Tree of Savior Forum

Linker2 or Linker + Thaumaturge for Chrono?

Hey,

I’am still undecided about taking Linker2 or Linker + Thaumaturge for my Chrono build.

I want to go for Wiz - Pyro - Linker - Linker or Thaumaturge - Chrono3.

As a Linker2 Joint Penalty only adds 3 more enemies to the link and I am just not sure if it is worth taking an entire circle for those 3 extra linked enemies. Hangman’s Knot increase in duration from 2 to 4 seconds seems nice but also not game changing. So far I heared mixed opinions about Spiritual Chain, so either it is really good or wothless depending on the people you ask.
Thaumaturge gives the dmg increase (I am not sure how good it will scale in endgame though, especially if I can only take it up to level 5), nice utility with Shrink and Swell Body and I could go full Int and Transpose to be tanky if needed.

I favour Thaumaturge over a second Linker Rank just because I am not sure how much I would gain from taking Linker to Rank 2, but I am also not sure if I am underestimating it and the new stuff that Thaumaturge adds is not as good as I think it is and will scale badly in endgame.

Hope anyone has an opinion about this and can help me to finally make my decision.

Taking both is fine, but if you end up being in a party with a linker or a thaumaturge, then they’ll be better at doing their job than you are, and you might end up being a waste of a party slot (of course this is a hypothetical situation, but it is a reasonable assumption to say most people going support usually take more than just c1 of linker or thaumaturge).

This is especially true since if you have a thaumaturge in your party, they’ll have higher level buffs than you so you won’t even be using that whole class during that time with the party.

It is nice to have multiple linkers in a party in some aspects; however, you’d need to coordinate/micro-manage your timings in order to not have your links/knots interfere with one another.

Endgame-wise, Thau c1 buffs might end up seeming like a waste since you’re missing out by capping the arm buffs at lvl 5 rather than lvl 15 for your skills.

BUT I will say that having linker c1 thau c1 is useful for the joint penalty + hangman knot + swell body. You will be a very useful farming machine in tandem with Chronomancer’s c3 skills.

About Joint Penalty :
With a monster gem which increases your Joint Penalty level by +1 (Dandel Gem) you can reduce the difference between JP5+1 via gem = 6 targets and JP10 = 8 targets (gem won’t increase target count for JP10) to only 2 targets.

About hangmans knot :
it’s not 4 seconds at level 10, it’s only 3 seconds (1+skillevel*0.2 seconds).

Spiritual Chain, which would be the only reason for me to go linker 2, didn’t really seem that much worth it to me after it got nerfed (many buffs won’t transfer anymore), and considering JP also doesn’t work on Aoes anymore i kept my linker at circle 1 only.
If they ever introduce rank 8/9/10 and if they ever buff spiritual chain up again then i’ll just take linker 2 at rank 8, 9 or 10.

Ok, thank you both!
I will probably have a constant group for endgame stuff where no one else takes Linker or Thaumaturge so I shouldn’t have a problems with other Linker/Thaumas in my party making me useless. Also my ‘main job’ will be Chrono and the earlier ranks should just give a good additional support, but neither Linker nor Thauma will be my main focus.
I guess I will take both classes at rank 1 for now and if they don’t add a new support option with rank 8 I can increase one of them further when I know which one seems more usefull at higher levels.