Tree of Savior Forum

Objective Disadvantages of Swordsman

Maybe I’ll record it happening and put it in the OP as an example.

@Queue

speaking of pvp, you lknow IMC’s old game GE, there are no classes but there are many different weapon stances, the expert tier melee stances have skills that can ignore block and evasion. what if they implement the same on circle 3 skills. since circle 3 can be somewhat qualified as ‘expert’.

@staff_john @hkkim

I was thinking they should just introduce a mechanic unique to us. Like every hit whether from skill or auto attack should reduce CD of all your skills by 0.1~0.2 sec like some sort of rage system. We can have better rotations and overall DPS plus, that would save them balancing each class CDs over and over again.

Specific classes’ wise, though, I think dragoon really needs a buff tbh. They need to add at 1 overheat on their skills and shorten some of the animations.

Corsair needs DWA rework and needs specific pistol weapon unique to them to maximize damage on their pistol shot.

lol, IMC be like, ok we heard you, swordman is weak, let’s buff archer and wizard

I wouldnt think IMC designed swordsmen to be weak at end game that is why the placed alot of skills with disadvantages for them and only them. but in ToS right now they suck at the current endgame, which is the opposite of their expectations mostlikely. The devs maybe, like me, are still stuck in a GE mindset where melee classes will wreck other classes in PvP, when the mechanics of ToS is already far different and thus swordies currently suck.

but hey rapiers always looks classy.

I’d give you that swordman looks are ok.

I can’t imagine how they would think swordman is even remotely ok-ish at the moment. Let’s break it down to PvE and PvP:

• PvE: swordman is melee, which suffers from more damage taken (and more repair), plus small hit box, and low AoE ratio. Which means swordman can’t grind as effectively as other range class. But that might be fine as we want to party up when grinding

• PvP: swordman has 0 reach besides cata. Can’t catch anyone, can’t CC anyone, while on front line. Even stat build is difficult for swordman. Swordman needs high DEX to hit archers, but with high DEX you can’t kill clerics and wizards due to no block penetration and low damage (can’t crit in PvP). Likewise, swordman need high STR to kill wizards and clerics, but then archers laugh at swordman accuracy. Overall whichever path you build, you are screwed. And that’s not even counting the anti-melee mechanic (dark theurge, sub zero shield, raise, lachrymator etc…). And where the hell is the anti-range mechanic?

After all this time, IMC just give swordman a tiny bit more damage, which doesn’t solve anything, because the core issues of swordman were never damage.

its damage too broo, dont say that or they will think dmg is fine o.O

I’m not a fan of that idea, it would limit builds as a circle 3 would almost be necessary for the meta it would create.

This is a cool idea, but I’d really want to see it given to a new circle as a skill.

This could very well be the case. I don’t think IMC is incompetent, (not that you said they were,) it’s just more of a situation where they’re rolling out updates slowly that buff Swordsmen, I really believe they will eventually balance them, they should come faster, but they are on their way.

I fully agree, that’s what I tried to emphasis in my OP. My post isn’t just about generally weak Swordsmen DPS, it’s also about the other factors that go into putting Swordsmen in the position they are in. Many of the factors in my list are ones that other MMO’s suffer from, (I’m looking at you RIFT and Maplestory.)

Swordman actually has enough damage to kill mobs or people in 1 rotation though. Not as easy as other classes, but enough to grind or PvP. The problem is that it’s way too hard to unload the rotation on targets

Swordsman really need to be able to move while using/charging skills. Every single one.

Just imagine being able to move around while you charge Cartar Stroke… wouldn’t that be amazing? X3

Actually, instead of freezing in place when a move is executing, allow Swordsman to move even while a skill is executing to move the hitboxes and possibly extend their range or change their position.

I think if these things were done, Swordsman would feel more fun to play ^o.o^

1 Like

That was suggested before (by me as well), but no answers. In fact no suggestion get an answer from IMC. That’s why we are rioting.

This would really help the situation, and certainly make it more fun to play. Slowly moving forward while using Stabbing would be pretty great.

2 Likes

Credit where credit is due, the Swordsmen auto attack is good against multiple targets, it only really struggles against single targets.

maybe we should get a ton of damage to the first enemy, and have it do less to the rest… keke.

Double the slash/pierce/strike bonus while halfing the malus, especially against ghost type armor.

#MakeSwordsmenGreatAgain.

100% damage seems a bit high, but we’d have to do the math to really figure that out, I do like halving the penalty though, it seems a bit ridiculous doing so little damage against them.

I’m surprised after all this time you still care about this game.

Haven’t logged in months. Whatever changes they make it is too late.

IMC is too incompetent to invest into this game long term.

Yeah, not only wizards/clerics have elements for that kind of stuffs, but they also have another bonus toward ghost type, just imagine the bonus from using holy attribute attacks against devil type ghost armor bosses (and there’s quite a bunch of them out there).

As for “a little bit high”, I don’t think it is the case, I will only be using archers VS swordsmen for this comparison to explain why:

-Archers are meant to be long range, allowed to DPS non stop while someone else is taking aggro, according to the build, it can either be moderate AOE damage or full single target based damage.

-As mentioned above, swordsman get knockdown a lot, in addition to other debuffs such as stun/silence totems that spawn near the boss etc… A 1 target/small hitbox full damage build based swordsman should be able to outdamage a single target full damage build archer, at least in term of skills, while an archer can still win due to being safe from long distance most of the time and only worrying about dealing damage non-stop, A swordsman should have stronger nukes, which might or might not compensate for the time lost depending on the user (dodge ability etc).

I definitely agree that Swordsmen DPS needs an increase, but let’s say they balanced all the points I made in the OP, at that point I see Swordsmen as being, balanced. The 100% increase of damage on top of all the changes seems a bit high. However, if they don’t balance all the things I pointed out, then your solution would help to balance the class, in which case I’d like to see it added.

The reason why I’m suggesting that solution is:

-It concerns all swordsman tree, so a revamp of swordsman offensive system toward armor type would fix every single swordsman class.
-Half the bad things mentioned on the OP are what makes a swordsman a…swordsman? as in, melee class in a MMORPG…they are supposed to be suffering from that kind of things, but at least have more DPS…

While archer simply doesn’t give a damn about bosses, and swordsmen being limited by armor type, while wizards & clerics have no malus with armor type BUT a bonus, in addition to elements… Yeah…

Not to mention you can’t really have very good slash+pierce+strike skills all together, you will have to pick one, as wizard have to pick elements based on their build (seriously the ghost type is just a thing that screws swordsmen over) and cannot be able to have full rotations of all element skills at the same time.