Tree of Savior Forum

New player here, little bit lost about spear classes

Hi there, like the title say it, I just begin the game, or, want to begin this to be really precise. The game still dowloading and, yeah, I really want to play.

But with all this classes and all this possible build, i’m affraid to say that i’m completly lost for this game, so I hope you can help me with all of this. First of all, my choice is to play swordman. I really like the spear’s stance so, i tried to look the différent classes and, Dragoon’s seems to be cool to pla, like the lancer. So, for my first question, the two classes combo is a good or a bad idea? One of them is really better than the other or,the two can be enjoyed and played with no soucy?

In all the cases, i absolutely don’t know how to build my character. After researches, I think 2 dex for 1 str looks good, it’s a good idea? But, after that, what about classes to take? Hoplite and Cataphract look good, but what about Peltasta? Some classes give better synergy?

So, yes, I’m lost and I hope you’ll can help me with this. The game looks really good.

Thanks for these who’ll answer me, I hope my english is understandable.

• Do you want 1h spear or 2h spear?

• Do you want PvP build, PvE build, or a mix with both?

• Do you prefer to be “defensive” or “offensive”? Or a mix of both?

• Do you prefer to focus on single target dps, or AoE dps?

2 Likes

It will depend on your weapon choice, you have 1h spear and 2h spear.

In Peltasta class, only a few skills work (mostly the buffs, taunt ones) without shield, the offensive skills don’t work without a shield.

On the other hand, Hoplite can use shield or dagger in the off-hand and still use all the skills. Also take note that is the class that enable you play with 1h spear, so until you hit it you will only use sword/mace + shield/dagger (the lowest level dagger is Lv 75, both from Dungeon 90 or HG 100).

Cata and Lancer can only use skills while mounted, so you need to pay attention to some of the other classes you pick because some skills don’t work while mounted or will dismount you when cast.

2h spears can be used when you get the attribute in Cata or Dragoon choices, unfortunately that is the only way so depending on your path, you will find yourself with 1h spear + shield/dagger for a while.

Take a note that, companions use 1 char slot, so if you get a class that require mount, you will waste a char slot for the mount.

I just wanted to give you a few insights about the game mechanics and the classes related to your post.

The main questions about what you want about @mrshadowccg already asked so I will leave the rest for the players with more experience than me.

1 Like

Long stride cant be used with dagger sadly and Synchro Thrusting need a shield…

am making a spear user too :blush: my build is …

Swordsman 2 cause hopitle is rank 3 :expressionless:

Hopitle 3 cause spear love xD

cata 1 for the 2hand and cause I have a pet mount :penguin::leaves:

shinob 1 cause reasons :relieved:

Dragoon 1 looks cool and is good pve :smile:

the best build is the one that makes you happy using it :3

1 Like

Thanks to you two for these quickly answer. I honnestly didn’t know the choices can be like that, thanks really much fort all theses information.

So, I’m more interested in the 2h spear, but, what about the survivability whit this kind of build? I mean, the classes without shield anren’t too squishy? I’m affraid to have big difficulties in dungeons at term. If I can, I would like to play in AoE and, why not a mix with defensive and offensive, if possible. For now i’m not really interested in the PVP.

Thanks for your arguments DrRm, but, i’m just feared to levelling a char’ and discovering the build is bad and useless, for finaly trash it. So, I really wanted advice for experimented players but yeah, thanks, your build looks fun ^^

It goes with the taste of the player, I generally put at least 30 CON (before the revamp on stats I used to put at least 50), most plate gear do have HP stats, headgear enchantments also you want the ones with some, but your main focus will be crit dmg/rate.

You can experiment, start with 30 CON, if around Lv 130 or 150 you feel like you are too much squish, increase it to 50, you can go with your own pace in the stats, remember you get 1 stat point per Lv + some quests give stats, I just don’t remember which ones.

You get 1 stat point in the Yellow Statues (forgot the name of the goddess lol) and also some of the main quests (Orange/Yellow Icon quests) give 3 stats point after completing their quest line.

You also get some stats and more HP and other kind of sub-stats from Collections when you complete them.

You can plan your stats/skills through here:
https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner

Best of Luck with the game.

1 Like

The build is bad, super bad. Spear typed-classes are very weak right now. They dont have any roles as other classes overshadowed spear type users, namely dopples and rodelero, fencers and murmillos. The only reason going for spears right now is for role-playing purposes.

Dragoons and Lancer are very weak in ET, PVP and general PVE. Specially with the nerf to blessings, it further weakens the Cataphract because it relies so much in blessings normal attack to do damage.

2h spear is a tradeoff from defense to more damage. Obviously a shield user will have more survivability but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re squishy.

Swordmen have the issue of having to eat up hits to deal damage. They are the “riskier” class to play with because 90% of skills need to be casted within melee range.

The game tries to offset this disadvantage by giving Swordmen more max hp. This means they are harder to take 1-hit kills but also require to heal up more hp.

In PvE however mobs hit weak enough that this extra hp doesn’t mean much (neither a squishy archer nor a sturdy swordman will take 1 hit from mobs). One thing to note is that a 2h swordman has as much damage mitigation (same defense dependant mostly on gears) as an archer or a wizard.

The problem starts when mobs start dealing (over time) more damage than your hp pots can heal. As I mentioned before, you need to sustain damage to deal damage. Taking this damage won’t necessarily set your life at risk (you can easily move out of combat and wait pot cooldown) but it can lower your dps (because you’ll have to stop fighting to heal hp) and give you the feeling you are “squishy”.

Being truly squishy, as in getting killed in 2~3 hits from a mob, will barely ever happen in PvE.

I’m explaining all this because ToS have it somewhat different from other games. Mobs rarely put your life at risk, but having a shield to mitigate damage can help (specifically swordmen) reduce mob damage to a point where your pots can heal you quickly enough (thus you don’t need to retreat from battle to heal up).

If you have a healer, your survivability doesn’t matter much as long as you have decent gears. 2h or 1h survivability won’t make much difference.

If we are talking about PvP, however, having higher hp and a shield does matter a lot. I’d argue the 2h spear slightly higher damage doesn’t compensate for the loss of a shield in this situation.

2h Swordmen have a harder time soloing higher level dungeons because they need to heal up damage they take (unlike archer and wiz that can deal damage without taking damage back). Good 2h swordmen will try to offset this issue by simply dealing more damage so they kill mobs faster (and thus take less damage). This means 2h swordmen usually need more money investment to solo high lvl dungeons (but it’s still very much possible).

Soloing with 1h spear + shield tends to be much easier.

Again, if you’re playing in a party with a healer, 1h or 2h survivability doesn’t matter much.

For 2h spear AoE I would recommend either Hoplite 3 -> Dragoon 2 or Cataphract 3 -> Lancer.

Cata3 -> Lancer would be the more “balanced” build between offensive and defensive. This is because Cata3 loses a lot of damage in comparison with Hop3 but at same time Cata has a skill to increase move speed which indirectly helps your survivability a lot (a.k.a you can move around and avoid mob hits easier). Lancer has a skill that allows you to block with 2h spear so that increases your defensiveness slightly. Cata3 “Rush” skill would be your best AoE damage, which is decent but nothing too amazing.

Hop3 -> Dragoon2 with 2h spear would be the more “offensive” build. You have slightly better AoE skills (Dethrone and Spear Throw) than Rush alone and you also feature more offensive skills overall (better rotations). This build is also more flexible and allows you to make either 1h spear shield or 2h spear with it (so you can switch weapons and try out a shield if you like). Lancer skills are forced for 2h spears so you’ll never see a 1h spear Lancer.

1 Like

I for one am playing Sw3-High3-Drag2 variant. Why high? cause I like Moulinet. looks so cool with a spear :joy:

1 Like

Sorry for long time answer.

Thanks all of you for your help. I will try the Dragoon’s build, it looks very good to me.

Thanks again, it’s a pleasure to see such a good community ^^

Success in your adventure fellow future dragoon and have fun :smiley:

Another spear-based build that can work is sword1>peltasta2>hoplite3>shinobi1>murmillo1. your shinobi clones can use syncro thrusting from hoplite and hoplite’s spear lunge also boosts damage of shinobi’s kunai skill (which can also be used by the clones) - having shinobi clones will basically multiply the damage output of those 2 skills by +500% and will melt bosses. murmillo boosts syncro thrusting damage by 150% also. also having pelt2+hoplite3 (pelt passive block attribute and hoplite’s finestra) gives insainly high block rate so soloing becomes far, far easier. it’s not the highest DPS shinobi build but you have tons of block rate which just makes bossing easier.