements have very high cd and duration so right now is “use and forget” about it, where with the new system would allows the player to decide when to use C and not, thus making it a harder gameplay and more gratifying to train with it, like knowing when the boss is going to do a big move so you would use C and so on, this would create a mini barrier around the pally when he use C thus allowing the part to gain the elemental reduction as well, thus also transforming the gameplay of pala +party with something more dynamic and difficult (at last for me this type of difficult does not mean bad/worse), this change of course could also comes as c3 attribute only and thus transforming the skill itself!, where a c3 two handed mace nor tanker pally could not buy the attribute and thus use the current elemental resist and have the downtime of the buff, the tanker pally with shield would buy the attribute and have it always on but by using C “Only”
with sanctuary something similar as shield push from rodelero as well, where it allowed the pally to move and push+tank enemies when using sanctuary and thus creating a defensive line/zone but a moving one, the pally would not be able to atk with normal skills but would still be able to be a tanker pusher in GVG for example and WBS by pushing ahead and giving the defensive bonus for 10 sec for the guild-party as well.
I believe that both methods above would not only boost pala’s gameplay and remove it from the gimmick category as it would allow pally to be more effective as tank in every content but would also boost the overall enjoyable of the class in my opinion and making it more unique as the tank that he is, with his own role as “magic” tank and most important would still keep the concept of “AOE” tanker, because the new sanctuary/C+ resist elements would function similar as barrier, supporting each other, creating their own “safe zones” in the map, where the players needed to coordinates with the pally to survive and tanker and with the new benefits in numbers being the same as today, it’s not OP, since it also have benefits like a strategy play with C and push, but it also have a harder time making coordination with party members, and it would not be anymore press the button and wait, everyone would need to move and work together to gain everything or lose everything and die. ^^
I would of course also remove the restriction of 2 handed mace 1handed mace+shield for pally skills and add something similar as dragon; where there is different effects when using 2 handed pike or one handed spear, like increase of critical rate-damage in demolition with 2 handed mace, and normal demolition for 1 handed mace for example, and for sanctuary, as i stated before the ability the skills being similar as the rodelero one with shield, being able to block+push enemies, and with 2 handed mace only gain the damage effect+defense for example.

1 Like

I might consider going pd2>inqui after your explanation, doesn’t seem bad at all, even in pvp what does inqui2 doesn’t bring THAT much, mostly I didn’t know what to pick and wanted to get ready for inqui3 but since there is the rank down feature I could just pick pd2 as rank9 to be sure, I’ll think about it

what should my skills be like for pd2? there are so many good stuff I have no idea how to use all the points, is disenchant 5 op in pvp?

In Velcopter fight you take so much random damage, mainly from aura that the gazing golem will proc with a huge uptime, so I have no issues to “never” get interrupted.
This build is not the best, but I was waiting for inquisitor 3 on a non chaplain krivis one meta.
I agree with all that have been said anyways.
I suppose that if some curious players would go the same route as me it would be a lot more frustrating than the old icewall 15/15 psyko.
But in this fight especially, sadly, my fencer3shinobi with solmiki rapier trans10 cannot outdps my paladin3inquisitor build because of the boss’insane reduction damage.

I waited our trans patch so I could trans 10 the entire plate raid (330 nobreer) on top of trans 10 shield.
I think masinios mace+16 can be superior to my abdochar+26, especially for this fight.
There is a magical version that is FAR SUPERIOR than this one, I could not test it yet, it’s Cleric1krivis3paladin3taoist2, you cast in advance creeping death charmx3 after divine stigma and aukuras fire damage, storm calling+ attributes (obviously) + zaibas x2 and then breaking wheel/ sp potion (chapparition) / melstis/ sanctuary.
It “would” buff the entire group 11 000+ magic damage and for yourself guaranteed too while ignoring the boss defenses, but you would need full cloth raid trans 10 to make it work.
I have yet to reach it or don’t know it if will work as “properly” as my current build.