Tree of Savior Forum

My feedback on linear progression and other stuff

You NAILED it man!! :+1:
/20characters…

There is no point in grinding in this game -.-! Just understand that and you will understand what the complaints are about. Maybe in a higher level it makes sense to grind again (idk, I didn’t get there), but at least not until ~100.

Why would I spend 5 hours grinding if I can get the same amount of exp in 30-60 minutes doing quests? It’s not like I find it THAT fun to grind, I just don’t enjoy the way these quests are made. You are forced to do the quests, and these quests tell a story. A linear story. A story that you will need to follow again and again with all the new characters you make. And it’s not fun, because most of the quests are EXACTLY the same. You don’t need to read the story, you don’t need to read what the NPCs ask you to do. You just quickly skip all the text, go to the point marked on your map, do what you have to do, press return, talk to the NPC again. Possibly defeat another weak “boss” in the process. Doing the same sequence of linear quests with multiple characters would already be boring. But when all these thousands of quests are identical to each other? It couldn’t get worse, I suppose.

You say I can go farm for the items I want in map x. But why? I get ALL the items I want just following the quests and killing the very few monsters it asks me to. I don’t need to go to map x. You say I can go for exp in map y. But again, I get all exp from the quests (main + side), I don’t need to go to map y. Actually, map y gives me both the exp AND the items, not just the exp. And if I’d go to map y, you’d get to lv100 passing your quests while I’d still be lv40-50, trying to grind.

Wanna fix these quests? Okay, make them give less exp than grinding. It has to be less. If it is the same, people will still choose the quests, for a simple reason: adventure journal. They give way too many points there, even though I wouldn’t call myself an adventurer for following some NPCs to the end of the game. But a note here: I think when the game releases, with the proper exp rate, you will need to grind A LOT! I mean, right now, for lv50+, you can’t just follow the main quests and be always in the correct level. You need some side quests. With 5x less exp, not even passing all the side quests will be enough to get enough exp. You will grind. If you think the game will be this easy after its release, rethink =). Not everybody likes easy games and IMC won’t make this an easy one. But of course, it won’t change the fact the quests will still be the best way to get maybe 50% of your exp, and won’t be an extra only, unless you want to spend your time grinding when you can get easy exp by following quests.

Now, you say these quests give you a reason. Personally, I think that’s a very weak reason to play an mmorpg, but that’s not up to me to judge. Now, what I’d like to see is how long players will stay in this game. Will people stay here for 1 month and leave? One year? In RO1, players would stay for many years. Even with all its flaws, with all the new episodes that destroyed the game, the renewal, all the bots, the game is still alive. And it’s an unique game, there’s no other mmorpg like it I’m aware of (notice I’m not talking about amount of players, because WOW would win easily nowadays). I’m bringing RO back to the discussion because you say games like RO don’t work anymore. I agree RO is completely broken right now, but it wasn’t always like this, and it wasn’t time alone that killed the game, but bad players (with bots) and bad decisions in updates.

9 Likes

This is something I didn’t even know, since I’m passing all the quests. Not only quests give way more exp than grinding, but also block access to maps… so, completely not optional. Thanks for bringing this to the topic.

1 Like

Ok so you dont whant the game 2 have quests at all?go play an mmorpg like this.what mmorpg is like this?for quests give faster exp,how you fix it?yo need a reword for doing it.if the reeord be silver the you will cry it give faster silver?
Now you dont even know what the story is but hate it.how you want you opinion be taken after this? The story is nothing grate really but you play a hero helping his godes to save the world.as for bloked maps,read the story and you will know why it this way.there lots of hiden quests in the game as well.
Games stoped be do one quest grind 10 lvls do one more for more that 10 years.when they did so mmorpgs started 2 have way more players.
As for starting in the same place over and over its not fun i know.this is somthing the need 2 fix. They have some maps the you stsy maybe 5 min on befor you move on.this can be made in to starting maps.

1 Like

Quit repeating the same illiterate crap over and over. This is what? Your 4th post in this thread that’s virtually identical: Blah blah blah, “dun liek game, dun plai, derp”.
He’s fully allowed to voice his feedback and opinion, and you’ve already had your say. Criticizing someone else’s opinion based on your own doesn’t help imc and right now, you’re the only one that’s pro-linearism.
Linear mmorpgs are doomed to die the moment they’re released; not a single one has survived longer than a year or two from release in the last 10 years. Even now, RO1 has more players in just iRO that RO2 has globally.

9 Likes

First of all his opinion is must 2vbe heard.as for the onlly one?in this yopic may be.in the game?go and ask people and see for your self.
Thevthing is mmorpg cant have onlly grindc24/7 0 quests if it wabt more tha 100k people.yes diablo can.butveven in therecyou have quests.

Where did I suggest having 0 quests? My suggestion to the fix was making the quests give less exp than grinding does. It’s not really a good fix, but it’s better than the way it is now. This mmorpg only rewards players that blindly follow these quests. I read the texts presented by the NPCs until level 20ish, then I stopped.

To me, a much better fix (+ reducing exp given by quests) would be to make many small sequences of quests that don’t rely on each other. Right now, even if they reduced the exp given by the quests and I decided to level up by grinding, if later I decided to go for these quests I’d need to start from very low level quests until I got to my level. That doesn’t look promising, there should be independent quests starting on many different levels. This linear progression thing works well for RPGs (and I must admit I played quite a few of them), but for MMORPGs it just destroys the sense of “MMO”. It’s true that everybody is playing together. But it’s not true they are part of the same story. Each one is building their one story, and that’s sad =/. If your friend is a few quests ahead of you, you must first catch up to him before you can do quests together (of course he can help you on your quests, but he will only be repeating quests he doesn’t need to do anymore).

I’m proposing something that benefits both people who likes to level up by quests and people who prefer to socialize a bit, make parties, go grinding, you know, make use of the “MMO” part in the genre. And, again, notice that when the game releases both kind of players will have to grind. There will be no “quest-only” type of player, as this iCBT² is with a 5x exp rate and yet at lv50+ you already need to do both main+side quests to keep up the level. Giving 5 times less, there won’t be enough quests. Keep that in mind.

I won’t extend myself.

3 Likes

Make your words mine. Felt exactly the same. I hope IMC does not treat ToS to be like Diablo III when you get tired hearing “uncle Deckard…” over and over again.

RO1 was very fun to play along with friends, and the story-no story-open story was excelent.

I am with you, bro.

7 Likes

I think you are asking for a bit much to ask for a larger variety of quests, that aren’t linear but cover 600 levels. I also think you aren’t accounting for the style or theme of the game, this seems to be largely a social game. The real story is the one you make with the people you meet and the friends you play with, not the NPCs. Interesting story in an MMORPG is nice, but I’d be hard pressed to remember a single quest or NPC interaction from any MMO I’ve played in the last 10 years. But I certainly remember all sorts of interactions with players and the adventures we went on.

I can also understand not wanting to be gated by the questline, but from what I’ve seen so far most of this is due to the fact that you’re still being introduced to the game both to the world itself and the game mechanics. It would be irresponsible for a game to just dump you into a massive world and let you go free from the start without any idea of what to do or how to do it. Being free to explore and do what you want should come after you’ve got a decent grasp of the game, in my opinion.

1 Like

Except that’s what attracted me to open world games which I was hoping TOS would be. It’s also why I kept going back to RO. All it had in the beginning was a tutorial area that told you about the basic game mechanics and let you level there till you could job change, then threw you into an open world without telling you what to do. What would be considered a decent grasp of the game to let me explore? I have 25 hours sunk into this and it still feels like the game is holding my hand most of the time.

I know this isn’t supposed to be RO, but it’s supposed to be an MMO, and right now I just feel like I’m playing a single player RPG with boring quests along other people interfering and stealing my kills.

6 Likes

[quote=“rtraxter, post:30, topic:96341”]
but from what I’ve seen so far most of this is due to the fact that you’re still being introduced to the game both to the world itself and the game mechanics.
[/quote] lol the main quest will stop when your lvl is max are you saying that the game is still being introduce to us until the end game? im pretty sure that we already know all the game mechanics without the quest if we’re gonna play this game to that point

A linear game isn’t really a social game. I felt like playing a single player RPG with all the other players just seems like NPC to me.

4 Likes

Great point. At the moment, starting new characters feel like rewatching the same movie. Looking at the world map, we can bet that most if not all characters will just connects the dots from one map to another.

The openess in RO or WOW makes it so if I go Fire Mage, I can choose the map that is right for me. So do archers or swordmen that use certain type of weapons.

The quests in WOW are also very compact with story and content. You find a village that is being attacked by bandits. Quest#1 kills 10 mooks. Quest#2 find 5 First Aids. Quest#3 go kill the boss. End quest. Story is some evil possess bandit boss. Go grind or move to next map.

I agree with everyone that agrees with this thread and disagree with the points of everyone that disagrees (especially that one kid who can’t bother to put in the effort to make their post readable).

ToS would be a spectacular single player or coop game. Push the experience rate up a bit and I see maybe a good sixty hours of content for $39.99. Add some high res cut scenes and voice acting and you’ve got yourself a decent $59.99 title.

However, ToS simply does not stand out as an MMO as much as it could. The rank and circle thing is neat, and so is the art, and like every other MMO ever, these can be forgotten as gimmicks.

I can’t recall a single thing about RO that was forgettable (hah!). Stiletto [2] has a required level of 12 and drops from soldier skeletons at a base rate of 0.5% and sell for 9,750z (12,090z with overcharge). I’ve memorized this and countless other things because these things were not formulaic and linear.

I don’t even know what my quarrel shooter’s weapon is called. It was the best one of the level 40 tier.

9 Likes

Well ToS followed the model of tiered gear. That’s why gear is so “forgetable”. In RO, if you finally found end game +10 formal suit [1] you also found your character’s coffin. He will DIE in that +10 formal suit [1].

On the topic of the linear story line, I wouldn’t even mind textless quests. Show us some pictures and let US come up with the story we wanna go with. At least then redoing the story over and over wouldn’t be “the same”.

You can do quests in a party in this game.there more that onlly story quests.the perfect fix will be that quest and grind give some what the same exp for the same time.they need 2 make quest longer and harder and i will so love it.
If quests will give less then alot of people will fell they are forced 2 do bad content.way more that now.
As for people wanted an open world game.did you see at last one game play video befor wanting 2 play?if you did you will see that its not open world onlly open class build.
One more peoblem i see is that for some reason people think they play a solo game.you dont go form partys and talk 2 people?

It’s not about bad content, it’s about not giving a choice. In this game, you just felt that you are mindlessly follow what the game asked you to do, which is like a single player RPG.

1 Like

No its not.you bo understand that you geting way mor exp in the bate that it will ni in the full game?you will have alot of grind there just how you want.
The moment you will stop forcing on your sell the idea that somthing is forced on you here you start having fun.if having 100+ build is not fun for you then sory but its not your game.the team doing the game is not big and dont have money for more.so most of the time go into the classes.

Having 100 classes, even 1000, will not change the single player like gameplay. It’s not like you don’t have to grind in single player rpg.

Seriously? It’s the job of developer to let us have fun, a player shouldn’t force himself to believe the game is fun.

1 Like

So you dont have fun in the as it is.the game will be like this after the beta as well.i am sorry and dont take it the wrong way but why are you here?when did any one from the development did say its will be open world?go in a game not looking it up befor thinking it will be like ro but fined its not is on you not the developers.they cant make it fun for 100% of people.the can onllyhope that alot wil like it and pay for it.