Tree of Savior Forum

Musings on iToF Balance - Chapter 0 - 'Salt-free' supplements to iToS Balance series

There are time I wonder does korean devs(since it’s quite obvious they’re the ones still making the decisions) even know about Skype or even Twitch Livestreams(even shty KOG-NA does this for Elsword whenever there’s a big update).

Have Samsung buy out NEXON, apparently reason why they left is they didn’t like their ‘new boss’.

1 Like

Yeah I concur. If there is anything concrete done by the devs, I wouldn’t even write my 5+1 chapters.

Sadly to say my patience is kind of wearing thin too with ToS. I just hope that I wouldn’t write my final chapter when I finish my 5 sections on musings. :x

2 Likes

^ THIS.

I’m not sure how accurate this is and I forgot which thread it was posted in but someone copy-pasted a “suggestion/bug/fix log” sorta from jTOS with timestamp, details (also marked as either “fixed”, “in the works”, “not yet”) and all which if I’m right was being maintained by their staff.

Why don’t we have one? It’s not even accurate for us to rely on what’s implemented in the other versions, expecting we should be getting the same results since a lot of changes tend to break something as soon as they’re implemented on our version.

Even if the game has issues, if the dev/publisher showed genuine concern for players which IMO starts with transparency, a player’s faith in the game will persist.

I wish one day we get an announcement like this:

Sorry, we f*cked up.

We’ve received your collective suggestions and bug reports and are working towards fixing them, prioritizing the most impactful ones.

To keep you guys in the loop, please check out [LINK TO LOG PAGE] for the list of suggested changes and where we currently are with them. This will be updated weekly based on progress from our development and implementation team as well as continuous feedback from the community through our staff.

Thank you for understanding.

Trust may be hard to earn, but it’s even harder to maintain because you don’t stop working towards keeping that trust.

My experience with this game, although I can’t deny I had happy times, has in the end made me a pessimist and not trust any other MMORPG anymore.

As someone who even in a small way helped during the CBT where I fell in love with the game at first play, and then bought more than one Founder’s Pack because I badly wanted to play it again with friends - I feel betrayed.

3 Likes

No reason they shouldn’t know as South Korea treats gaming like a national sport. I think language barrier is one of the issues that is preventing them from doing it, apart from other costs such as time and money.

Just using the official forums here is already good enough imo, but they aren’t even utilising it much at all.

what’s ToF?? I’m confused :sob:

1 Like

Coined by @haukinyau1 iirc. Tree of Forums :3

2 Likes

It would be helpful for all if you could identify these troll posts that you speak of. Being vague on what should be fixed will bring different results contrary to what you expect. Or if you cant do that, give least the criteria of a troll post.

There is a reason why most constructive feedbacks are on http://reddit.com/r/treeofsavior instead of here. They self moderate, not letting the trolls propagate (they dont feed the trolls). This place on the other hand kept on feeding them. Some trolls are so thick-skin that even if you ban them over and over again (multiple ban on same person indicates that theyre unwelcome) they will just keep coming back under the disguise “cant take the criticism”.

You always see new people on reddit asking if the game is making progress or new to game itself and want to try it out. They dont post here anymore because these trolls just chasing them away, harassing them, slandering them, giving unsolicited negativity. What we see here is also a product of IMC being undermanned.

reddit…

sure…

Wrong link for 2nd link? It talks about a discord bot?

Trust isn’t a requirement for people to play the game,though.
I think any game can do fine even with little interaction of creators and community, like RO has proven already.
The question behind that is: Why was RO able to keep a solid player base while TOS isn’t able to do the same?

There are basically 2 reasons:

• RO was better balanced from the beginning.
    Even though job changes were enforced until the Juno patch came out that gave you an alternative job to change into upon reaching joblevel 40-50, the classes were fairly balanced in terms of basically everything.

• RO wasn’t quest-focused from the beginning. It was only later on that quests became a good way to take a short cut over some painful leveling (basically with the introduction of Rachel and Veins).
    This resulted in people partying to level from some level-threshold onwards and strenghened the community as drops were more common to find on the market.

Another point to add is that you wouldn’t get zeny from monsters but only by selling loot from monsters to NPCs, granting a control over money influx by adjusting item prices. From Moscovia update onwards, this became a little hard,though,as witherless roses were worth too much and way to common as a Mavka drop. The problem was that there was no effective zeny-sink besides upgrading gear, meanwhile TOS has so many silver sinks ingame that it’s currently very hard to keep up with the demands of early leveling unless you afk-farm.

That way players stuck together more from the beginning and able to achieve something. I didn’t mind RO being just mindless grinding&leveling because it was fun. In contrast, TOS has too many OP features to focus on that it stresses out people. People are no longer playing the game but the game is playing them by adding dungeon restrictions, forcing you to play every single day.

I had way more fun playing whenever I liked it, not being forced to play when the developers want me to. Also, so many upgrade features are not very good to be introduced together. Upgrade your equip, upgrade your gems, upgrade your cards and upgrade to transcendence rank x to be viable is just Mind Crush

and no longer fun.

The game gets repetetive and boring because you’re forced to do this, as it’s not an option. Looking at the ridiculous HP and defence inside instanced dungeons, you have to at least invest into a decent weapon and gems to be able to participate, otherwise you’re forced to level by questing or hard grinding, which requires a lot of boring moving around endlessly killing monsters and picking up stuff.

Questing is also solo content, so no way to party here, partying is only for grinding, and if you party with someone dealing not enough damage, you lose EXP gain/hour since this game is currently just power creeping with decent gear because you won’t get hit much and yellow/blue gems absorb almost all damage dealt to you until you hit around level 260+.
This in turn makes “support” Classes look way worse than they are because they can’t deal decent enough damage to become viable additions to the party, thanks to Pardoners buff shops and scrolls.

So, what developers need to do is to focus on fixing the things they broke and keep in mind two things:

• stop adding repetitive content. nothing is worse than giving the player new content that requires you to farm or keep doing things repetetively.
    Looking at ET and Hethran Badges, aside from Saalus to get x shards every day, that’s a really bad feature and no game should ever introduce so many things of these kinds at once because the gear is too alluring for people to not take the challenge… until they discover that it takes forever to reach the top level/get the gear they want and get frustrated.

Once frustrated, the game is no longer fun but boring repetition and will lose its appeal, especially since you can just “whale” your way out by buying the stuff from the market after aquiring enough TP-only stuff and sell it on the market. This gives a really bad aftertaste and won’t help keeping players motivated.

• stop adding broken and unbalanced content. Nothing is worse than discovering that new content/Classes/skills are broken/bugged/useless and the player is helpless and left alone.
    RNG to a certain degree is fine, but it really hurts to see content locked behind time limits and RNGs, especially if it comes to “endgame” stuff like lvl 315 weaponry/armory, which is obviously too strong in comparison to previously added content (lvl 220-280 gear).
    Having to grind ET or Practonium quest is pretty unfair because players who reach e.g. higher levels earlier and have better damage have an easier life to aquire those gears in contrast to people with worse Class-combinations and/or gear.
    This creates a way higher threshold (gear+attributes+level+experience) between new players and old players to overcome, discouraging people from the beginning to play the game (always last in boss ranking, no chance to get field boss cubes, no chance on entering a decent ET party, less options to famr silver effectively, no chance in PvP and GvG).

The lack of balance and the virulence of bugs that are sometimes even coming back with maintenance made people sour and bitter, and caused the ToF-phenomenon. Writing on the forums is sometimes way more fun than “playing”, which is a bad sign for the state of the game. Hues and “doomknights” are basically the proof that the game is in a dire state, and need to be given credit to a certain degree.
What IMC can do to “fix” the forum issues:

• stop the staff from being randoms on the forums. The staff only appears every now and then and mostly on useless contributions/discussions.
    If there’s practically no-low presence of staff in the community interaction section of the forum (e.g. suggestions, general discussion) but appearing on off-topic posts, the people on the forums feel like they are trolled by the staff. Even if you tag them, there’s mostly no response in any way, and you can’t even see if they read what you wrote or not.

• start forum interaction in a way you control.
    This could be in the form of brainstorming/troubleshooting posts by the staff members or by opening polls, controlling the outcome into a certain direction. That way community becomes an active participant of the game, not just some extra feature that nearly every MMORPG has for people who aren’t illiterate.

• stop being misers on forum contribution. I know you like to open posts about new content/maintenance/events on the forums, but it’s always just the same copy-pasta. E.g.: Scheduled Maintenance for February 21, 2017

Having someone of the staff post a lively post or a post showing remorse that you’re just bringing a few changes wouldn’t be too much to ask,right?
That way would show an increased awareness of the forums and present the players with some dedication that they also show on the forums [we sacrifice our free time here by posting and reading].

Also, please stop hiding things from patch notes [aka ninja-patching], that’s really aweful. If you change something ingame, please leave a short note about what is changed. It’s just once a week, so is it too much to ask to invest like 10-20 minutes for listing everything that changed?

If they’d do that the ToF would become less trolled/doomed I believe :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Their “self moderate” is down voting nearly everytime someone expresses displeasure at something they don’t like, bugs or features. Reddit is one of the worst echo chambers on the internet, along with obvious astroturfing and political propaganda.

Also you came back after being banned for racism, so the whole post is hypocritical.

For a newly released and promising MMORPG that one really wants to play, while not technically a requirement trust is subconciously established by the player towards the game.

If you don’t trust the game, you wouldn’t have invested months and money into it.

1 Like

well, if afk farm is unacceptable (its technically legit but the behavior causing much uproar among the players, leading imc to review this feature)

how is a chat channel for monopolize wb timer is acceptable (grey area if this is actually allowed or not)

a certain someone is overglorifying reddit.
afaik, reddit has its own share of problems/trolls

just saying.

biggest problem we have is people policing each other just to boast one’s ego.

cant really control human behavior though…

as for the game, i think imc just need to keep up to their promises

1 Like

Actually the posts that prompted this writing is the Chrome div hiding extension and the tit for tat responses/threads it generates. As much as our methods and way of expressing opinions differ, we all still want the same thing, which is for ToS to get better.

Just want to share that we too have a part to play in making ToS for the better, although our part aren’t as big as what IMC can do, even a small improvement can help everyone’s experience with ToS/ToF much better.

@haukinyau1 I can’t say that is in a grey area for a discord bot though since it is a totally different program which is out of ToS. Likewise players can use things like Google Calendar to set up boss timings too, just put in death time and add a reminder to set to 8/16 hours after it.

Each of the community platform has its own share of problems (Actually I think Steam has the worst of out of the 3).

If only everyone can learn how to respect each other’s opinions, then we wun have this kind of problems anymore. Easier said than done, haiz.

2 Likes

just a thought, a game i play have a global wb timer accessible to everyone.

imc could make wb spawn time transparent

just. my. 2. cents.

3 Likes

Good idea, but they really should fix the engine before doing anymore features that includes hordes of players. Many months ago where WB channels attract 80+ players the game always crashes when I try to get near the boss. Those who didn’t crash report 1 or 2 fps slideshows.

Good times indeed, where most WB loots had value. Now it’s just cards and throw the recipes away.

I think “fixing” the engine is a lost cause. At best they can make more efficient, which is what they have been doing so far. I fear there’s no magical fix that will make it run butter smooth. I don’t even mind if the FPS isn’t always in par, it’s the stuttering that’s the worse.

RO (the PC game… and oh, the official version) has this feature called “Tomb”. The tomb is… technically an NPC. Whenever a boss monster dies, a tomb spawns containing time of death and who dealt the most damage/the killing blow. From hereon one (i mean anyone) can just click the tomb and measure how much time is left before the boss respawns. (Just like TOS, respawnd every x hours)

The tricky part is where to find the boss within the map, although it’s not really that hard and some bosses have fixed respawn places. In my country we had a cash shop item called a convex mirror which works almost exactly like the addon which shows where the boss is on the map.

https://scontent.fmnl6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10696462_903520103000490_1117940366627408822_n.jpg?oh=07964e0b2d3ccfffec0941ce279f2e72&oe=59367FE4

Unless we’re talking of the same game :smile:

sorry for derail

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.