Tree of Savior Forum

Magic attack skills healing monsters

While leveling my Pyro I’ve noticed that there are some mobs that heal themselves when being hit by fire element skills.
Examples:
Elet in Demon Prison District 2~3

The big Experimental slimes in Mage Tower

One could argue “but of course they heal when being hit by fire element magic, they are fire element”. That sounds logical, however that does not make sense when looking at other fire element monsters and the element table.
Counter-example:
The small Experimental Slime monsters in Mage Tower are fire element, yet take damage from fire element.

Furthermore, according to the element table fire element monsters should only take 50% total damage from fire magic, not negative damage.

The element table also does not mention anything about different levels of elements (in Ragnarok Online each element had 4 levels that determined the amount of damage reduction or negative damage) so the fire element alone can’t be the reason why some fire element monsters simply recieve reduced damage while others heal themselves when recieving fire damage.

The armor class is also the same for the Experimental Slime types and is different for the Elet, so armor class does not seem to be the reason.
MDef doesn’t seem to be the case either, both Experimental Slimes have the same amount of Mdef.
Is it the size? Maybe only small monsters recieve reduced damage but both medium and large monsters heal? That can’t be it, i am perfectly able to hit and kill XL-sized fire element bosses like Salamander and M-sized normal monsters like Drakes.

So yea, does anyone know why some fire element monsters recieve reduced damage while others heal themselves when being hit by fire element magic? It seems very arbitrary to me, even though there must be a reason for it.
In addition to that : Is there any way to counter that healing effect?

1 Like

It happened in icbt too in some parts of the game. If it would be a feature I wouldn’t mind it…but I still dunno if it is.

If it’s a feature, then they made to pretty fuk up pyromancer, there’s no reason for fire monsters heal while water/lightning/earth doesn’t. I don’t think it’s was made due to class balancing as well.

I don’t know if the samme happens with wind, ice and earth magic, i only have Pyro skills so fire is the only element i could test. It could very well be that the same applies to the other elements as it does to fire element magic.

Sorry, i wasn’t clearly, i tested and it won’t happen, at least at lvl 120- cause i got there with elementalist

hail and thundershock gives normal damage, didnt tested earth

These specific monsters absorb fire damage. There’s a couple monsters in the game that absorb a type of damage.

They are the elite mobs of the area and completely ignorable.

Them and elma (and nuo I think) seem to be immune to status effects also. I can’t freeze nor sleep them. Doesn’t even say resist for sleep. It was like casting on a flying monster.

In some dungeon 115/130, I don’t remember, there are mage monsters that heal of Flame ground too, so annoying, but as far as I noticed Fireball damaged them -_-

Yeah. Because of this, it’s tough for Pyro to grind alone in Demon Prison 2. Couldn’t deal single damage to those Elets…

By then you’re rank 5, use your non-Pyro skill to kill the Elets.

Besides, Harugal is Ice type so you get to do extra damage to it.

For me, I’m Pyro2 > Linker 1 > Thaumature 1 :’(. No other damage skills beside those fire skills. I can kill Harugal and other mobs easily, but then a bunch of Elets mass attack me, can not survive… Definitely need party :(.

Not everyone has access to other elements, especially support builds.
Wiz>Pyro2>Linker1>Chrono here :slight_smile:

But i’m not complaining about not being able to kill them (although it is a bit unfair from the game to first shove an element table-tutorial in my face that says “the worst case scenario is that monsters will only take 50% damage” and then suddenly fire-absorbing enemies show up while physical classes can blindly attack everything without the risk of healing the enemy…), i just want to know why these specific monsters can absorb damage, but other monsters with the (seemingly) same attributes (same element/mdef/size/level/etc) cant or if it may be a hidden mechanic that can’t be spotted by looking through the monsters stats in database or any visual features in the game.
There must be something better than just trial-and-error-testing every monster out there.

This happens with blue elets in kalejima later. Ice element absorb.

Odeio isso. Tem outros monstros que tambem absorvem gelo, mas cryo é suporte, tem outras classes pra dar dano por ele, no caso do pyro é um inferno por que o dano da build vem dele. Pra piorar os monstros de gelo só podem levar um hit da firewall.
È muita desvantagem pra uma classe só.