Tree of Savior Forum

I Like Gemstone Feud and I Want it to Last

So, I like gemstone feud. I think that it’s a fun mode that allows for many different ways of participating. My concerns are about two things.

The first is the timing of the game mode. I think that it is weird that one instance takes place at the same time as guild territory wars would be. For now there is no GTW, so it’s not an issue but I hope that it won’t overlap in the future. I also find the spacing of the game mode to be awkward. I understand that having limited times is a means of focusing the playerbase so that the mode has a healthier population. What I find a bit frustrating is that it occupies such a small time span while also trying to be something exciting enough to stop everything else you could be doing so that you can participate.

Usually my activities are divided into two types. One type is short activities that are easy to start and finish. An example of this would be the Rainbow Trek event. I can complete a course in less than five minutes. It takes no preparation and I can easily do it while waiting for my friends to do something else. The other type are long activities that take preparation. This might be a CM that requires that I take the time to recruit a party or GTW which would require that a guild spread its planning over days while also spending time to come together right beforehand.

GF (Gemstone Feud) occupies a weird territory between the two extremes. On the one hand it’s an individual activity like Rainbow Trek. On the other hand it has enough priority to occupy a scheduled time slot like GTW. Yet, the time it takes to participate in GF lies in an awkward place immediately between the two modes. It’s not short enough nor flexible enough to be treated like a short activity that I can conveniently do in between other things. It’s also not long enough or important enough (I’ll get to this point later) to demand the sort of attention that I’d give a longer activity despite having the inflexibility of a scheduled event.

Right now I don’t think most people will find it worth planning around GF in the long-run. Most people won’t want to drop whatever they’re doing so that they can participate in a 15-minute activity. My suggestion is that instead of having one round at the beginning of an hour you might consider having 3 or 4 rounds per hour, back-to-back. This way, someone that really wants to do GF can play a few times in a row. If I’m in the mood, I think I would enjoy the option of going at it for 30 minutes or an hour.

I mentioned before that I think that having the mode open infrequently would help concentrate the population. Obviously, having the game mode be open multiple times in one hour would go against this and it might reduce the population. As a compromise, maybe there could be one less active hour.

My second concern is how rewarding the game mode is. I want this game mode to draw enough interest for there to be a decent population, and I think the key is to make the rewards of this mode sufficiently enticing. Right now I think they’re very lackluster. Most players probably will not be very interested in the looting chance potion or the buff potions. Most players don’t grind drops that much nor really understand the value of looting chance (and honestly the 100-LC potion isn’t actually that amazing anyway). The other potions are too specific to be constantly desirable. That really leave the blessed gem as the only item of real interest to most players. The fact that it’s limited to one purchase per day seems to some acknowledgement of this fact.

Before I go into whether or not it’s actually worth working towards this bless gem, I’d like to point out how GF has the potential to be more broadly appealing than TBL in its current state. It offers ways of playing that can appeal to less PvP-focused players, but it needs to be rewarding enough to entice those players in order to keep the population of the mode up.

Now back to the blessed gem. It costs 2000 medals. I was able to earn about 2900 medals in 5 rounds, and I’m going to take that as a sort of representation of how fast a player might be able to earn medals. Obviously, results can vary. 5 rounds takes 1 hour and 15 minutes, so it averages out to be about 2320 medals per hour, or 1.16 blessed gems per hour.

Let’s compare this to Saalus. Sure, it just got nerfed but we can still consider the effectiveness of the most time efficient part of Saalus: the first three runs. In those runs you gain 3 blessed shards per run and I think it’s possible to easily run Saalus within 8 minutes (6 minutes if you’re really good). This turns out to be about 22.5 shards per hour or 2.25 gems per hour. This is almost twice as many blessed gems per hour compared to GF, and you get some silver and other drops on the side.

I think that GF should be the sort of thing that’s worth doing one a day or two. Maybe it should be slightly more worthwhile than Saalus. Cut the price of blessed gems to 1000 medals. Then it might be worthwhile enough to justify a special time slot. PvP is also a bit more inconsistent, so a cost like that might be good enough to take on the risk of inconsistency.

4 Likes

they should do it one week a month all months xD

2 days on this event and the players don’t care anymore because the reward its kind of useless. unfortunatly its better go to farm gems on HG even if you have to share the 1 of 5 chanels with 10 players. and its imposible to find some elite mob.

just a nice event with a bad reward. thinking that only players ebove
350 lvl can participate

They designed the event to be an alternative source of Blessed shards/Gem. I hope they replace the gem in the shop with shards instead for a more rewarding feeling after each match. Applying the same PVP rules used in TBL, ensuring that both sides have similar number/power (atk/def values) and maybe add a chance to mine actual blessed shards from the event (albeit at low chances or a Mini world boss in the middle as an event at the end [while event is up, both sides cant harm each other] where world boss rules apply. The team that has the highest dps and the team that hits it first/last gets a cube (shards/Gem/other))

One thing I found annoying in this map is the targetting. I tried to bring a Musket to try and gain an advantage with my range but the targetting system is so wacky that i needed to stand next to the monster just to target it and the same situation with my linker. Maybe the situation is better for mouse mode players but this needs some improvement

1 Like

They announced changes to GemFeud in the recent Popolion Post (page 28-)! On page 29 they announced that they’re consolidating when it’s open (one thing I wanted - yay) but also increasing the medal reward rate. That’s effectively the same as making the bless gem cheaper, so that also makes me happy. They’re also adding a new item you can buy (silver ichor kit) but I’m not sure it’s that great.

Looks like they’re applying PvP rules to the mode, so that’s neat.

1 Like

Until they fix people being able to join parties after they get in the instance it will be broken.

1 Like

Honestly getting a gem every 2-3 runs looks pretty nice for a daily minigame, but silver ichor kit sounds nice!

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.