Tree of Savior Forum

Paladin Build + My thoughts on Pally

Hi, my first character is a paladin and I’ve learned a few things from trial by fire that I’d like to share with the community. First off, if your just starting Tree of Savior and said “hey paladin looks awesome!” you aren’t wrong at all, but I recommend you to go look at this thread I’ll link because the route I took was STR based and there is a INT based option too. The link will just go over some basics that you may find helpful. I will also say that I am not max level, I’m currently sitting in Paladin C1.

The Question

So, what is a Paladin? In my journey down the rabbit hole I’ve found the most accurate answer to this question is a DPS/Healer hybrid. You will not DPS like a Barbarian or Ranger but you can push some very good AoE DPS with slightly less single target DPS. You won’t be as traditional a support as a priest would be through heals/buffs but you will have stronger base heals with some very strong buffs as well.

The Build

You know what a Paladin is now and you’re practically jumping out of your seat with anticipation right? Can you be the hero we all need? Probably, maybe, idk but I’ll give you some baseline skill/stats to keep you close to a weekend hero at least.

Reasoning for C3 pally

Paladin is one of those all or nothing classes. One does not simply walk into being pally, you need to invest time into the class and go C3. Oh why? Yea I guess I’ll tell you. Conviction is OP. lvl 5 Conviction with divine might is -120 resistance to each element. You will strive to have 4 pieces of elemental gear (different elements) so that an extra 480 dmg on every attack during the debuff duration.

Stats

At first I went all out STR but It fell off really quick early game. Now I’m doing a mix of STR/DEX/CON. I’m aiming for around 60 CON but you can vary it lower or higher. Between STR/DEX I’m doing a 2:1 Ratio favoring STR. I’m tempted to do a 1:1 ratio because DEX scales with a good weapon amazingly. Here’s the explanation:

Str gives +1 min atk, +1 max atk, +1 crit atk and +5 weight per point. For every additional class rank, you receive a bonus of 10% STR. THIS MAKES STR BETTER LATE GAME IMO. IT SCALES BETTER

Dex gives +1 Accuracy, +1 crit chance and +1 evasion per point.

If I have a weapon with 100 min attack you would need 100 str to double that weapons min attack. Although if you crit it does 1.5x the dmg +/- 5%. The crit takes in account for your total dmg which is your str + weapon attack then X 1.5. So it seems that a healthy mix of STR/DEX will come out ahead on average as long as you have a good weapon. Here is a example video of a paladin with STR/DEX mix Crits with Smite. He does have more DEX than STR but it will hurt him more later on because of the 10% str gain every class rank.

GEAR

Any of this gear is good to get, your aiming for 4x elements by Paladin C3. AoE ratio, STR, DEX and crit dmg are your friend as well.

• Rokas Leather armor (Lvl 40) for DEX
  • eklectus necklace for lightning property attack (not worth getting imo)
  • 115 dungeon shield for ice property attack or
  • arde dagger for fire property attack (better option)
  • valia mace (level 115) for + 50 holy property attack (not worth it imo)

Updated Equipment
So, after leveling my way through paladin with this build I think its better to focus on AoE ratio + Crit dmg to allow better dps with smite and auto attacks. At lvl 90 I was doing 4-5k crits on mobs my level with smite so capitalizing on this seems more than viable. Elemental Dmg will still be something to strive for as well but it’s more of a big deal when you hit paladin C3. Here’s some equipment that I think to be worth getting. (Cafrisun set isnt worth imo and Valia Mace gives holy atk which to my knowledge Conviction doesnt amplify holy dmg)

• Lvl 40 Rokas Leather armor - Great Dex armor and obtained via questing
  • Lvl 75 Golden Falchion - Crit Dmg
  • Lvl 75 Gladiator Band - Str, Crit dmg & AoE Ratio (Awesome)
  • Lvl 75 Strength Pendant - Physical Atk + Crit dmg
  • Lvl 75 Soul Chaser Gloves - Min atk + Crit Dmg
  • Lvl 75 Arde Dagger - Fire Attack + Dmg
  • Lvl 120 Velniup (sword) - Crit Dmg + 3 AoE ratio + hp recovery
  • Lvl 170 Roxona Cloth Gloves - Lightning Atk + Physical Atk
  • lvl 170 Venom (dagger) - Poison atk + Con + Better dps than Arde Dagger

By Level 75 make sure to have a SWORD as your weapon. I recommend the Golden Falchion at that level for crit dmg. The reason you want a sword as a weapon is because Carve will do Pierce dmg, Sword will do Slash dmg, Heal does magic dmg and Smite skill will do Blunt dmg which will give you the option to get +50% dmg on any enemy by using the different types of attack. Here’s a link to the dmg type charts.

http://wiki.tosbase.com/wiki/Damage_Type

Step by Step with Ranks

Cleric C1:

• Heal 5 - Support/AoE DPS (DOES NOT HIT FLYING MOBS) Has 2 overheats (can use 2 times before CD)

• Cure 1 – cure lvl 1 status + “some” DPS (DOES NOT HIT FLYING MOBS)

• Safety Zone 5 – It makes you invun from so many attacks. You can get more cure levels over maxing this because it gets a good attribute in Cleric C2 but you will stop using cure later. I opted for short term pain, long term gain.

• Deprotect zone 3 – It’s decent for bossing. Gets better when using a sword. Need lvl 3 for an attribute.

Cleric C2:

• Heal 10 – This will help you support and DPS. It’s quite nice, the bee’s knee’s if you will. Which you will.

• Divine Might 5 - +1 level to skills for 5 skill uses. Its great with anything, a party buff and works well with statues for yourself in your next Rank. Ex. Use DM before you use lvl 10 heal. Now you have lvl 11 heal for 5 casts.

• Safety Zone 10 – More invun. It’s just better than other options.

• Fade 1 – De-aggro’s a party or just yourself if you’re alone. It’s a 1 point for crazy utility.

Dievbirdy C1:

you shed those weak cleric clothes for some overalls. Everyone loves overalls. A lot of people don’t understand this Class. It’s VERY similar to Ragnarok Onlines Bard/dancer classes. If you haven’t played RO then it plays a lot more smoothly then you’d think. Statues Give AoE buffs and take about 1-1.5 sec to carve which is on par with cast time of other classes spells. It’s not slow.

• Carve 5 - Get at least 1 point first and up it as you need more dps till it’s 5. It’s strong single target burst skill with 3 overheats (can use 3 times before CD) that SCALES OFF STR. It will do a lot of dmg but costs a lot of mana.

• Goddess Zemyna 4 – I honestly think the sp reduction is weak, I simply don’t see a huge difference when using it. Although, It’s reduced sp recovery time has synergy with your paladin skill restoration’s attribute.

• Goddess Laima 5 – 20% CD reduction in a game that is skill based for dps 80+% of the time? Yes please. You cut down CD’s by 1/5 for your party which REALLY helps wizards.

• Carve Vakarine 1 – it’s utility is worth 1 point. Being able to tele without a 500 silver scrolls or a “Cash shop” scroll is quite nice when you need to go in a middle of an area. With divine might on before use you can tele 2 people.

NOTE: Use divine might before your carvings. Lvl 4 + 1 DM of Zemyna and lvl 5 + 1 DM of Laima is 100% uptime on your Statues.

Paladin C1: You made it. Road gets easier from here.

• Smite 5 - Main AoE DPS skill and it also does Blunt dmg which is nice because you should be using a sword by now.

• Restoration 4 – The Regen it gives is quite nice but the sp regen you get with the Attribute is great and has synergy with your Goddess Zemyna statue.

• Resist elements 1 – You’re getting this later but it’s worth the value point now.

(Save 5 points for smite)

Paladin C2:

• Smite 10 – The 5 points you saved before, drop them here right away to boost your AoE DPS

(Save 15 points…I know really boring but next circle you get a lot and will need a lot)

Paladin C3: AKA the Holy Grail

• Smite 15 – 5/15 of the points you saved go here.

• Barrier 5 – 5/15 of the points you saved go here. You’re now a zoning beast btw.

• Conviction 5 – 5/15 of the points you saved go here.

(You got all your saved points spent and got all your main skill for paladin)

• Resist Elements 15 – you spend 14 points here maxing it for a great party defense buff.

• Restoration 5 - You got the extra point so i figure it’s best spent here.

Plague Doctor: This is basically theory craft for myself. Change what you will.

Things worth Noting

1. Dungeons random party finder gives more exp than entering with a party yourself. You can easily mass level up with dungeons so do them with the random dungeon finder. Here’s an example of someone leveling quick with a dungeon run ( I have no affiliation with this person, purely using it as educational tool)
  1. I had a really hard time leveling between Diev to Paladin C1 because of lack of reliable AoE dmg. You just need to power through it. Royal Mausoleum was a good place to level though because of mob density.

2. Level Exp resets happen at level 45>46 , 85>86, 136>137, 186>187, etc. Try to use exp scrolls to level through those levels because it’s the highest exp table and grinding will take a while. Also consider using exp scrolls if you need to level up to become 5 levels lower than where you are training. Always train somewhere that is +/- 5 levels to you, it’s better for exp.

3. DO ALL QUESTS, EVEN SIDE QUESTS. EXP SCROLLS ARE OP but don’t use them right when you get them.

Conclusion

I hope this little overview/guide helps some player with their paladin choices. If you have any feedback please leave it below in the comments. Also like I said at the start of the guide, I’m only Paladin C1 atm so I’m still going. Take what I said as a guideline and not an absolute, doing something different will add you’re flavor to your build because there really isn’t a best build. Above all have fun.

Thank you to web_nervepress for the Paladin compendium article that really helped me lay the ground work for making my paladin.

7 Likes

So TU level 1 still hit 4 mob?
I thought they nerf to
: The skill now applies to [Skill LVL * 1]Targets, From [3 + SkillLVL * 1]Targets

Good catch, I haven’t put a point into Turn undead yet and i assumed it haden’t changed since I last looked at it. Alot of the online resources don’t show it but you are correct. Level 2 of this skill is basically useless now, change the 2 points into something else, I’ll most likely drop them into restoration. I’ll edit the build now.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Nice post, lucky this is the build I’m going. Its good reassurance that it should work. Only thing is i was going for 5 deprotect over having cure.

You can always dual wield with a offhand dagger and can attack with it separately from your main attack but it does still boost your auto attacks with my main weapon.

1 Like

Yea you can easily do that. I took cure lvl 1 because I wanted to test it and its nice to cure weak curses. Hope you have fun leveling.

Thanks for sharing all of that. I wonder how’s the healing factor? Are you able to main heal in dungeon?

haven’t gotten to PD yet so idk about healing factor yet but I know up to my current level I can support. Lvl 10 heal is quite strong but you need to know when to pop it because after 2 casts your on CD.

I like the build.

Here’s what I’m working on

I only hit the first circle of paladin so far. I’m going for more dps than support, so no cleric C2.

Im trying to do even STR / INT and enough con to keep me alive. With divine stigma and items/gems that increase crit rate its working pretty well, especially now that i have smite.

correcting to 20% more exp

Thanks for actual number, It was more of “joke” and I meant it as “you will gain alot of exp”. I will change it to represent that your get a % exp buff and a video of someone leveling a bunch from it. Can you link your source on the 20%?

That’s the same build I’m going for, but man I so badly want blessing and sacrament it makes life so much easier… but I feel absolutely useless in parties because I can’t heal enough when I use my priest.

Hows this build going? I assume rank 7 Pd is still the way to go?

Right now at r7, if you want support, PD is currently OP support, to the point that we’re expecting nerfs (but it’s r7, let it be OP >.< )

You gone str pally? hows pally 3 as str? i assume conviction with smite hurts?

Why not Priest? I haven’t played a Cleric class yet, but by the looks of it Aspersio and Blessing looks interesting for this build.

What I am missing?

If you replace Cleric2/Diev with Priest2, you won’t have enough healing. Your big healing revolves around the double heal tiles. You can revive and sacrament, but you can buy Sacrament scrolls and rather get your team healed well than sacrificing it for Revive as a Pally3
If you replace Diev with Priest1, you are only doing it for blessing (and maybe res). Rather than those that aren’t as important late game (and most likely if you have a party, there’ll be a Priest with them), Laima will add more. Plus Carve will be nice as a secondary skill after Smite.

Aspersio is just… Only get it when you’re a Chaplain.

Thank you for the answer, it makes sense. As I said, I’m completely clueless to cleric classes. I’m interested on making a melee character and Paladin looked interesting.

It definitely looks interesting, two of the main melee forms of cleric other than Monk.