Tree of Savior Forum

Id rather buy the game instead of p2w(nexon)

CCP games probably with EVE Online, maybe? They’re the company that started that whole pay for game time with in-game money bit. A pristine reputation goes basically to GGG and they don’t share their financials with anyone. The only things they have shared is information on their two fund raisers and that got them 1.2mil+2.5mil. They started with a team of 20 and run a team of 50 now.
Source: http://www.develop-online.net/news/path-of-exile-secures-1-2-million-in-crowdfunding/0113205
Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10862594

For comparison with another content rich game: Witcher 3 made 5mil in it’s first few weeks and will continue to have trickle in money for a long while. And CD Project is pretty ecstatic over that. Think they paid for the game already and then some.

1 Like

Do you live in Japan?

If the answer is no then what nexon does is irrelevant to you.

talk about how steam games selling 1m.
all of them are like english based with some marketing behind them (like console releases) they aren’t foreign localized games

sorry but that list has ZERO application to ToS.
as a Buy 2 Play it would be surprising to see it even move 100k-150k units at the most.
with even less being active within the game buying into the cashshop (because the purchase of the game really doesn’t cover the cost of the continued upkeep of staff and servers, that’s still done by an in game cash shop)

even Guild wars 2 has a cash shop, and also made it’s core game free recently too. (no more b2p)

I agree with what your saying but that change is only because of the expansion the expansion is still purchase and comes with the original game so its not really free.

gasp

You spoke bad about the sacred Nexon, the almighty cash whore! I’m sending a ticket! Expect a swift ban between 4-8 months!

2 Likes

IM SORRY ! IM SORRY ! :cry:

Cash shop is too much a money bringer to not have in the game. And with an asian-based online game, a gacha-system will always follow.

The real question is that it’d be fair to both rates and content inside. for example, you would never want a gacha as awfully broken a system as cosmic breaks absurdity. 1% chance in a payed gacha to get something so incredibly broken those who have it almost always win against those who play for free causing people to drop upwards of $200 just to get it to be competitive.
Compare that to say… Mabinogi’s gacha (oh hey a nexon game) which 90% of the time the main prize is just fancy outfits everyone wants or other equipment that looks cool, but doesn’t give any real huge benefit to owning because of how stats are in that game. (of course, they screw you other with reforges instead, but that’s not a gacha.) even though the rates aren’t much better it’s not like you miss out on anything other than visually.

Pretty much the only consistent way for an MMO to make money through the cash shop without becoming pay to win is by adding a tonne of costumes and the game becoming a fashion game.

O god no. That would make me not spend money. But i suppose its what gets the most out of the majority and not me specifically.

The expansion does not come with the original game. (not as a free expansion, correction)
You do need to pay additional for it. (Price is about what you expect for an expansion)
Source : I am among the plethora of plebs who owned GW2 prior to the expansion.

GW2’s cash shop works and it does it well.
I didn’t spend anything on it and still did well.
The way they handled transactions and conversions were exemplary.

I stand by the point that this is a good thing.
There is a requirement, though. The game has to be worth its cut, to begin with.

You got me backwards i said if you purchase the expansion the original game is included as displayed on their site.

Not if you buy the original you get the expansion.

after re reading this it is a little confusing and could have been typed clearer, but it does say what i wanted it to.

You somehow quoted my your quote in my name.
Anyway, my bad.

Yea if you quote yourself after someone else quoted you it shows up under their name. Also no problem it was badly written on my part.

@thebloodyaugust
While we’re on the topic, GW2’s cash shop is actually not unreasonable for the F2P standard.
The game’s main source of income is more from the cash shop than the purchase of the game, I imagine.
Not to say the 30/60 bucks per purchase doesn’t add a lot.

Perhaps IMC might consider a B2P or premium status function to tie into it.
Things like bag slots, character slots, guild banks(questionable), special cosmetics and whatever else.
It might not seem like a fair deal, but so long as it doesn’t obstruct or cause too much discontent among players… I can imagine it working out.

I agree i often point to GW2 cash as how to do cash shops right. I also like that you can exchange cash shop <-> in game currency either way it really kills gold sellers.

Mind you last time i looked at GW2 they didn’t have any of that awful roulette crap. Do they have that now?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

What the heck are you talking about? IMCgames didn’t develop Maplestory. Wizet developed Maplestory and Nexon Published it.

1 Like

Look guys, he’s predicting the sales of an unfinished, unreleased F2P game based off of its activity in its first limited-entry CBT that lasted 5-6 days.

As for the IMC developing Maplestory thing, you’re drunk.

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Well that shouldn’t matter for IToS because we’re not going to be related to NexonNA but Japan and Korea will as was said previously :smiley: So no real biggie for International players. And as stated previously as well, CEO of IMCgames doesn’t like P2W and made a contract IIRC that said they are controlling the Cash Shop and not Nexon so all should be good for Japan and Korea as well.

1 Like

Please, no more of this.

Nothing we say will change the payment model (or lack thereof) that the game is going to have. These discussions are literally pointless x-x;

The only reason the game’s type would change is because they either need to do it to stay afloat or to make more money. And even if players are running around saying they won’t play the game because it’s P2W end up not playing it…It won’t do a thing. There a quite a few P2W games that are pretty popular and doing very well since, as far as I can tell, the average player doesn’t care much about that. Or they’ll grin and bear it because they like the game.

The only way a company would change their payment model this late in the game would be if most of their playerbase(s) stopped playing and refused to play until something was changed. Something that will never happen, it’s the same idea as why gold sellers exist; people buy from them. F2P/P2W exists because, enough people WILL spend money to make it profitable.