Tree of Savior Forum

Mace type weaponry

Maces are for a long time the only strike type weaponry [you can strike with a Staff,too, if you press the subweapon attack button, and Musket subweapon attack now also deals strike type damage],
which makes it a unique and nice weapon to have against plate armor enemies.

With the ongoing revamps, though, the Mace has lost its appeal to use, as it’s the weakest weapon type and due to the fact that a lot of skills allow you to deal strike type damage even without having a Mace equipped [Sonic Strike and Mordschlag are two examples].

Also, the new maces are split into two factions:

• One handed maces with stats mainly for magic casting
  • Two handed maces with stats mainly for physically attacking

The main point,though, is the question why to keep using a Mace, since Rod&Staff are performing so much better on Wizards and magic-based Clerics while Sword/Spear perform so much better on Swordsmen and physically attacking Clerics.
This only leaves Mace for hybrid Clerics [which are pretty rare since not a lot of Classes/builds feature equally viable damage options for both attack types, the physical skills are usually a lot weaker on those Classes {e.g. Druid,Bokor,Dievdirbys] and even here it’s performing subpar.

I think the Mace Class category should recieve a small overhaul so it can compete with Sword and Rod while not taking away their specific “superiority”.

1. Mace Class should be unique for having no max attack values.

Mace is the only weapon type where it doesn’t matter with which side or part of the head you hit, maces are formed spheroidic so they always deal the maximum amount of damage.
This is the concept underlying the mace as a form of blunt weaponry.

I’d like to see this introduced in TOS by adjusting the attack of Maces [onehand&twohand] to only have a single value, which should be equal to 100% of the current maximum attack;
E.g.
the current attack value of Skull Smasher (lvl 315, 9 stars) on iTOS is 1031-1140
the new attack value of Skull Smasher would be 1140.

1. Mace weaponry should recieve a unique ability/attribute that allows you to always[or at least have a high probability to do so] use your maximum attack value for strike type attacks and maximum matk value for tile-based magic[maybe at the cost of reducing max attack a little, e.g. -15%, if the max attack is > than the min attack value].

This would make Maces a good choice for people that like less fluctuating attack damage but still want to utilize red gems [especially looking at hybrid Clerics here who’re stuck with red gems as yellow/blue/green gems in weapon only boost one side of the spectrum] and those builds that focus on strike type damage but still use Swords/Spears since they perform a lot better [especially Spear with high attack values and bonus damage against medium sized enemies/boss monsters via attribute].

When my main character (wizard) was level 315 and max level was 330, I looked at what weapon would be best and easiest to get and it definitely was the Vienarazis Mace at that time. It was weird to use a mace instead of a rod (didn’t consider the staff at that time because my armor was crap and I definitely needed the extra PDEF from a shield)… but it was working. I used that mace for a VERY long time…

I also use 2H mace on my Paladin, since you get skills based on that weapon. And I would’nt disagree on pumping the damage on them, they’re really subpar with other weapons considering that they’re 2H.

There are multiple classes that utilize multiple attacking stats such as inquisitior or druid. Seeing as how a mace stands in the unique niche of being part rod part sword it doesn’t really stand to gain without having it outperform either ( especially considering swords are already notoriously weak). So while what you’re saying does make sense any buffs to mace would probably cause it to push other 1handed general weapons out of the slot. A better idea would be to change the equipment bonus ( using a 2handed staff gives you 1 aoe attack ratio, using a 2handed mace gives you 85 block penetration ect) although diev already gets a bonus against plant types maybe expand that to other clerics or maybe even swordsmen. Just a thought :thinking:

I don’t think so. Even by adjusting the mace to have the current max attack value as its base attack value, it’s still weaker than the minimum attack value of a sword. That said, there is low to no chance to supplement for a sword unless it’s either a hybrid build anyway or it has a bonus when using blunt weapons (e.g. Inquisitors God Smash) because the average attack used by a sword is still higher.

It’s basically the same for the rod. The only benefit I get for choosing mace over rod is more base aspd [autoattacking with a rod makes only sense with Daino or Kabbalist C3s Class attribute Staff of Kabbalah] and the chance to stun an enemy in case I have learned the Cleric Class attribute for blunt weaponry.
Going for mace has basically no benefit for me.

This is what I want to change, I want magic users and physical users to have a choice wether using a mace or using a rod/sword is more beneficial for them/their purposes.
Currently there is no choice, one option is simply good while the other one is just performing worse, but has the same upgrade/transcendence costs [i.e. its cost-efficiency is way lower than of the other weapon categories].

Also, neither Wizards nor Swordsmen will be enticed to use a mace by having dual stats, since they only use either patk or matk, so for them there is never a reason to use maces to begin with (the only exception being Vienarazis mace, but that’s because of the intial sub stat-boost provided by the weapon, not by it being a mace…).