Tree of Savior Forum

I'm Crevox, ask me anything

What did the class change quests talk about?
As it had been removed imma always wondering if anyone have memories about them.
And those stories of the class masters tooooo.

Don’t give up and stay alive, may Laima always be with you m(_ _)m

1 Like

Most of them were very short and didn’t say much. It would often just be the class master saying “to advance further, go kill these mobs.” For a while, you could still do the quests from the masters even though they removed their requirement, not sure if that is still true though. It gave attribute points instead. Some of them were also completely modified on ITOS specifically.

When the game was still in beta, there was a group of translators from the community assisting IMC in getting the game localized to English. One of these people had a different mindset when it came to translating, and said it was “his job” to make sure that the text is entertaining in English, so he completely changed some stories and NPC dialogs because they were “boring.” He said that’s what a “localizer” has to do, and it does not matter if the original text is lost. He also changed items and more.

I argued this with him when I found out, but by this time the game was already out for over a year and he was extremely inactive, rarely around and only moderating other people’s submissions and sticking in his opinion whenever possible because he felt he had seniority or control over the project forever. These people all got the “Grand Translator” title on the game’s launch, but most or all of them didn’t even end up playing the game for very long. They all worked hard and certainly helped a lot to get the game ready to go for IMC, but… I can’t agree with that guy and some other specific decisions.

All the text is also still stored in files in TreeOfSavior\release\languageData\English in the QUEST_LV_0100.tsv, QUEST_LV_0200.tsv, QUEST_LV_0300.tsv, etc files, in both English and the original KR text. If you search for things like “Cannoneer”, you’ll find the master’s dialog.

Thank you. I’m trying my best. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Do you think ToS Mobile is a good idea?

Sorry for a long post, but here we go :tired:

I think it was a good idea considering that is the current trend. A lot of the popular MMOs in Korea have a mobile version now, so it was an opportunity for them to release a new polished product to the market
and draw new players in, considering the launch of the PC version was a mess. The one thing I do see missing right now is a link between the PC version and mobile version, which the other games have. This doesn’t mean the same characters and such, but bonuses for connecting the two accounts. This might be because it doesn’t seem like Nexon published the mobile version.

However, it took a very long time. This project was announced a long time ago and appeared at different conferences such as G-STAR. There must have been some development issues that popped up or something else. They reused so many assets and code from the PC version and the game is running on the Unity engine, so I’m not really sure why it took this long. The costumes, housing, towns, cinematics, NPCs, maps, effects are largely all taken from the PC version, with some polish applied.

They also seem to be “starting over” in terms of progression, as the current end game on the mobile version is Earth Tower, so they will likely follow the same order as the PC version and reuse all the dungeons and bosses from the start. This makes any content, bosses, costumes, etc that they make for Tree of Savior double-up as eventual new content for the mobile version that can be easily ported over.

The gacha system of the game feels a little forced by using those “followers” compared to most other games, but maybe they’re appealing enough. They currently promoted one new banner with a character, and the video did not get many views at only 3.8k after a week, so I’m concerned for the game’s popularity…

My main concern with this is they clearly took a lot of time and resources away from the PC version to do this. Kim has also stated that they are betting a lot on the mobile version and hoping it will also bring players to the PC version. I’m worried that if the mobile version doesn’t take off and become a hit, they may not be able to recoup costs and it could be disastrous for IMC as a whole. People are already saying that KTOS only has around 150 players, and the mobile version launched already, so… outlook is not good so far.

EDIT: And just as I said this… Nexon is terminating their contract with IMC Games.

1 Like

What happened with Centurion in KR? I didn’t follow the kToS stuff back then. Do you think we’ll see it return with the remaining scraped classes i.e. mimic, fortune teller, shepherd, puppeteer, and macumbreiro?

With the Nexon/IMC split, do you see a potenntial world where IMC would indepenedently license the game?

Centurion is a class that was almost entirely finished being developed in the beta. It was playable just like all the rest of the classes. However, during the third closed beta, they deleted it from the game and compensated players for it being removed.

IMC posted this about it:

• Centurion will be added at a higher rank, Fencer will replace it at Rank 6.
  • The reason for Centurion’s replacement is that there is not much large scale content (i.e Raids) or guild features yet. Centurion will be added back in later to a higher rank once the time is right.

Fencer was planned for a later rank, but brought in early in order to replace Centurion. As IMC said, they thought it would be much more important for raids and guilds, and didn’t serve much purpose in the game at the time. The Centurion class master sat in game for years near the Sorcerer master, before eventually finally being removed. They just recently reused his NPC portrait for the main story.

The class formed grids around it by using its different skills. Each skill used a different formation and provided different benefits for the squad. The grids would follow the Centurion, and anyone who touched the grid was instantly abducted into the Centurion’s squad, even if they were not in your party. This would make your character automatically move with the Centurion, and whenever the Centurion attacked, your character would attack too. You could leave the grid or use skills as desired, however.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Centurion skills. Some of these were reused for later skills (Sauk, Rideti, Charist). You can read the skill descriptions here: https://www.tosbase.com/game/classes/Centurion.

During beta in ITOS, a very large exploit was found, and thankfully it was found before the game’s release. In the game’s folder on your computer, there was an XML file that saved all of your hotkeys. You could assign any function to any key, including internal game LUA script functions. The game was significantly lacking security.

By abusing this, people were able to accept any quest in the game by just calling a function that accepts a quest with right quest ID. People found a quest that requires you to simply talk to an NPC and gives EXP cards, so max level was achieveable extremely fast. However, the biggest glitch was that you could accept the quests to become a class. This allowed you to add any class from any tree to your build, and thus people played Centurion in the beta, even though the class was “removed”. They also came up with some nice builds:

That is a circle 4 Paladin by the way, which is why he has Level 20 Smite.

Anyways, long story short, they never added the class back in. We can only speculate why, but the class was one of those IMC ideas that sounded really cool on paper, but in execution didn’t really make sense or work very well. They might’ve been able to rebalance it and such to work, but they chose not to. We’ve seen it once or twice more in-game via exploits that came far later, but very rarely and it was promptly fixed every time. I don’t think they’ll re-add it unless there is a huge demand from the community. The other classes you mentioned didn’t have even a single skill added for it in the client yet, so they may not have gotten anywhere past the “name and costume” phase of development.

I don’t think so. IMC is planning to self publish the game on Steam, just like they do with ITOS and JTOS. This gives them full control over what they want to do with the game and their IP, but also now requires them to pay for everything. They have to pay for the web servers, the game servers, all other administrative services and fees, and also more employees to manage those things. They are no longer being paid by Nexon to make new content for the game.

The move may have positives, but I worry about the negatives.

2 Likes

Hi, I also played during release, but was never good at the game… even now, my main character is only level 120ish. I am thinking of restarting the game… some questions…

1. Is it really worth starting the game now, as a new (not so good) player? Everyone is like, game is doomed!!! But it is really a very pretty game!

2. I would like to level up slowly and enjoy the story, any tips on how to play the game?

3. I never had much silver, and now we cannot farm silver any more. What should I do? Do people still buy tokens in the market?

You can start anytime. The player count is low, but there’s enough players to do any content in the game. You can see everything and play any class you want.

I don’t expect the game to shutdown any time soon, if that’s what you’re worried about. Anything is possible but IMC is still committed to ToS and ToS mobile as a whole.

IMC puts a lot of focus on the end-game and getting players to the end-game grinds, but you can go through the story at your own pace. Even if you overlevel you can keep doing the story to experience all the content and lore.

People do buy and sell Tokens, yeah. I’m not certain on the current economy and how players are farming silver (since I haven’t played in 1 year), but farming things people need and selling them is always a good thing. Someone else might be able to chime in with easy silver farming tips in the current end-game.

1 Like

From my recent experience:

If you join the TOS support guild, you can still see many new players joining every day, so the game is far from dead. The problem with game management is not that they don’t attract new players, but that they don’t keep them. But if you’re not too concerned about it, the game is really enjoyable – music and visuals are still there and that will never change. So yeah it’s worth starting, you should be able to meet many people to play with and help you start.

Well… you just do that – level up slowly and enjoy the story. Instead of having to choose “Orsha or Klaipeda” at start, it’s now “West Siauliai Woods or Moroth Embassy”. If you choose West Siauliai Woods, you start at level 1 and enjoy the full story. If you chose Moroth Embassy, you will experience some “interlude” chapter that will do some exposition that takes place between episodes 12 and 13 and you will be instantly level 440 at start and level 450 at the end of the quest line. IMO you should start fresh and do the story first. When your first character reaches the end of episode 12, you can make an alt and do the Moroth Embassy interlude to pick up more lore facts, and then you resume your main with episodes 13 and 14.

Leveling up poses no problem, as the game now gives you some Growth equipment right from the start, and that equipment will level up along your character, so you will be able to reach level 440 without ever grinding for anything.

Tokens are only useful if you plan on trading with others. As a beginner (or returner) you will get packs with 7 days tokens (2 or 3) that you can use here and there to transfer stuff from chars to storage or to buy/sell from the market more easily. However, each “full” token is now 40 million silver per month, a sum that many people cannot afford to pay since as you pointed out it’s much harder to get silver. Not mentioning that tokens in market are now really rare.

(I just hate that all those animated emotes are gated behind a token… it’s just stupid…)

Concerning silver, your best bet as a starter is simply do all the quests – each one will give a fair amount of silver, which will be multiplied by five for your first character. Not mentioning all the white weapons/armor items you can sell along the way up to a certain point (when they will be replaced by pointless unID crap – never bother with these, it still eludes me why they are still in the game).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.