Tree of Savior Forum

Network 'lag' or poorly written server-side code?

A lot of people are talking about ‘lag’ but, if you type “//ping” it will tell you your network latency in seconds.

Even during periods of heavy “lag” where NPCs become unresponsive and nothing can get done, my network latency is usually still around ~0.100 ( or 100 ms) which is really not terribly bad.

I’m suspecting, the problem has to do with inefficiencies on the server-side code, where it is taking way longer than it should to process requests.

Let’s say it take 50 ms for your game client to send a “Player talked to NPC and turned in quest” event. The server then has to do some processing and then send out an outcome for the game client to display and then send the result back (takes another 50 ms). The problem is if this “processing” step takes too long then under the condition where a lot of people are asking the server to churn out some results for “Player talked to NPC” events, the server just cannot keep up.

What players should do in the short-term:

The best thing to tell fellow players is to only perform actions once! Don’t try to talk to the NPC again or turn in the quest again, that just causes more messages to be sent to the server, further increasing its workload. Perform an action and then wait! It’ll eventually get done… (we’re experiencing some of this as I speak… server just took ~6 minutes to respond to a quest turn in >_<)

I’m thinking imc really should in the mid-long term look into a major refactor of their server-side code…

In the short term, they need to throw more server power at the problem unfortunately, get more channels up :confused:

1 Like

I forgot to add, you can even perform a sequence of actions like:

Turn in quest to NPC A then move over to NPC B and turn in their quest too. Just don’t repeat any action and your actions will eventually catch up.

Either way the word lag is being properly used. Lag by definition is simply comparative slowness or retardation. Latency is the ping you describe.

1 Like

I agree, I just think that colloquially, most people when they say something is ‘lagging’ are essentially saying ‘it’s a network issue’.

What I’m saying is that it’s unlikely, and that there are specific actions that players can take to prevent the issue from getting worse.

for me after using the cmd //ping some maps have 0.100 others 0.800…The server is a mess right now =.="

Right, what I’m saying is that a poor network connection is not likely to be the true underlying cause. Because people with high ping as well as people with low ping can experience this NPC issue.

The real proof is that if you are patient enough, during heavy ‘lag’ periods, if you perform the action you want to perform, then wait, it will eventually occur (but you have to be extremely extremely patient).

I just tried collecting some items (with spacebar interact) and it took 20 seconds for the action to show up and “happen” on my client.

What kind of ping would you have to have for it to warrant 20 seconds? (this is the equivalent to getting the number “20000” after typing “//ping” (of course you’d have to wait 20 seconds for it to get back to you with that number lol).

With this, I personally think you can safely rule out network as the sole cause of the npc issue.

EDIT: and like I said in my opening post, sometimes it takes 6 minutes for an action to start initiating!!

For me, the lag makes the game unplayable. If it were not for how much I want this game to be good, I would have given up on it. Terrible server services, and possibly poor server-side code, as you suggest, should be regarded as the highest development priority.

Hopefully with the founder server sales, there is some money available to buy beefier servers and hire more experienced network developers?

Yeah… I should’ve worded and titled this post as a PSA (especially for those who want to make some progress in the ■■■■storm). But yeah, these conditions make me more than a bit annoyed so the opening post is what people get =_=…

As andyurquijo said, the game is unplayable right now. I would like to hear when this is gonna be fixed, there is no point on paying for an early access when you can’t even play the game. Please give the highest priority to this.