Tree of Savior Forum

LadyRava's ICBT Feedback

Tree of Savior is a very fun game that needs some work. I was able to reach level 32 on my archer playing every evening for the past seven days after work. A lot of players got farther than me, but I’m more of a smell the roses type player who likes to fully explore the maps and do everything fully before I move on. Despite it’s issues, I was excited every time I was able to log on.

Edits: Added a couple more thoughts. Added a section on storage.

My Thoughts:

Exp/leveling: This has been a hot topic around the boards this past week, but is worth addressing again. I found the exp rate to be fine early game, but slowed down way too much around level 25. I think grinding definitely has a part in this game, but in a game with hundreds of levels, level 25 feels much too early. I also think grinding should be reserved for late game when quests run out. If I’m getting quests for NPCs then I should be at a level to do them. Grinding is also really boring as it is now, since there is no variety. I don’t understand the appeal to those who advocated so strongly for it, after doing it for several hours all I got was 2 levels and a sore wrist. Not satisfying at all.

Quests: I like them. I think quest-based games tell a good story. Tree of Savior seems to have a good mix of quests and adventuring, as the main quest often only took you through a small portion of the map and you had to explore to find more NPCs and quests. I also found several map exits that lead to harder areas and seemed not to be part of the main quest (though they could have been later). This is a nice touch and makes the game not completely linear.

Bosses: I didn’t think they were too easy, but I also soloed all of them. 1 or 2 of the bosses did seem too easy, but in those cases I think there was a bug contributing. They had way too much hp, I spent most of the battle kiting around waiting for my main skills to charge then shooting, and my shots did a very small percentage of their hp bar. Since the battles took too long I found them to often be pot sinks. If the boss battles are going to be made more difficult I think the quantity of them should be reduced. It doesn’t feel like a big event when I’m fighting a boss every 3 quests. Also please pop a warning asking if I want to be sucked into the fight. It’s nice to have a chance to fix gear/weapons or gather a party if needed. I liked the separate instance mode for bosses. I think it would be nice to have that for some dungeons so it can be balanced for one party and doesn’t need to be filled with mobs for the entire server.

Parties: Some points of the game felt like they needed to be done in a party, but the quest based nature of the game made that difficult. Whenever I got in a party they always wanted to grind instead of do quests. It’s really hard to have a party quest together unless everyone is on the same quest. Even in that case some players are faster than others. I’ve played another mmo that was quest based and it had you get all your dungeon quests outside the dungeon and then turn them in outside the dungeon. I think that would be a better system.

Art: The maps are beautiful. I really like the world TOS creates. The sprites are cute. I do think we need more hairstyles/colors and costumes. It was a little silly constantly running into copies of myself.

Combat: Combat was okay. I got the hang of it pretty quick. I found target selection for keyboard to be terrible, it was almost impossible to select the enemy right in front of me. SP was constantly an issue in boss fights, since it doesn’t really help the archer otherwise to put points in spr. Outside of boss battles it was more efficient to only use basic attack. Ranged and magic mobs seemed much stronger than melee mobs. Ranged mobs never missed and magic mobs would still hit you after they were dead.

Blue mobs: I never saw one. But the exp should definitely be lowered. Anything that has the players just camping until that one thing appears is not that great unless it’s a world boss. Leveling by luck should not be a thing.

UI: Needs some work. Keybinding in game is desperately needed. The chat window is terrible. Trying to type a message to your party gets you stuck in chat mode, which can mean death in some circumstances. The chat constantly reverts to “all” mode. A lot of key shortcuts have no where in game they’re explained. Like esc to remove your chat window and enter to bring it back. There should also be an onscreen button to do this. The maps were great. I had no issues with the main maps or the mini maps.

Storage: I hate the silver cost to add or remove an item. I know it’s supposed to be a silver sink, but I think there are better ways to do this. Maybe a cost to expand your storage instead. It would also be nice if there was a way to access storage from anywhere. Maybe sell scrolls with a one time storage access. Also please give us a way to send items to our characters. I want to make an alchemist to provide me with potions, right now this isn’t possible.

Travel: Felt fluid and not annoying. However, a big part of that was probably having the Klaipeda stone, which I believe was a beta only thing. I don’t really think I’ll have a problem not having it, it just may be more annoying having to go from the other end of the map to a warp statue. I do wish all classes had a method of fast travel.

Archer Feedback: I enjoyed playing an archer. Multishot ended up being my mvp skill. It’s probably best not to put more than 5-7 ranks in it though, because the charge time increases with every level and if you take damage it will abort your shot. I was a little disappointed in Swift Step, even though it comboed well with Multishot with attribute upgrades. Based on it’s text it was supposed to make me run faster and shoot faster. But it didn’t feel like it did any of those things. I only took one rank kneeling shot. Apparently you can use it for easy farming, but you certainly can’t run away or kite so you’d have to face easy mobs. It’s completely useless for boss battles unless you have a party since none of the bosses will let you stay stationary. Pressing “Z” over and over again instead of holding it down allowed me to shoot faster, but was much more painful after a long period of grinding. Also too many things are resistant to stab. We only get stab weapons so that seems a bit harsh (only certain subclasses get guns).

Tips:
-Have armor that’s good for physical and magic resistance. I had to go buy a set of cloth armor (to trigger cloth armor mastery) because I started facing mobs that would do half of my health in one hit while the melee mobs did close to nothing.
-Buy an attribute every time you come to town. They take a long time to learn so you won’t be able to group them up
-Be careful selling your quest rewards gear because some of it will be required for later recipe drops.

This was my first time playing in a CBT and it was an awesome experience. Thanks IMCGames for giving me this opportunity!

2 Likes