Tree of Savior Forum

Ice Bolt vs Energy Bolt

Hey. :slight_smile: I’m leveling a Cryomancer and one thing I’ve noticed is how Energy Bolt currently outshines Ice Bolt. The only reason I can see for Ice Bolt to be used is its freeze chance, and Ice Spike does that job better too. Energy Bolt now scales and has no cast animation, not to mention its low cooldown.

I once read that Ice Bolt’s casting animation improves with more points invested in the skill. Is this true? If so, is it really enough for it to be considered a good spell to use?

By the way, in the following build: Wiz 2, Cryo 3, Kino 1, Warlock 2, how many points do I need in Ice Wall? How worse the build gets if I change Kino for RC?

Thanks in advance.

Ok so, as a Cryomancer Main and Ice lover.

Ice bolt becomes faster charging the more levels you put into it. It is not good damage wise so leveling it is kind of nonsense unless you are a 100% freezing cryomancer. I have 0 points on it and rely on ice pike and frost pillar. Ice pike can be interrupted by jumping and hits multiple targets, simply better than ice bolt for me.

So now for the build you suggest. If you are going cryo3 kino1 i suggest RC1 for rune of ice instead of wiz2.

Taking into account you kino-cryo combo is going to allow you only to hit 9 walls (lvl 5 PP) or 10 walls if you have PP gem. If 10 walls, get lvl 9 ice wall, if 9 walls get lvl 8 ice wall, you don’t need more walls since you won’t be able to hit them by yourself.

Cryo3 is a great mobbing class, which will work correctly with warlock. Kino is taken with Cryo for the PP + ice wall combo usually. Not taking RC reduces the final output of this combo. taking Wiz2 i guess it’s for surespell which is not bad, yet it only affects kino pp. If you change kino for RC1 then having surespell makes a lot more sense since you have runes to cast and you don’t want to get interrupted.

I would either suggest Wiz1cryo3kino1rc1warlock2 or wiz2cryo3rc1warlock2.

[I personally consider ice bolt as fast casting once you get it to lvl 7]

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed answer! :slight_smile:

Good to know, I was considering not using Ice Bolt. Energy Bolt does its job way better in the earlier levels, and I think it will continue to do so the later the game gets.

What is your opinion on Gust?

The first build you mentioned, with Wiz 1. Is it easy / worthwhile to use it even without Surespell?
I was guessing the 4s cast times on RC would be inefficient when doing damage, since we can use other spells during that time; at the same time, we don’t have that many spells… Do you ever feel you’re missing damage while casting RC spells?

Thanks again in advance.

i have level1 on it

maybe good skill to have but i never use it

I kinda hope they change Icebolt to work like energybolt…

1 Like

Yeah, it would be nice if it worked as Energy Bolt does. The main thing is the cast speed.

I personally use runesas last resort when other skills are on cooldown or combined with frost pillar. I hardly ever use them.

Hmmm… I’m finding it very hard to decide which path to choose. My Cryo is level 50 and wiz 2 / cryo 1 at the moment; it would be easy to start over, should I choose the rune caster + kino version. I must say the RC costume is my favorite, although I’m unsure about RC’s efficiency. What you said is true: Surecast, in my current build, is only for IW+PP and Snow Rolling; and a better Sleep and Energy Bolt hardly matter.

I created this topic to research about Ice Bolt, now I’m having doubts regarding my build! Haha

Gust deals high dmg if you learn passive skill for it which makes it do dmg to non-frozen mobs (2x) and frozen (3x)

You can totally go with your main build you decided [wiz2cryo3kino1warlock2]. Right now IW + PP is kind of in a strange spot unless you reach high levels of MATK.

It’s an awesome combo if you are buffed with blessing and it’s lack luster by it’s own unless you get around 5k MATK which is super late game.

You could not go RC and still do good damage if you buy a nice blessing from shop or from party member.

Without RC runecasting your build will be smoother and less cluncky considering wiz1. But being kino1cryo3 don’t expect to do over 1-2M burst damage.

1 Like