Tree of Savior Forum

Network code is the cause of a lot of fps/performance issues. Video inside

Also, from a perspective of a non pro programer: The game Barely uses the GPU Power.

I tried testing with Asus GPU Tweak with my GTX 660ti. I sent this as a ticket for them a while ago. Here i did with a recent game (Rocket League) that runs perfectly at 90+FPS at max settings

Playing Rocket League:

This is ToS, walking around fedimian:

and this is during a Dullahan fight. Even when is really necessary, it barely uses the GPU power:

Correct me if i’m wrong on something or if it’s not that useful information, i’m not that pc expert.

1 Like

Its the garbage old engine they use, You are being limited by your processor and the games netcode which is preventing the GPU from performing or being used.

1 Like

Guys they are helping us to save watt/power by using lesser GPU usage!! Who could have thought of that, Genius.

Sarcsm

On a serious side they seriously need to do something bout dat gpu usage problem. :expressionless:

2 Likes

The fact this game is not Async sockets over UDP is just absolutely mindblowing… This kind of networking has been the standard for over a decade in MMOs. I have seen highschoolers implement it.

Press ~ to pull console down

Type fps_max 72

That’s how I solve .

Theres no addo nto save us @Excrulon ? =(

Blaming the network code for being synchronous instead of asynchronous is ignoring the other huge issues which are bring by asynchronous code. It’s not the best solution at everything at all.

Your video doesn’t prove much, as you are inspecting network performance from Lua code and empirically giving false conclusions. Please use an external ToS network proxy (hint : I’ve released one), hook the packet handlers from the client, and do an appropriate code profiling.

@Excrulon, with all my respect, please don’t spread misinformation about native code implementation when you don’t have that knowledge. I know you’re probably sick of the poorly coded Lua code, but don’t extend that logic to the entire engine.

The network code is fine. It could be better, but it is not “the” cause of a lot of fps issues.

1 Like

I doubt the netcode itself would fix the fps entirely since despite of the 2D-ish look there r tons of 3D object draws needed to be rendered especially on each character seems to have many multiple separate 3D objects needed to be draw/render everytime it enters the frame, hence there are severe lag/spikes whenever more than 10-20+ players are in the screen (common thing for most mmos). All these stuff while the engine itself doesn’t even fully utilize the gpu, not even 40% which is the main issue. They seriously need to consult Nvidia or Amd or someone else for these fixes lel.

Hope they can also add in some kind of feature like in Blade & Soul where pressing CTRL + F would hide (not render) all other characters and skill effect on the screen. One of the most useful feature ever especially for Boss/Dg raids.

I was even considering selling my GPU to buy a good AIO for the CPU and overclock it just to squeeze out more FPS. XD

What is the issue then ?
The poor coding ?
Cause despite what “everyone” is saying, the problem obviously isn’t about a lack of GPU/CPU usage.
The game already use way more power than it should…

In this game, we have a lag spike every time we get a new data… Should it be a new player, a sucessfull/failed upgrade, a Sorcerer summoning…
And why is the fps performance so much affected by the network performance ?

1 Like

So, what is the main reason for that poor fps?

1 Like

I use FPS savior and it kind of help…

not that huge of an improvement but it helps :smiley:

I have it on a macro to quick switch :blush:

1 Like

I’m glad you’re repeating this Excrulon. It was the talk during the earlier days of tos but lately people have argued a lot that the networking is fine and the fps is caused by potato computers.

It’s been a real irritation trying to correct people on the subreddit without anything valuable to point to. This thread will now serve as that.

Here’s hoping the old words from IMC regarding both multicore processing and net fixes are still eventually going to happen. If they’ve dropped those plans after publicly saying they were coming then I’ll drop IMC as a company that directly lies to customers. If those plans changed and they chose not to tell the community they’re making a huge mistake for PR.

On the other hand if they do exist and eventually come to fruition after having to massively rework the game and engine then this community is basically going to do a complete U-Turn on the hate IMC receives into love and adoration.

4 Likes

This only shows how rushed the game was at the time of release. This game had a lot of bugs, exceptions, and other problems before it came out. Thing is, people wanted to cash cow the game because they ran out of funds to keep improving this game.

I’m pretty sure someone in the Marketing Team said something like “The game is broken, but we can milk it out so we can get more money to finish it later on. We can keep exploiting the fact it’s a self-glorified shadow of Ragnarok Online, and people will love that for a while,” but as we all know, it didn’t turn out that way.

kkay i guess its time for IMC to start developing Tree of Savior 2.

It’s because most people had already quit or got banned. Those who remain are majority white knights and fanboys.

2 Likes

(Image from reddit post)

This NPC just broke the 4TH wall !!!

@Y100Grand Already left weeks ago xD, Only here because the forums are better then the game.

Forum of savior

8 Likes

it is sad that the music and art are awesome yet the coding so bad. this game was exactly what I had been looking for. seems like mostly bots play this game lol.

Oh god thx man, I’m crying :joy:.

So… @Excrulon and nerdy folks: is this promising?

https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=644