Tree of Savior Forum

My feedback for iToS CBT1

1. EXP. rates around levels 30-40 (Around Tenet Fields/Chapel) are way too slow. Quests should be more than enough to completely sustain you through the levels and map progression naturally until 90 or more before you’re required to “grind.” Personally I don’t like grinding at all and don’t think it should ever be required, but the longer you can wait to introduce the grind the better because you will give your players more access to their builds and skills so there’s more engagement game play for grinding rather than just pressing a couple of skills every now and then and auto attacking even when you’re not an auto attack class. You should also never have to grind more than an hour for 1 level, no matter what, at any level. Remember after you reach max level the first time, the journey is no longer fun and is instead just a chore. After that point, the game starts at max level so focus on the destination more than the journey and make end game content that remains fun and replayable for thousands of hours.

2. SP management is a huge problem for most classes. SP recovery in general, for both low and high Spirit builds, needs to be massively buffed or the prices of SP potions need to be massively decreased. There’s a huge unbalance here especially in terms of silver income for lower levels.

3. HP recovery is largely in the same boat. The best solution would be to increase HP/SP recovery in general for both low/high CON/SPR builds, and also make sitting heal based on percentages rather than flat values, that increase exponentially the longer you sit, doubled by bonfires. This means when you sit you should heal slowly at first, but eventually get to 100% HP/SP after about a minute total as it speeds up. Sitting for 30 seconds heals faster and more than sitting for 5 seconds, so that you have to invest into sitting in a safe spot rather than sitting for a few seconds and “abusing” it. Setting down a bonfire in or near the grinding/questing spot will allow for minimal downtime and more fun in a healthy way.

4. Attribute learning terms feel really arbitrary and useless. I don’t understand why they’re necessary. They already cost silver and I think it’s great they cost silver: it gives you more economy sinks and more uses for it. But why the training time? It has no purpose. You’re already gated by silver, you don’t need to be gated and feel pressured to learn them all the time between all your characters and planning your schedules around it. It’s annoying, not fun, and serves no purpose.

5. Stamina has the same problem as attribute learning times: it’s arbitrary and useless. The Swordsman sprint feels great especially in combat and drains stamina pretty appropriately, but stamina needs to have more combat value rather than just forcing you to stop running from point A to point B. Why does the player have to stop running (not sprinting)? What’s the point? What kind of engaging game play is that? I recommend making jumps cost stamina but increasing the speed at which it recovers especially in battle, and removing the non-sprint run stamina cost. There’s no point for it.

6. Remove Mage’s jump basic attack, buff its damage on the ground accordingly. This will make jumps feel more of a evasion decision rather than just being annoying bunnies hopping around jumping everywhere. Of course Mages feel forced to use jump attacks all the time because it’s so slow and awful on the ground. But it should feel slow and tactical when you use it, and just have the damage to back it up to make it worth using between cooldowns. You should have to think when you basic attack as a Mage because it’s slow and leaves you open, but it should do good damage to feel good.

7. Remove basic attack animation delay skip. I hate this. I hate playing a melee or an archer or a mage or whatever and feeling like I constantly need to step and jump to skip animation delays to increase my attack speed. It looks stupid, it feels bad, it’s tiring, and not fun at all. “Stutter stepping,” “warp walking,” whatever you want to call it, it’s bad and needs to go. The fact IMC Games is supporting it with their little hints in game really bothers me. This is a design flaw, not a design decision and philosophy. Remove all it, make sitting still basic attacking/normal archer strafing the thing. Those feel good. That’s how the game should play.

8. Archer basic attack feels really weak and bad. This needs buffing really badly. They’re supposed to do tons of damage from range and apply constant fast pressure while remaining mobile with strafing but they’re just not doing the damage with them. I want archer basic attack builds to be a thing like it is for Swordsmen. I want Kneeling Stance to be a viable and fun strategy when they’re protected. Ranger’s Critical Shot is a really cool skill but it’s just not enough, especially since no other archer class gets it. It also costs a little too much SP, and I’m not sure you can use it in Kneeling Stance or not.

9. 10 repeatable quests needs to go. That one in the Mining Village that gives the great EXP. cards: it’s like 10 repeat. That’s not very fun. 5 repeat should be fine. Remember what’s most fun and what’s most efficient should both be the same so people want to play the game and feel like their time spent having fun is rewarding.

10. Gear progression feels way off. I’m not sure how you’re feeling about balance right now and if you’re just looking for more serious things, but this needs to be addressed. It’s hard finding what all gear each enemy offers and drops and what you can get from each map, especially with crafting scrolls. Gear levels from 1, 15, and 40 just feels really weird.

11. Love the graphics. Love the music. Love how hats don’t give any stats (and pray their potential doesn’t do anything). Keep it that way. Your game is great and can be much greater, listen to us and be successful with us. We don’t want a pay to win cash shop, we want cosmetics only. Most of us are willing to spend hundreds of dollars just for cosmetics on our characters if you make them great.