Tree of Savior Forum

[Mini Guide] chaplain skill build

I think this will pretty much be the standard cookiecutter build for Chaplains.
it maximizes damage, has high tanking capabilties and healing too if you decide to go cleric C2 at rank6. at level 140 you will be doing around 5k damage or more with a single auto attack if you have a decent main weapon, an arde dagger and the cafrisun set.

now lets talk why these skills, and what order to take them in:

Heal>5: at this point of the game we dont need heal at all but it helps greatly on quest bosses to speed up gameplay.

Safety wall>5: also at this stage this will only be used so you can tank bosses.

Blessing>5: our first big damage boost for our auto attacks. this is where you also start heavily focusing on adding attribute points to enhance this skill since its attribute makes this skill much stronger. (+100 dmg once maxed) around this stage you will also get to grind the cafrisun set which stacks the whole blessing effect a second time on its +earth attribute attack.
so assuming the blessing attribute is maxed thats an easy +143 damage.

Sacrament>5: get it asap and love it, this will be our 3rd attack added to our auto attacks which once again gets boosted by another +131 damage from blessing.

Mass Heal>4: good for group dungeons since our simple heal wont be enough most of the times for support.

Monstrance>1: a 1 point wonder that adds a lot of dex to the party. it isnt great but its a good skill to use when fighting bosses.

Sacrament5>10: not much to say here, more damage for you and the group, max it, love it.

Stone skin>5: adds a massive block bonus to the whole party, tanks will love you for this but even if you dont have a shield this will allow you block every now and then.

mass heal5>6: if it were possible id add more points to this but we simply dont have enough. it would go at the cost of damage dealing. 6 is more than enough for a nice 20% hp boost which can be a life saver.

Ressurection>2: being able to res a companion is always appreciated when deep into a dungeon, why not just 1 point? because our next skill

Revive>1: a 1 point life saver in the case you cant keep up with your heals, no matter how many damage you or a party member takes, for one time they will not die at all and have a full second to get their ass away from whatever would have killed them. if you have ressurection2 you can get +35 seconds of duration on this by raising its attribute, for a total of 125 seconds so you can focus on other skills

Aspersion>15: this is where all the remaining points go, it adds +48% defense to whoever gets sprayed with it, which is nice, but thats not the reason we max this skill. this is to maximize our damage for our upcoming champlain :slight_smile:

Aspergillum>5: this will be our 4th hit added to our auto attacks and this one is massive because we maxed out aspersion. this should also be the time you start dumping a ton of cash into raising the aspersion attribute because maxed that will add another 100% damage to this skill. overall an amazing damage bonus.

Last Rites>5: this skill is a little weird but it pretty much is sacrament V2, which adds our 5th and final hit to our auto attacks for even more damage to the whole party. this is where you should be dealing that sweet 5k+ damage per auto attack i was talking about at the start of this guide. (that is with cafri set+ arde dagger+ decent main weapon of choice)

Deploy Capella>5: Tired of constantly having to keep those buffs up? i sure was at this point, although a little expensive this is great to setup at a boss fight while in a party so they can constantly refresh their buffs here, allowing you to focus on more important things. you will have to let your party know however to keep running back to this every 35 seconds though to refresh their buffs otherwise it will be just a pretty table sitting there :stuck_out_tongue:

and that pretty much concludes this mini guide. i hope its helpful to you, it was to me and even now i dont regret a single thing, nor could i think of anything in this build that could have been done better.

the stats you take with this build doesnt matter much really whether you go full str, full spr, int, heck even full dex works wonders. (yes im going full dex lol, it actually allows me to tank the daily group missions)
just make sure that whatever stat you focus on, do not neglect CON. raise it at a 5:1 ratio at the very least. so if you have 200 of one stat you should have 40 con. or if you prefer you can focus on your main stat, and start pumping the con when you hit level 100-115s. this is where you will notice you die nearly instantly in dungeons unless you pump con.

what you do after this is up to you, if you want to make some money and have a nice magic defense buff go for pardoner.

if you want to be a better healer and grealy improve your safety wall go for a second rank of cleric, then finish it up with plague doctor to get rid of pretty much all the status effects your party has to deal with. this is most likely my recommendation. there isnt really much else for rank 6 or 7 that synergizes well with chaplain skills. so your final build would be something like this: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/xiai0ja3f5/

2 Likes

This is a very offense-oriented build. Some pointers:

1 in revive is effectively useless. The graphic on the skill trigger is gone, and with only 1 sec of invulnerability and minimal HP gain you are better off putting the point in resurrection for when they inevitably die. =P

5 in heal and not 10 in mass heal, as well as only 1 point in revive will make supporting on this build a nightmare. It may work for the first 2 or so dungeons but after that you would want a 2nd cleric for support.

1 Like

Aspersion only gets +21 damage from every skill level, and due to how defence works on this game the +48% to defence isnā€™t as good as it may sound and gets outclassed by Stone Skin later anyways as it can straight up negate physical damage. Aspersion gets most of itā€™s damage from your INT and SPR anyways a is so just getting it to like Lv5 is enough as most of the damage will come from the atribute and your stats anyways.

As mentioned by Remiri ReviveLv1 is useless and more often than not will result in your party members instantly dying again after being revived by it at higuer levels.

Mass Heal is definitevely an skill you want to max (much like Revive and Resurrect imo) due to itā€™s hard % based scaling, which means itā€™ll just get better over time.

Resurrection has literally no reason to not be maxed, it gets a faster casting and a higuer HP recovery upon revival, itā€™s simply too good to pass up if you ask me.

Monstrance has a low duration and is a magic circle (or did they change this at some point and I didnā€™t know?), given the fact that Build Capella gives this buff regardless of you having it of not (Lv1) and with a longer duration in such a way that well timed re-entering in the Capella zone gives it effectively 100% uptime compared to the actual skill which, well, itā€™s a pain to use and has like no duration.

In short, as said before by Remiri (again) itā€™s a very offensive oriented build while sacrificing support. But due to how the support skills work and the general stat allocation it has a high chance of eventually falling off really hard as atributes do most of the work for damage skills and itā€™s own level donā€™t do much while it ignores great % based support skills which will make the character need a skill point reallocation at higuer levels if they notice the glaring flaws on it on the long run.
A fair trade-off for early game gratification I guess, reminds me of Swordsman.

Just my opinions.

1 Like

aspersion gets 42 per skill level since it has a 100% attrubute bonus which makes it totally worth it. like i said in my guide the defense is not the reason i max it, its the damage.

revive has countless times saved party members in the 115, 130 and 145 dungeons cause of large spike damage and slow hitting boss attacks that hit them for over 4k damage. its anything but useless.

ressurect is pointless past 2 points because even at max its only 25% hp recovered, if you use it to combat res they are most likely to die instantly again since unlike revive it does NOT give invincibility, so its only usefull for after-combat rezzing. even then its a waste of points since people just res themselves 9/10 times. if coordinated by a party and the monsters get pulled away 2 points is still plenty for a combat res because you can safety wall them prior to ressing and heal them. no need to spend 3 more precious points into that

as support it can be hard at times but its very viable, thats why i recommended C2 cleric at the end of my guide which fixes all the problems you have as a support.

now the only point i agree with would be that maxing mass heal is worth it. if you want to sacrifice some damage get blessing 1 so you can max mass heal for that extra 10% hp, but it will certainly cripple you early on so i stick with my build

See, this is why I prefer to max Revive and Resurrect, people are way too used do this yet they ignore this:
You canā€™t use Soul Crystals in Earth Tower.
This, being the last dungeon and honestly first proper challenge in the game clearly marks the breaking point where the game requires you to be serious and increases the importance of things such as better and more consistant heals in the case of people begining to die which could easily spiral into a wipe, which can potentialy screw the Earth Tower run as itā€™s under a timer.
We can assume not being able to use Soul Crystal inside instances to become the standar past this point outside of Dungeons designed to ease leveling.

1 Like

5 is resurrection is useful because it is less time spent casting the spell. If your goal is to res and then get back in the fray you will want the cast to go off ASAP so you can go back to DPS or other support skills.

I agree that revive 1 can be useful for heavy hitting bosses.

EDIT: Also you never want only 1 in blessing, you need at least 3 to learn the attribute.

ah i didnt take that into account yeah, so i guess u can do 3 blessing, 13 aspersion and go max mass heal for those that want.

i still dont think the 3 seconds of faster casting on res is worth the 3 skill points though, but thats just a matter of opinion

Might aswell not even put points into Resurrection if youā€™re not maxing it imo. Youā€™ll never be able to cast it and theyā€™ll just die immediatly after.
I also think that maxing stoneskin is optional if your build is based around High spr + Con, you wont even need theextra 320 Block. You should add that to the guide.

Capella gives the monstrance buff even without you having it? Does it work for other skills?

This ā€˜ā€˜guideā€™ā€™ should have a warning along the lines of : Author is ill informed and might advise poor stat and skill choice, follow at your own peril.

1 Like

As of the last time someone reported it, yes.
But you put points in every other buff so yeah, the only ā€˜ā€˜badā€™ā€™ one is Monstrance because itā€™s a pain to use and has a super short duration as good as the boost to DEX may be.

its great for bosses. even though the duration is 20 seconds, the cooldown is only 23 seconds. just a 1 point wonder [quote=ā€œCalcifar, post:10, topic:187571, full:trueā€]
This ā€˜ā€˜guideā€™ā€™ should have a warning along the lines of : Author is ill informed and might advise poor stat and skill choice, follow at your own peril.
[/quote]
nice constructive feedback there mate, mind sharing your own skill build if you know it so much better?

if my build were that bad i wouldnt end up tanking group missions and 1-2 shotting all mobs with some simple auto attack in level 150-160 maps would i?

Which Capella completely outclasses it via giving it with no need to waste a Priest point on it and even makes it actually party wide and with actual 100% via simply re-entering the Capella circle.

its already party wide on its own and doesnt cost 1k to cast. not to mention capella takes a while before you get it at all compared to monstrance. i tend to cast it during big packs of mobs too in dungeons whenever i got the time. its not great but i think 1 point is worth it.

by this i assume you dont know the exact formula of monstrance do you?
its actually adding 30% dex +10 dex ontop of that, which is a massive bonus for dex based characters. someone with 200 dex would get +70 dex from this skill

I did ask if Monstrance was changed and recieved no answer, good to know it stoped being a circle then.
You talk about Capella being 1K to cast as if 1K was a large ammount of money by Rank5.

Oh I know exactly how good the boost to DEX is, but Iā€™m also aware how hard DEX falls off at latter levels and how itā€™ll keep falling and falling damage and avoid wise as time goes on.

The title itself ā€˜ā€˜The most effective chaplain skill buildā€™ā€™ should be satire or otherwise a truly mislead attempt at ego stroking.

However, Why should i even bother, there are plenty of info threads on the chaplain on this very board, threads you read and posted in yourself.

I do not care how much you mess up your own char, be my guest.

I take issue with posting guides for newbies which are apparently based off incomplete understanding or sheer thick- headedness in your case it would so seem.

Full dex on chaplain is plain bad, you give up all the efficencies on your skills to see shiny crit numbers often, turning yourself into a pseudo dps on a healer role with gimped skills.

The skill choice is also very poor.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion but I dread the day I meet a chaplain who followed your advice, in a dungeon, dead weight almost.

Before you try to educate others with a full guide, you must have garnered a sound understanding of things and not misinformation :

Objectively poor recommendations whichever way you turn it.

ps. I have flagged your post to the mod team for being downright harmful/ misleading to new players who do not understand the game yet.

4 Likes

you sure are one angry little man arent you, yet you still didnt post your choice of skills on your own while continuing to bash mine.

the reason i say stats dont matter much is because almost every (if not every) skill in the game give a flat amount of damage/heal and scale very badly with stats.

ill give you atleast a proper reasoning why i went with dex instead of spr.

lets say i have 200 spr, what will that get me?

• 400 damage from aspergillum once its attribute is maxed
  • 260 mana
  • 200 mana recovery
  • 200 block penetration
  • 40 magical defense
  • 200 more hp healed by mass heal.
    if i missed anything else that scales well with spr let me know

what will dex get me.

• 200 accuracy
  • 200 critical hit chance
  • 200 evasion

a critical attack roughly deals 50% more damage then a regular hit.
so lets say i have 500 physical attack (which i do) it would add 250 ontop of that, i also have 251 critical attack which makes it +501 damage, which is already enough to outperform the damage bonus i would have gotten from a spr buildā€™s aspergillum.

of course i dont take critical resistance and such into account because its hard to calculate per monster, but ok. lets say the crit dmg and the aspergillum bonus end up the same, what else can we compare?

the mana and mp recovery are unnecessary, dont you agree with me? since the mana usage can easily be covered with potions.
the 200 more healed isnt exactly noteworthy either.

then we have block penetration, now i agree i know nothing about this and im not sure how this benefits a spr based character, if someone could explain this that would be great.

all thats left is 40 magic def, which is great, but in no way holds up against the 200 evasion which allows you to avoid almost ALL physical attacks.

this is why i think dex will win in the end for both offense and defense.
now you might argue that the damage bonus on aspegillum will win in the end if you keep pumping spr: 500 points for 1000 damage.
but note at higher levels your weapon will deal more damage and have higher critical attack stats on them as well allowing for even more damage to easily achieve the same thing.

edit: i choose the title because thats what i think is best, and am trying to get other people to show their own build and their reasoning on why they think theirs is better. dont take it too serious

as far i know monstrance was never changed, the circle acts as debuff and can be ignored. as the skill description says, party members need not to walk over this circle to gain its effect.

1 Like

Personal attacks are just a sign of a weak argument (or none).

I am not here to educate you on how to build a proper chaplain since this isnā€™t a rate-my-build thread.
You published a guide and had furthermore the audacity to placate it as ā€˜ā€˜best skill buildā€™ā€™. This opens it up to scrutiny by the public.

I will not waste my time in engaging a debate with you on Dex vs INT/SPR as the issues are actually quite blatant and again it isnt in my interest to educate you over long paragraphs.

1 Like

ah alright, i wasnā€™t exactly sure whether you were trolling or not until now but you blew your cover. still made me write a wall of text though so gg.

I support OPā€™s lv1 monstrance as he/sheā€™s dex build.
Itā€™s listed on the skill description that the dex buff is partywide and members automatically get the effect upon cast.
capella is immmobile so i think monstrance is a good skill to learn for dex build