Tree of Savior Forum

Is Cloth armor in fact Gambeson?

Given that Cloth type armor has the same physical defence value as Leather type armor, there is the undeniable parallel to gambeson and leather armor on our real world.

Gambeson is some thick & layered kind of linen cloth that’s strong enough to prevent cuts,stabs and even arrows (depending on the number of layers/thickness).

So, if both, leather and cloth armor have ~ equal physical defensive capabilities, cloth should be gambeson.

However, if cloth is really gambeson, why is it weak against slash and bow type damage? Shouldn’t it be weak only against pistol,cannon and strike?

What do you think about “cloth” armor in TOS? Is the higher tiered cloth type like the Vienti Oksinis set really gambeson? What about the lowlevel items?
Join the discussion here :slight_smile:

P.S.: some videos for interested people

appearance wise, is not.

Not sure how heavy gambeson is compared to leather, but cloth gear in this game is lighter than leather gears.

https://tos.neet.tv/items/534109 Cloth
https://tos.neet.tv/items/534110 leather

actually, that looks a lot like gambeson, Vienti Oksinis fits gambeson even more.

On the solmiki robe, you have to look at the grey linen part instead of the white overlay which is basically just ornamental;
if we look at the grey linen fabric beneath, it looks a lot thicker and has laced fastening similar to what we commonly see in gambeson, be it the cross shaped lace at the height of the sternum or the straight lace just beneath the collar line.

On top, I don’t really know of any other form that can be classified as cloth armor (= i.e. a form of defensive/protective military equipment per ingame definition) and is as effective as leather armor, hence I dropped the question to discuss if it could be indeed gambeson.

I mean, looking at this game in comparison to other games like e.g. Ragnarok Online, we can easily come to the conclusion that “cloth” in TOS is indeed a type of armor, while in RO cloth is just a term form cheap clothes with no real armor value, e.g. the starting Novice equipment Cotton Shirt, Silk Robe, Silver Robe, etc.
They are never stated to be some kind of armor, they just grant some kind of protection because you’re not running into the fights naked.

Cloth armor is magical fabric imbued with some low grade protection enchantments to make it stronger without disrupting movement or spellcasting. This is a pretty well documented fantasy trope, OP, step it up.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.