Tree of Savior Forum

New player build

So I’m not rich and can’t afford 2 weapons. I like to do AoE dmg in PvE and have no idea what I want to do in endgame but I guess velcoffer and maybe the scattered CM for silver…I’ll probably gem feud too so a little PvP but not focused on it.

I tend to like sword and board look more than 2 hander builds. I don’t think I want to play matador or fencer but if you want you can highlight why they are good if I’m nuts not for going those classes. I don’t need to be the cutting edge meta build, I’d rather have fun with it. Plus I have a new guild that will take whatever you play to Velc.

Suggestions? Classes I’ve been thinking about is Rod, barb, dopp and murm. I’ve been working so I haven’t really looked at putting a build together yet.

very newbie friendly build

Build looks alright. I’m not a huge fan of mata or fencer myself. I was looking in the top 100 builds and like #25 is rod > pelt > murm is that build strong?

Honestly I have a few rod questions,

1. Their skills seem to have high skill ratio and high AoE factor, are they as good as they seem on paper?

2. does murm somehow boost rod damage?

3. does pelt somehow boost rod damage?

Someone recommended me to try rod > barb > murm on reddit and someone else recommended the same with dopp instead of murm for cyclone, punish and buffs. Any idea on those builds? I believe they were trying to stay with 1H + shield thing

These two topics might help you.

Answering your questions:
1- kinda of
2 - no
3 - no

The thing about rod-pelt-murm is that most of their skills use shield to calculate the damage so you only need to invest in shield. The AoE factor might be big, but the area of effect is tiny, it works well cuz pelta can bring everyone together.
I like this build, it might be the only one i can get behind in swordsman tree.

But i’ve said it once and i’m gonna say it again: You don’t go to swordman tree and expect big AoE skills, if you want to focus on this go to wizard tree. Good/decent physical AoE damage you gonna find in archer and scout tree.

Take a look at these two topics, you might find something useful about swordsman

Thanks I’ll read these after work. I should clarify too I meant AoE in terms of hit lots of mobs. I know I won’t be hitting lots of mobs completely across my screen like a omny in wiz tree but I don’t want to aggro a bunch of mobs and only hit 5 things at a time like say krivis.

I played pelt before rebuild and swash buckling is really nice but I’d say endgame your gear makes pelt buffs not needed and swash buckling is probably not used either. So I could drop pelt totally but I like shields so hard to make that call. I do know you can mob without swash buckling though, I did it on my cleric by just walking for aggro

1 Like

swash is very good still.
The ultimate shield build is rod-pelt-murm, damage is good, very tanky and you only need to invest in Shield really.
Edit:
Murm: Shield Train and Scutum Hit are your best friends. Other skills give good utility: Stun, movespeed, jumps, bleed…
Rod: all skills with shield in the name + Target Smash have damage calculated based on shield, so you get most of your damage skills from here.
Pelta: lots of defensive buffs + Swash Buckling. All of it’s skill use shield’s defense to increase dmg.

If you drop Pelta you gonna have to invest in main weapon as well

Thanks for the input im gonna roll a Rod first and try out all the damage skills. Then if i like it ill pick up Pelt and finally Murm. Reason for Rod first is it has good aoe ratios for farming kills in DP2, Tenant, etc and really it seems like those will be your bread and butter skill for the build so if i dont like them then I wouldn’t of invested to much.

Someone recommended my to try Mata > Pelt > Murm Would you recommend that over Rod > Pelt > Murm? Is there much of a difference?

I can’t answer your question, I just wanted to give you a fair warning; the shield attack attribute that makes your skill damage scale with your shield attack is currently broken for every class, though I do believe a fix is in korea, so don’t use it for now. You’ll have to invest in a main handed weapon.
Another thing, Peltasta isn’t a required circle if you just want to do damage. You were right to say that in endgame it doesn’t really matter with the right gear (you’ll be using a good shield eventually after all) unless you want to pvp, and it’s mostly there for swashbuckling, not any serious synergy other than the fact you use a shield.
It’s true that your skills don’t have the best hitboxes, primarily with rodel, so swashbuckling is invaluable for gathering mobs close. If you decide otherwise, barbarian or even doppel could be good fits for a general damage increase. Hoplite could work too if you want to focus on crits, and I suppose under that same logic matador as well (answered it after all?), but to me it sounded like you want to use swords. Personal flavor is important too.