Tree of Savior Forum

How I thought the World map will be like

Quoting this: “I rly don’t know how the game looks/feels on higher levels but I’m still afraid ppl just saying it’s less linear because they never played with a real non-linear game. :x” I hope you arent refering to RO, because that game was linear as hell lol. It only gave you the “idea” of freedom. If you want me to expand on my argument, I’ll do so. Unless you werent talking about RO:

1 Like

Did you played Ragnarok before the Renewal? Because it wasn’t linear in any way at that time. Now I can’t rly say that… But even the “renewal Ragnarok” will be more non-linear if ToS will be like iCBT was. The other game that is quite non-linear is Mabinogi… I don’t even know if I played anything else that is non-linear because 90% of the mmos are linear imo and that’s sad.

I played RO for 9 years, all pre renewal. The game only gave you a illusion of choice/freedom. There was always an optimum path to level up given your class(same thing tos will surely have). Also, having to go back to a lower level map just to get a card isnt what i call “non linear”, even more so when only a few cards were actually good/decent/usable.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Well you still have to progress in these games that’s for sure but there is a difference between where “there is an optimum path to level up” and where you are forced to level on the same places.
In Ragnarok there was pretty much a place to level for every kind of class and beside that there were options for different kind of parties too.
…and yes cards/equipments matter too and pre renewal you could level on those monsters that you hunted for cards even if it gave rly bad exp.
There were bosses on low level maps too that mattered for high level players too…you couldn’t even beat them with low level players.
The towns in Ragnarok weren’t restricted to levels either. I don’t say it was perfectly done but at least you still had to go for Blue Gems or Yggdrasil leaves to different towns. You had to go for job changing to different places too.
The way how equipments worked made it non-linear too. We didn’t change equipment every 10 levels or so. When you had a higher level character you were avaible to make a pretty badass little character and level much faster.
The quests were bad in Ragnarok but they were spread across the whole game too.

I don’t say Ragnarok was perfect…but it wasn’t as linear as most of the games nowdays… and here is the chance for ToS to make everything better than that Ragnarok did but I’m afraid they rather go with generic game mechanics from this aspect.

1 Like

ToS also has field bosses(I guess you are refering to: gtb,moonie,eddga,stormy, maya. Since barely anyone needed vocal/mastering/vagabond wold unless you were playing a random SN). Please explain to me, how were you forced to level up in X location here? My quests took me all the way to tenet chapel/veja ravine, but I decided to level up till 45-50 at tenet garden

I think you are too focus on the gameplay, which is fine. However, I started this thread to focus on the design of the world. If you compare them both. RO’s design actually feels like you are in world. In TOS’s case you just start from bottom to top, so it’s rather linear. I know it might just be looks/feels, or it’s just an illusion to some. However, there is a reason why I think RO’s design is better, and that reason is immersion.

2 Likes

I take it that you didnt play RO when this was the map http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u23/iRoElonar/map_all00.jpg

Yes, just what @ImLazyxD said and Sweet Gent was one of my favourite hats ( Vocal drop ) XD but yeah i was talking about Mvps and there were a lot. I don’t know how field bosses work in ToS but if they will be restricted to levels… and by that I mean again that the low level bosses drop only low level stuff and on low level maps there are only low level bosses… That’s quite linear again… and same with quests too but i talked about that earlier .

The problem with that you just posted above me is that we have a lot of maps already and they aren’t distributed well… If would have just a few maps of course you can’t do too much with them… On the other hand even those few maps are distributed better in that early Ragnarok than what I experienced in ToS…

I think that Ragnarok map is better, because it has a design with a world in mind. The tree of savior’s design is more of a ladder if anything.

I think I will always like the old school look with a Helm [1] on my Knight.

1 Like

That IS LINEAR. The levels of areas make a down-to-up linear way.

2 Likes

Lol not at all. Some area below have 100+ level mobs,others have 200+ lol.

So you quote Grillo who thinks the world map is as linear as a train track, and you link a map that all of us thinks it’s linear. Hello? TracioDaito was talking about the design of the map in general. He/She was never talking about if it had level 100 or 200 mobs below or above. The map design is linear as of a ladder. You know you can also climb up and down a ladder too, right?

We know it’s your opinion. That’s great, and thanks for your input. So you don’t need constantly force yourself just because you don’t agree with ours.

There’s severe penalties for fighting things outside a narrow level range. In the early levels, the part of the game where it matters most, there’s only one map at each recommended level.

Your map shows three separate paths and you could level new characters near different towns.

3 Likes

Grillo has always the best quotes.

1 Like

I agree with you!!!

But I saw him first o_o

1 Like

Etrian Odyssey V when, Fatlus?