Tree of Savior Forum

INT Cleric - Mace or Rod?

Hey guys,

I found the Cleric INT build interesting and decided to try it out.

But I m confused whether to use a Mace or a Rod for this build.

When I equip the Rod, the damage doesn’t really feel like it changed as much but I do negligible basic attacks, at least the Mace allows me to do some kind of damage while my skills are in cooldown.

This is what I m facing at lvl 60.

Will I notice the difference in damage at higher levels?
Should I just use Mace for the time being and then switch to a higher magic damage Rod later on?

Please let me know if anyone knows the answers.

1 Like

I have the same question!

I’m going for Bokor and i don’t know if i should invest on mace or rod

Honestly, you should just stick with a Mace/Hammer until you hit Lvl 120 for a Lvl 120 Rod (Or you could just move up to a Lvl 120 Mace). By then, you’ll have plenty of skills to use. Upgrading a Mace will only boost its physical attack, so if you plan on upgrading a weapon and using mostly skills, you should stick with Rods.

1 Like

Afaik the magic damage on equipment applies to your attack, not your skills. I will do further test on this soon, but I have seen no difference on damage using magic attack on gear thus far.

That said, what you are looking for is the bonuses from the weapon rather than its attack. Rods have +INT, which will boost your damage, while Maces usually have +STR/CON. SPR can be found on both IIRC.

Ideally you want both. Swapping weapons is a bit unresponsive right now, but should be sufficient for your purposes. You don’t even need to buy the attribute - weapons can be hotkeyed. Use rod while you unload your spells and switch to mace when you autoattack. Note, that the effect on your m.atk is applied immediately, so if you cast Cure with rod on and switch to hammer, your cure will immediately start dealing less damage. (I guess it works this way with Zaibas too, but I tested only with cure).

Let’s wait for @Insomm test results, but I do think m.atk on equips work (note all maces have bonus m.atk).

This is for ‘early’ levels, as you progress your basic attacks will start dealing less and less damage and you want to settle for rod.

1 Like

Tested it on a friend with 100 MDEF.

Level 10 Zaibas with no weapon (210-220 MATK) hit for ~220.

Level 10 Zaibas with a 66 MATK weapon (276-286 MATK) hit for ~250.

Level 10 Zaibas with a 98 MATK weapon (308-318 MATK) hit for ~270.

So the weapon does affect the damage of Zaibas, and probably that of other Magic skills.

The question would then be what is worth more, a higher MATK weapon or one with some INT. Regardless, if you aim to support and cast spells the Rod will most likely be a better option over the Mace.

1 Like

Thx for the info guys :smile:

I m using a mace with 90 matk at lvl 100 but I got a recipe for elder rod which gives like 160ish matk which I will use at lvl 120.

Mace was good to throw in some damage while I waited for Zaibas, heal and cure to come out of cooldown but now that I got Bokor…Hexing + Effigy has almost no cooldown so I m casting spells non stop.

Which is obviously causing mana issues…so need to boost some SPR

Ehh, this is hard to understand. MATK/MDEF are supposed to work linearly, so a 66 increase in MATK should translate to 66 increase in damage :<.